Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any input on either the GTE Stage 1 chip or the Power Tune Performance chip? (both are comparable in price ~ $100; and allege to produce mild/safe gains).

I just bought a (very) low miles, 2017 CTS 2.0T and am looking to only add intake (ZZP silicon intake tube & K&N drop in filter) & down pipe (ZZP), plus a plug & play chip/tuner. My car is a daily driver; it needs to be dependable; and I don’t want anything to cause damage to the engine, turbo or void the extended warranty.

Thoughts?? Btw, this is my first post! :)

·
Registered
2016 AWD 2.0T LUXE, 2016 C7 TBDE vert, 2012 911S Cab., 2003 Avey Z66
727 Posts
I don't think that you are going to find much related to the CTS. Try looking at the ATS forums and see what they are doing to their 2.0T's.......try to find a performance exhaust for a 3rd gen CTS.....nope.

·
Registered
2016 ATS4 2.0T and a bunch of other stuff....
850 Posts
No expert here, but I don't think there's any "plug and play" worth getting.
Everything you want to do could void your warranty depending on circumstances.

·
Registered
none yet
10 Posts
I reached out to 5 star tuning today and will reach out to SCT next week. I think Diablo makes something but un sure of the #s at this time.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS-4 Performance
126 Posts
If it is not a turbo car there is little to be gained on modern NA engines. They are pretty well tweaked from the factory. Put a K&N air filter in the stock airbox and you are set.

·
Registered
none yet
10 Posts
Yeah that's what I was told about my 2004 Mustang Mach-1. Factory rated at 315hp at the motor. I was told "your only going to get 12 to 15hp without going into the motor or charging it". Well they were wrong. I made 352hp and never put on my last mod. This took 4 years of mods and test and tuning on and off the dyno.

Now I'm not saying I'm gonna pu 40 or 50 hp on the CTS. But it will be fun to try 30 hp. I just have never worked with cylinder de-activation before.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS-4 Performance
126 Posts
Yeah that's what I was told about my 2004 Mustang Mach-1. Factory rated at 315hp at the motor. I was told "your only going to get 12 to 15hp without going into the motor or charging it". Well they were wrong. I made 352hp and never put on my last mod. This took 4 years of mods and test and tuning on and off the dyno.

Now I'm not saying I'm gonna pu 40 or 50 hp on the CTS. But it will be fun to try 30 hp. I just have never worked with cylinder de-activation before.
Well, yeah, that was 2004.

Point is that modern engine management systems are 1000% more sophisticated compared to older systems, that is all. Everything is pushed to the limit for both fuel economy and power, since if you reduce the amount of drag of everything else, the fuel economy increases, as does the available power. No sense leaving anything on the table.

Now, if it was a turbo, that is different. They leave a LOT on the table for durability reasons. If they would have put forged pistons and rods in the turbo motors everyone would be running around with 400+ whp. But, they screwed everyone and neither are forged, so you have to be able to push it without breaking it.

Just saying that if even a solid 30hp was available, you would see a tune available for it. All the tuners have all spent time on all the variants and have tweaked them to the limit already.

Sure, can a individual motor be hand-tuned to get specific gains, sure. Are there "factory freak" motors out there were they can produce extra HP because everything is "just right", sure. But again, you have to do the tuning and you have to spend all the time on that specific car to get it tweaked like that.

I mean, my setup has been holding up, but how many people could have done what I did and already had blown their motors up? A lot.

Some of us get lucky, some don't. All comes down to how much time/effort you want to put into your car.

There is HP Tuners available to tune your setup I believe. If the engine/computer combination is supported, go buy it and start tweaking. Sky is the limit.

Oh, you can also turn off the cylinder de-activation as well if it is supported.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts