Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Eldorado Touring Coupe
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm helping my neighbor out with his '75 Eldo convertible. For me, it's a priviledge and honor to be able to work on the car.

The radiator needed to be replaced. Everything was going along smoothly :cloud9: until it was time to reattach the tranny coolant lines. I can't get them to seal. Doesn't matter how much I crank them down. And there is less thread showing than when they were attached to the old radiator. :banghead:

Is teflon plumbers tape acceptable here? Will it hold up to the tranny pump pressure? Or is there something else I should be doing? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance. :bows:

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
Sounds like the replacement radiator does not have the correct tranny plumbing fittings. Do you have the original radiator to make a comparison??

I would not trust tape as a permanent fix at those pressures/temperatures.

·
Registered
92 Eldorado Touring Coupe
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still have the original. I did a check before I put the new one in. Learned the hard way a while ago. But I didn't clean up the flare or threads before I reattached. Cross threading isn't evident as I could start the fittings by hand and turn them in about 4 threads before I had to start using the wrench.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,092 Posts
I would not think a little teflon tape would hurt anything.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,985 Posts
Teflon tape extrudes into the inside of the fitting and contaminates whatever is in the system. It is absolutely prohibited in aircraft fuel systems. When found in filters it looks like hair. It can easily get caught in ball check and servo valves. Definitely bad news.

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
Teflon tape extrudes into the inside of the fitting and contaminates whatever is in the system. It is absolutely prohibited in aircraft fuel systems. When found in filters it looks like hair. It can easily get caught in ball check and servo valves. Definitely bad news.
Also I learned from working with propane and natural gas,that it will break down.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,430 Posts
Sort of along the same lines for oil systems.......I replaced the oil pump and filter in my heat pump emergency heat backup oil furnace this spring. The instructions for piping up the oil pump specifically state "........do not use Teflon plumber's tape on any oil line fittings, supply or return. Pump warranty is void if Teflon tape is used."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts