Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of us 93-96 fleetwood owners don't like the wrinkled, peeling spears.. I know and I bought a set of the custom aluminum replacement ones for a bunch of money. Well I just picked up another dark blue 96 FWB. It is going to replace my 94 FWB that had a carriage top I took off and looks like $hit with 50 plus holes drilled all over the place. I got the 96 cheap because it has a bad transmission, I have a good replacement transmission. Well the spears are wrinkled and started thinking about those high dollar replacement ones.. The stock and aluminum replacement ones have a rounded shape but is kind of teardrop, but you really have to study it to see what I mean.. I could not find any stock that size and shape. What I did find was some half round aluminum bar stock. That matches the stock spear size just about perfect. So I bought that. What I did for the front spears was, cut 2 pcs a inch or so longer than finish . Then I taped the two together to make a round bar. I put it in a lathe chuck with just enough sticking out to make the angle. At the rear, of the lathe , being careful to protect with tape not to scratch anything. I supported the material so it would not whip around. I set it compound to 4 degrees and cut the point then shaped the end round with a file. Then polished it up to get all tool marks out . Then I did my best to duplicate the other end with a cut off wheel and bench grinder. If you did not have a lathe you could do it with a bench grinder and sandpaper. Then comes the polishing. That is the easy part. I got this stuff, I will have to go look at the name, that shines it up by hand with a rag in 10 mins. Then after its all shiny I put a sealer on it.. It is wizard something , I have to go look at the name and post later. Anyone thinking of trying to do it? Dave

·
Registered
66DeVille Vert 76Coupe Delegance 07Escalade ESV 96Fleetwood 83Coupe Deville 70Calais
661 Posts
i used some universal chrome half round 3m trim that actually matches the factory size and slight tear drop shape. To do a whole fleetwood it costs like $35.

2013-09-23 16.56.39.jpg
20140728_141348-2.jpg

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey CoupeDTS are the ones you used solid and stuck on with double sided tape? If I could figure out how to post pictures off my phone I would show mine.

·
Registered
66DeVille Vert 76Coupe Delegance 07Escalade ESV 96Fleetwood 83Coupe Deville 70Calais
661 Posts
Yes, just stick on plastic trim, you can see it in the picture next to the original trim shape. Only bad side is you cant get chrome on the ends because you see the black insides on the ends, but nobody noticed that on mine. I just added my budget option for anyone reading this topic. Sounds like yours are very custom made and pictures would be cool. If they turned out good and you have access to the material and have time to make more you could consider selling them.

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
481 Posts
Yes, just stick on plastic trim, you can see it in the picture next to the original trim shape. Only bad side is you cant get chrome on the ends because you see the black insides on the ends, but nobody noticed that on mine. I just added my budget option for anyone reading this topic. Sounds like yours are very custom made and pictures would be cool. If they turned out good and you have access to the material and have time to make more you could consider selling them.
How did you taper the front to match?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I did was tape two pieces together , put them in the chuck on a lathe and cut a 4 degree taper into a radius on the tip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts