Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
04 cts 05dts
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gm fellow cadillac family members. Im in desperate need of your help. About a week ago on my way home my car starts trembling, shaking and lost power out of nowhere. Never experienced this problem before. The following day i got the codes pulled. Says im having misfires would need a general tune up.

ForumRunner_20150227_114459.png

ForumRunner_20150227_114459.png

Called my mechanic shop. told him what the problem was. He said he would check it out. So i got my car towed there.The next day i received a call from him saying my catalytic converter was clogged bad, and thats a 90% chance thats causing the misfires. Got the converter changed with a gm direct fit converter. He called again saying the car is now misfiring on three cylinders the same side the converter was changed and that i would now need a tune up. I gave him the ok to do it. Called the next day. Said he changed all spark plugs, three ignition coil packs on the cylinders that was misfiring Camshaft position sensor and some other part that had to be piggy backed along with it. He says Im still having misfires and dont know y suggest i replace the engine. So now im waiting on a price for an engine.which i know i probably cant afford at the moment. So ill be getting the car towed and getting a second opinion from somewhere else. Has anyone had this problem before or know what can still cause missfire after the work that has been done? Did he miss anything? Additional info. Cts v6 3.6 107,000 on the clock. Had fuel filter changed about two months ago. Only use shell and exxon gas. The day before i got it towed to the shop I Cleaned the throttle body. Car was on E put a bottle on techron fuel system cleaner and fresh gas. The same day i experienced the misfires i had my transmission fluid changed along with new filter and gasket. New brakes,rotors and clipers in the front. Pls any input would help. Thanx

·
Registered
2005 CTS/ 2008 DTS/ 2008 STS V8 N*/ 2011 CTS4 ALL W/D Pearl
688 Posts
The cam shaft code is what scares me.

That with misfires is usually a timing chain jump and could have damaged a valve.

I would not give up hope on the engine yet until you have taken it to a shop (CADILLAC) that knows this 3.6 VVT engine. A bad cam actuator has been known to cause misses on one side only in the past on this board. And replacement has saved the engine. Take it to someone that knows this engine and always keep the oil FULL.

·
Registered
2005 STS-4, 2003 CTS 3.2
194 Posts
That's the 1st thing I was gonna say - timing is off, half of a tooth on these cars(and most others) will make life a miserable hell

There's not many Pro Cadi mechanics

Sucky to hear

·
Registered
2005 STS-4, 2003 CTS 3.2
194 Posts
Does anyone kno how much a timing chain repair cost??

It's about 12 hours of labor

Plus parts - Last one I did, I charged 500 for the labor - The customer got the parts

But, I'm no licensed shop - Typical labor would be double. So, all in all - I'd say about 1,200-1,500 for the complete repair in a licensed shop

·
Registered
04 cts 05dts
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a call from the mechanic. He's still looking for an engine. Told me if i wanted him to dig deeper into my engine to find the exact promblem would cost about 1k to open it up.
So how would i know if its the timing chain or not? Is there anyway to test for this?

·
Registered
2005 STS-4, 2003 CTS 3.2
194 Posts
Is there anyway to test for this?
A compression & leak down check

It really sounds to me like your mechanic has no business tearing into your car - A Cadi is quite special & takes the right guy with enough experience to diagnose & perform the labor.

I really hope you are just not paying for all of this nonsense

Really sucks tho hear this man:(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts