Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
04 ESV Platinum, 96 Eldorado Coachbuilder LTD, 96 FWB
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the rear end interchangable with my 90 brougham?

I saw one in the junkyard. It was a 90's Roadmaster.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
Anything like the back axle should be interchangeable, but there never was such a thing as a Police Package Roadmaster--didn't exist. They did make tow package ones, like my dad's, and his has a 3.08 rear plus the optional locker/posi. Maybe that's the kind of package you mean?

·
Registered
94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)
3,730 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't a Capi? Interceptors had posi, right? I wish GM would have given my 90 Posi. It's got everything the tow package does except a tow hitch!

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
90Brougham350 said:
Are you sure it wasn't a Capi? Interceptors had posi, right? I wish GM would have given my 90 Posi. It's got everything the tow package does except a tow hitch!
I'm pretty certain that the posi was also still an option (code G80) on the 9C1 cars, but that definately beats the Caddies where they were never available. Wish they did, but oh well...just have to do one-sided burn outs all the time:thumbsup:

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Yes, G80's were not std on the 9C1.

They are also not available on the 94-96 Towing Package (RPO V4P). I don't know if any non V4P came factory w/posi. Anyone have a factory G80 1994-1996 FW/FWB?

I suspect it is the traction control that got it kicked off the build sheet.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
My Roadmaster had the towing package which included:
- 2.93:1 rear axle ratio
- limited slip differential
- heavy duty tranny cooler (it may have been an oil cooler too, I cant remember)
- "Gran Touring Suspension" (stiffer, heavy duty)
- trailer hitch setup
I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
I asume it was an RPO V92 towing (5000# towing capacity)?

Take a look at the SPID. It is probably FE2 suspension, look at the springs. On mine they are a number (6, 7, 8 and 9) and "TP". Wonder if you have the same springs or not.

How do you describe the ride compared to a regular non V92 RM or FW?

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
The hitch isn't factory, GM factory won't install them as you are to install the one that is right for you.

V08 Cooling, aka, slightly larger radiator and mechanical fan. Engine oil and tranny cooler, yes. The engine oil is the coolant type sandwiched in between the oil filter and engine block. Trans cooler is in front of the radiator.

G80 Limited Slip, possibly, they used to, so it would not surprise me. Being RM's didn't get Traction Control, very well could be.

"Trailing harness provisions", Look for trailer wiring harness in the left rear trunk under the padding reveal. Mine has a slick 5 wire harness, one for the car and one that you connect to your trailer.

Likely unique trans too. See if you find the code letters on it (Broadcast code?), look on the post I did on the details of the V4P. I had the V4P trans there, but I didn't look up specifically RM. I forgot about the V92, as they seem pretty rare, at least on here. Buickowners.com might see more of them.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 said:
My Roadmaster had the towing package which included:
- 2.93:1 rear axle ratio
- limited slip differential
- heavy duty tranny cooler (it may have been an oil cooler too, I cant remember)
- "Gran Touring Suspension" (stiffer, heavy duty)
- trailer hitch setup
I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
N0DIH said:
I asume it was an RPO V92 towing (5000# towing capacity)?

Take a look at the SPID. It is probably FE2 suspension, look at the springs. On mine they are a number (6, 7, 8 and 9) and "TP". Wonder if you have the same springs or not.

How do you describe the ride compared to a regular non V92 RM or FW?
I never knew that my dad's '92 Roadie had all the equipment until I finally got around to decoding its SPID yesterday. It's a V92 car with the G80 locker, 3.08 rear, and FE2 suspension. I always *thought* it felt firmer and more stable on the road than the Fleetwood, and now I know why.

It does have 193k miles vs. the Caddy's 103k, so it feels a bit worn, but definately not as overtly floaty as the FWB. I wouldn't exactly call it firm or even remotely crisp, but it is a bit more tied down and solid over bumps and undulations than the Caddy--and doesn't make me seasick in the backseat like the Caddy ALWAYS does.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
My FW is far from floaty. I watch other cars going over bumps and mine actually seems more in control. But I wouldn't call it stiff either. Lincoln owners complain how harsh it rides.... Sorry, the cloud option was not checked on mine....

It needs more bar for cornering, but I would leave spring rates alone for the most part (for the driving I do). When I am in hard corners it really leans a lot still, I will be ordering a Limo bar or 2nd gen T/A bar here shortly to help the front end. I am going to try to get the fat rear bar from a friend of mine soon whenever I can get down to St. Louis to pick it up (the 1.5" monster HA or HO Racing bar). He never had a front bar to match the power of the rear, so he took it off and never used it again. I just hope the limo or 2nd gen T/A bar is big enough!!

I was thinking that V92 cars were 3.08's, but being I haven't personally seen one, I haven't been able to confirm it.

Most used car dealers will advertise the car has towing package because it has a trailer hitch. I had a class 1 bumper hitch on my Lumina 12 years ago, far cry from a towing package!

What springs does your dad's RM have? Look for a number 6,7,8 or 9 and a 2 letter code after it, those are the springs. One for each corner of the car.

Can you copy the SPID and post it? I am just curious to see if I see anything else on it that might be towing package related.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
N0DIH said:
My FW is far from floaty. I watch other cars going over bumps and mine actually seems more in control. But I wouldn't call it stiff either. Lincoln owners complain how harsh it rides.... Sorry, the cloud option was not checked on mine....

It needs more bar for cornering, but I would leave spring rates alone for the most part (for the driving I do). When I am in hard corners it really leans a lot still, I will be ordering a Limo bar or 2nd gen T/A bar here shortly to help the front end. I am going to try to get the fat rear bar from a friend of mine soon whenever I can get down to St. Louis to pick it up (the 1.5" monster HA or HO Racing bar). He never had a front bar to match the power of the rear, so he took it off and never used it again. I just hope the limo or 2nd gen T/A bar is big enough!!

I was thinking that V92 cars were 3.08's, but being I haven't personally seen one, I haven't been able to confirm it.

Most used car dealers will advertise the car has towing package because it has a trailer hitch. I had a class 1 bumper hitch on my Lumina 12 years ago, far cry from a towing package!

What springs does your dad's RM have? Look for a number 6,7,8 or 9 and a 2 letter code after it, those are the springs. One for each corner of the car.

Can you copy the SPID and post it? I am just curious to see if I see anything else on it that might be towing package related.
Yep, I only got it partially decoded, to the point that I finally knew the back axle and suspension options. Here's a pic of it:

It's missing one or two minor things, but is still about as loaded as they ever came.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Shoot, I cant remember any of the codes at all for that car on the build sheet or trunk sticker. I remember it rode firmer than my Caddy does, yet it handled worse. It rode nothing like a Town Car. There was no dive in accelration or braking like there is in a Town Car. It was very controlled.

They call it the V92 Trailer Towing Package in the Buick Catalogs. It is capable of 5000 lbs.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Did the V92 come on Chevies also? I would expect so, but you don't hear too much from the plain jane Caprice camp, well, I don't at least....

I have seen a full size Caprice pulling a rather large trailer a few years back, it was a nice sight!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts