Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Deville 10 CTS-V Sedan M6 10 SRX Turbo Premium
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last Saturday I made a stop over to the local Advance Auto Parts and picked me up some NGK plugs. I have been putting off changing these for a while, my goal was to have the plugs changed before I had my car tuned. That didn't work out. My car has about 49K miles on it. All and all this was a pretty easy job once some items are removed / removed from the vehicle.

I have to say, I quite was shocked at how worn out the factory plugs were with such low miles. I was under the impression they should get close to 100K miles. All of my plugs were between .030 and .035 which I thought was supposed to be @ .040.

I must say anyone thinking about doing this, do it. My car has never ran better! Seems like it has picked up power throughout the entire RPM range all the way up to the redline.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
So last Saturday I made a stop over to the local Advance Auto Parts and picked me up some NGK plugs. I have been putting off changing these for a while, my goal was to have the plugs changed before I had my car tuned. That didn't work out. My car has about 49K miles on it. All and all this was a pretty easy job once some items are removed / removed from the vehicle.

I have to say, I quite was shocked at how worn out the factory plugs were with such low miles. I was under the impression they should get close to 100K miles. All of my plugs were between .030 and .035 which I thought was supposed to be @ .040.

I must say anyone thinking about doing this, do it. My car has never ran better! Seems like it has picked up power throughout the entire RPM range all the way up to the redline.
Interesting. The gap (generally) increases with wear.

·
Registered
Silver '05 V
1,238 Posts
Any possibility that poor initial gap caused the accelerated wear?

But interesting all around, thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Any possibility that poor initial gap caused the accelerated wear?

But interesting all around, thanks for the info.
The narrow gap would cause a weaker spark delivered slightly early. The latter is rarely material.

·
Registered
LS6 CTS-V
550 Posts

when you got the plugs - did you just ask for the CTS-V plugs by NGK? i need to know cause we got some dandies working at our local Advance...

·
Registered
05 CTS-V raven black
1,131 Posts

·
Registered
78 Deville 10 CTS-V Sedan M6 10 SRX Turbo Premium
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when you got the plugs - did you just ask for the CTS-V plugs by NGK? i need to know cause we got some dandies working at our local Advance...
I went in and told them I wanted NGK TR55 part # 3951 or it you want iridium 7164.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V raven black
1,131 Posts

·
Registered
05 CTS-V raven black
1,131 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Just get Bosche Fusions and call it a day. I change them every 15,000 due to heavy loads. and excessive heat...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts