Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new a/c delco plugs, wires, and fuel filter from Frost Cadillac in Newton today. They have a very nice parts department - helpful & friendly! I can't believe how expensive the wires & plugs are for this car, but I guess that's just the nature of the beast.

My last question before I do my tune-up is this: what is the proper gap on the plugs for a '97 ETC? The box of plugs says "gap to vechicle specs," so I'm assuming they are not already pre-gapped.

Last question - is changing the fuel filter a major pain? Of the entire tuneup, the FF is the part that's giving me the most anxiety. I have the new filter, and it looks pretty plug & play... but I'm having my doubts after receiving a few "warnings" about the pressurized fuel system, and the possibility of the current FF being rusted on.

As always, thanks for the help.

Happy Holidays to everybody!

-Scott

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
The pressurized system is not too hard to work with. To depressurize it, pull the Fuel pump fuse or relay, and run the car untill it stalls. There will still be some residual pressure, but it is not that much. The fuel filters do not rust on that often, It takes a lot of neglect before something like that happens. If you can, get some tubing wrenches. They are basically 6-pt box ends with a notch cut out for the tubing. Use these if the filter is stuck on there to keep from rounding the fittings off.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's my plan then! Turns out I actually have the wrenches that you speak of... I have my father's old tool set, and I could never figure out what those wrenches were for! Glad to see that I'm well equipped to change the filter then! I'll be careful not to start a trashcan fire when I throw the old one out... I've heard some funny (yet disturbing) stories about what happens when you throw a fuel-soaked filter or rag into the trash, and someone uses it as an ashtry.

Other than the filter, the rest of the tuneup is looking routine. Just need to figure out the proper spark gap, and I'll be on my way!

Thanks for the help!

-Scott

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
You'll lose most of the gas in the filter when you pull it. You can either drain the rest into a clean container or your gas tank and reuse it or if you're ecologically insensitive just pour it onto cement or a spot ground where nothing you want is growing.
If you reuse the gas pour it out through the engine side of the filter (point of the arrow if its printed on the filter) so you don't get any dirt.

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
The gap should be on the info label in the engine compartment. I think it's on the underside of the hood.
They should be preset but...There are a variety of vehicles that may use that plug and not all the gaps may be the same so it's important to double check.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts