Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like Costco but they sure shot themselves in the foot several times on a recent purchase.

I ordered a big ticket item online using a MasterCard that gets me 1.5% cash back.

A while later, they lowered the price $20. So, I filled out an online form requesting a refund of $20 (plus tax on it).

I guess customer service is backed way up and I never even received an acknowledgement for my request. So I waited.....

Not hearing anything back and the lower price coming to an end, I ordered it again online and returned the first one to a local Costco. It was a shame they ended up with a used item they'd have to dispose of some way.

But, Costco stores can't processes MasterCards. So, they chose to issue the refund to a VISA I have, meaning I'll keep the 1.5% cash back reward on the initial purchase. Maybe that's just a loss for Mastercard; don't know if CC companies have some agreement with big retailers where the retailer effectively pays part of rewards. But either way, Costco won't get back any transaction fee on the initial purchase.

Then (you might have seen this coming) I get a notice from Costco online telling me they issued the price-match $20 (plus tax) credit to my MC used to purchase the original item. So at that point they basically have PAID me $20 plus 1.5% of the original purchase price on top of a full refund.

I tried to contact Customer Service to get the adjustment unadjusted and find there is an hour plus wait for either phone or chat and no email option.

I guess I'll just walk by and toss a $20 bill on the customer service desk the next time I go to a local Costco.

·
Super Moderator
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I contested the $21.xx price adjustment credit with the credit card company. Took a while for them to understand I wanted to reverse a credit. Then after some digging CS determined there was no way to do that. They could only reverse charges, not credits. He thanked me for a story to tell his grand kids some day.

·
Registered
'85 Sedan de Ville, '10 CTS-V
567 Posts
They probably have a way but wanted to reward you for your honesty...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Probably they didn't have that kind of experience before. I feel you are being rewarded for honesty but for sure, they'll fix the process to prevent that from happening again.

·
Super Moderator
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never got one before, but Costco sent a postal mail survey, undoubtedly random. I gave them 5 stars for the things the survey asked about and checked a box asking for a follow up call. With all 5s I didn't expect any call, but I just got it. I explained the situation and the woman said to wait until September when Costco starts some charity drive and donate the $20 (plus tax) to it. So, problem solved assuming the charity isn't something I'm opposed to.

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Premium silver-coast/shale-brownstone
742 Posts
Reminds me of the episode of Frasier where Martin is given extra money when withdrawing from his account via ATM. But his account is debited the correct amount. Daphne convinces him to give it back, so he tries to give the extra money back to do the right thing, and they think he just wants to deposit the extra money into his account. After going through numerous channels including the branch manager and the 1-800 number, he ends up with a letter from the bank crediting his account again with more money due to their 'original mistake.' So finally he takes a note to the teller instructing her to "follow everything to the letter and nobody is going to get hurt." Of course this sounds like a robbery to the security guard who pulls his gun on Martin and Daphne.

This leads to a meeting with the manager and a bank lawyer apologizing for pulling the gun 'on an old man simply trying to make a deposit into his account.' They offer him thousands of dollars as a settlement if he signs a document saying he won't sue. "Plus the amount of our original mistake will be credited to your account" says the manager. Martin sighs, signs the document, and the manager asks..." is there anything else we can help you with today?" to which Daphne replies "can I open an account?"

Max

·
Super Moderator
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reminds me of the episode of Frasier where Martin is given extra money when withdrawing from his account via ATM. But his account is debited the correct amount. Daphne convinces him to give it back, so he tries to give the extra money back to do the right thing, and they think he just wants to deposit the extra money into his account. After going through numerous channels including the branch manager and the 1-800 number, he ends up with a letter from the bank crediting his account again with more money due to their 'original mistake.' So finally he takes a note to the teller instructing her to "follow everything to the letter and nobody is going to get hurt." Of course this sounds like a robbery to the security guard who pulls his gun on Martin and Daphne.

This leads to a meeting with the manager and a bank lawyer apologizing for pulling the gun 'on an old man simply trying to make a deposit into his account.' They offer him thousands of dollars as a settlement if he signs a document saying he won't sue. "Plus the amount of our original mistake will be credited to your account" says the manager. Martin sighs, signs the document, and the manager asks..." is there anything else we can help you with today?" to which Daphne replies "can I open an account?"

Max
LoL

I've probably only watched a half dozen episodes of Frasier, but I have to track that one down on one of the networks its in syndication on (or maybe on Youtube?). Thanks.

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Premium silver-coast/shale-brownstone
742 Posts
I looked it up. Season 10 episode 18 "Roe to Perdition." In the same episode, Frasier and Niles try to track down a caviar supplier.

Max

·
Super Moderator
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked it up. Season 10 episode 18 "Roe to Perdition." In the same episode, Frasier and Niles try to track down a caviar supplier.

Max
Just so you know. If I get hooked on another show because of that, I won't be happy. LoL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts