Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello group, I am a proud new owner(long awaited owner) of a '89 Fleetwood Sedan with gold package. This is an absolutely gorgeous vehicle! My question is, I would like to clean up the gold ornamentation because some are a bit dull looking- what would be the best way to do this? And are these gold plated ornaments and script clear coated? I noticed on the rear hood key cover, there are some spots that appear to be either tarnished or worn off and there is no rough pitting or flaking. What product is recommended for this situation? Thank you very much for any and all help!
~Steve

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, Black
147 Posts
Id try a light Cleaner Wax or Swirl Remover on them. You might hae to rub a little but something like that should have just enough "scuff" (for lack of a better word) to take the tarnish off. After that you can just use a regular wax to keep them looking fresh.
Those are usually plated with very thin metal, so DONT try anything heavily abrasive like Brillo pads or steel wool, or it may take the finish right off.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
DrBassSme said:
Hello group, I am a proud new owner(long awaited owner) of a '89 Fleetwood Sedan with gold package. This is an absolutely gorgeous vehicle! My question is, I would like to clean up the gold ornamentation because some are a bit dull looking- what would be the best way to do this? And are these gold plated ornaments and script clear coated? I noticed on the rear hood key cover, there are some spots that appear to be either tarnished or worn off and there is no rough pitting or flaking. What product is recommended for this situation? Thank you very much for any and all help!
~Steve
Welcome aboard.

Yup, they are definately clearcoated when new because I have the original gold hood ornament in my safe and it was only used briefly. There are some areas on it where the CC can peel right off. The gold is quite thinly plated and I noticed some wear on it that shown silver from washing the car too much where it rubs it. I would definatley try to keep a good coat of wax on it as often as possible to prevent further deterioration. Nice car BTW, and be sure to post some pics of your car in the "official Cadillac pic thread."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts