Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V, Black Diamond
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else having popping in the front end when backing up and turning? I've had it in to Cadillac twice now and they tell me nothing is wrong. It is making the same sound my Tahoe did when I had a bad CV Joint.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
It may your tires "crabbing". Common with stock PS2 tires in the winter. The rubber hardens in the cold and skips on the pavement when backing or going forward slowly with the wheel turned. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,183 Posts
My understanding is GM said to torque the wheels to 158 ft. lbs. and not the standard 140 ft. lbs. Maybe another member will verify this, please.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Is it a really loud popping? When it happens, people stare and have made comments about it.
Yes. You can hear it inside and outside of the car.

----------

My understanding is GM said to torque the wheels to 158 ft. lbs. and not the standard 140 ft. lbs. Maybe another member will verify this, please.
I believe you are correct. This comes up each winter. I believe some have (at least temporarily) eliminated the problem by over tightening the lugs. It has something to do with the geometry/camber of of the front end and the PS2's.
Another reason I will be buying PSS's next time.

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V Monster
331 Posts
Yes, if you torque it to 150 it should stop and it doesn't matter if it's PS2's or PSS tires.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V, White, Manual, Bone stock, no sun-roof
510 Posts
The higher torque spec of 158 lb-ft was introduced to help with the wheel clicking, not the crabbing.

12,778 Posts
Good morning beanqueen1062,

I can understand how a popping noise like this would be concerning. It looks like you’ve already received some feedback from the rest of the forum, but I’d be happy to look into this from my end as well. If you are interested, please PM me with your VIN, mileage, dealership name, and personal contact information.

Have a great day,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,183 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CTS Performance
42 Posts
yes, I noticed my popping as well.any suggestions? winter is just about over here in York,Pa..so will I hear that sound when the weather warms up? what I still hear it in the spring time?

·
Registered
13 6MN Vagon OBM
295 Posts
yes, I noticed my popping as well.any suggestions? winter is just about over here in York,Pa..so will I hear that sound when the weather warms up? what I still hear it in the spring time?
While it's worse in the cold, you're likely to hear it even after it warms up. Remember, it's a function of front-end geometry, sticky OEM rubber, and a large contact patch. When you're backing out of a driveway or space and execute a 'K-turn" and crank the wheel one way or the other, your outside tire is covering much more ground (rotations) than your inside tire. That inside tire can skip along the pavement or surface, causing the audible popping sound.

I agree, it sounds horrific, but once you realize there's no harm in it, and it's unavoidable, then it should bother you less. Just an annoying side effect of having incredible levels of handling in a daily driver...

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V
15 Posts
Just had this EXACT same problem dealt with and the issue is subject to and is a sign of worn Michelins PS2's. I know some of you may pass judgement and say you dont need tires,but im telling you what the fix was for me which the dealer told me too was the culprit because they get the complaint all the time from CTS-V owners. I changed my tires to MPSS the noise when backing up and turning sharply went away completely and is now gone! Its just a tire change issue, no more than that.

·
Registered
2014 cts-v
38 Posts
The dealer I used for this problem changed out the front lug nuts now all is silent.
The P2's do skip on cool pavement when turning tight backing up though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts