Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My project this weekend is installing an Amp for the rear shelf speakers . Going with a fairly cheap amp for right now so i can see what sort of diffrence it will make ( the amp i want is 300 bucks, i wanna know for sure it will do what i want), and if i want to go this direction or a powered subwoofer . It claims to have "soft start mute" or something , so here is the question ...

A few freinds of mine have cars , all heaps with these halfass installed cheap systems (well in my opion there halfass , real poor wireing). All of them on startup have this nasty "Pop -Thud- Boom" , as the amp powers up. Is there any tricks in the wireing/setup process that will keep it from happening?

Gonna do it "by the book" and hopefully i wont get the noise , and i can get an idea out of this cheap ass amp if its something i wanna do ....

But i sure as hell WILL NOT put up with any of that craptastic noise ...

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well its in and working GREAT , no noises , and the sound is WAY beatter ....Its damn near perfect for me ....

here is where i mounted it (electronics rack), the wires have been cleaned up a bit after this pic , i wanted to make sure everything worked before i finished it ....of coarse when the carpet and pertition is in it you cant see anything ...

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
yea but will it over heat thats the true test a shitty amp like a vr3 in the trunk behind carpeting and no ventalation i think its gonna cut out and shut down quite often

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CadillacETC1997 said:
yea but will it over heat thats the true test a shitty amp like a vr3 in the trunk behind carpeting and no ventalation i think its gonna cut out and shut down quite often
LOL , yah it could get ugly ...

Monkeyd with the head unit , since its aftermarket it had a setting for its rear pre outs , didnt know what all the stuff ment but ran up and down on them it the system REALLY came alive ....Its just perfect now ...Ran it for a hour or so nothing cut out YET , but the gain is only at about half , and im gonna turn it down a bit more , i really dont lsiten to it very loud , but i like a full range of sound out of it ....

But i agree that amp aint gonna last long ....Do you think the more expensive alpine amp in lookin at will be ok in that spot or do i really need to get it out in the open ?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2PkLjOvEn6e/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&I=500MRPF450

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
for how you are mounting it id recomend an audiobahn amp most of them have built in fans to help keep them cool

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cool , when el cheapo dies its nasty long slow death i shall replace it with that ....

till then it stays in the torture chamber !!!!

man does it sound great right now tho , cant belive the diffrence an amp makes on these aftermarket speakers ....

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Stoney, if you are using the amp just for the 6x9 and not at maximum volume all the time, it could be fine where it is. Not the perfect location, but good enough.

A more powerful amp most likely will need a different positioning.

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
D148L0 said:
Stoney, if you are using the amp just for the 6x9 and not at maximum volume all the time, it could be fine where it is. Not the perfect location, but good enough.
A more powerful amp most likely will need a different positioning.
Yah i really dont listen at full volume , today was the first day i had it up as far as it would go , man is it loud ....spent my lunch hour tuneing everything , up till then i had ALOT of bass but not much else out of the rear , finnaly got a nice balance between front and rear and the full range of sound i want , gain is at 1/2 , and the non fade is at -1 so its really detuned from what it could deliver

·
Registered
96 sts
126 Posts
Your amp should not overheat at all the way it is. Unless it is very very shitty. The way the amp is set up it is only using half of its max power.

Your set up is more than likely this:
2 channels in stereo to 2 - 4 ohm loads = half your amp's max power

If your 6X9 speakers are special and are 2 ohm (not likely) then it is like this:
2 channels in stereo to 2 - 2 ohm loads = you amp's max power

1 - 12 of 12 Posts