Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1989 (sold) & 1998 Deville, 2004 Escalade, 2009 ESV platinum
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new member here. I have a 2004 escalade, awd, standard wheel base 6.0. I thought these were reliable?!?! I picked it up at 93k miles, last spetember, and it was in great shape. 7k trouble free miles. I roll over 100 and bam- almost everything goes. So far I have replaced: The entire radio, the slip yoke, the wiper motor, then service ride control came on, then a random misfire the same day, then the traction control threw a code, then the blinkers went out, then misfire came back again, then DBW throttle body failed, then sway bar ends cracked, then brake calipers siezed, then power mirror went out, then ANOTHER P0300 random misfire code, then the dashboard went out, then EVAP canister, then alternator, then heated seat, then cigarette power outlet, then idler pully, then water pump, then steering pump, and finally, a rear window. THIS HAS ALL BEEN SUDDEN AND IN THE LAST THREE THOUSAND MILES. I am at 103k, I baby this truck. I don't tow, I ALWAYS keep it under 2k rpm when accelerating, I chang SYNTHETIC HIGH MILEAGE OIL EVERY 2K MILES!!!!! please. Someone give me hope that this will end soon. All I hear is how thesee cars are reliable. What is wrong with mine. I knew the PO and they were very good to this car. Does it really get better? Or should I dump it? Only problem is I have $7k into it already... so if things keep going wrong I don't know if I should sell it and take a huge loss or hold onto it, because I keep HOPING that this repair will be the last. But I am wrong everytime. I hate this car now.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and I forgot... A brake line blew, AND A WHEEL BEARING WENT OUT, AND I HAVE A FUEL LEAK!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Wow
I doubt this is due to normal use I think it's been due to where it's sat so long

I don't think you will have these issues again if you replace what's needed

The misfires can be due to the injectors not the plugs(though they should be changed at 100k miles)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the reply cadillac man. I have viewed this forum for a while but never had an account... and I've always seen you helping every thread. Thanks so much. And you really think I should keep it? I keep telling myself that if I somehow get $4k to fix every complaint I have that it will be smooth sailing for a while.

But since It rolled 100k miles, It is actually IMPOSSIBLE to make it just 200 miles without a problem. I don't know what to do. I have an appt with dealer tomorrow since every indy shop has *tried* to scam me, made it worse, or couldn't fix it. Last resort. And I have changed every fluid from steering to transfer case, and replaced every bushing and spark plug wire on the dam thing. But it keeps treating me badly despite the care I give it. Thanks again cadillac man.

·
Registered
86 Bronco, 74 Ford LTD,1999 Deville, 1977 Coupe Deville
305 Posts
Well......At least the head gaskets have not blown on your 98 Deville.
Sorry, I know it's not funny.
You almost have to keep it a long time to reap any rewards from all of your hard work & money. I guess we've all had money pits of one sort or another. Just keep smiling.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Well mine hit 200,000 miles back of this and I have replaced
Water pump(never was done before)
Thermostat(same)
Fan clutch(also never done)

I now have just over 207,000 and it's running strong

I feel for you about having to drop this much cash into parts(which I know is NOT fun)
But once they are replaced it should run like a tank(mine has been)

----------

Oh and mine had the plugs replaced at 123.000 miles
Pcm was at 135.000
The starter failed within months of getting the truck(not a good first impression I know)

Since I have replaced those parts I feel it's will last me to 300,000 miles if I don't upgrade to a 2015 by then and put this one to towing duty

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No its OK to laugh at it haha. And thank god for the fact that the Deville head gasket didn't go. Have an appointment Monday with dealer at 7 am... diagnose my service ride control, throttle body issue, front end creaking, as well as misfire. Thanks again to all who responded and any more input is welcome!

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade
1,177 Posts
As long as the oil was changed frequently and the transmission runs smooth then I would keep it, other then then that it's totally up to you. I had my 05 for 4 years and 40,000 miles I had to change the water pump & thermostat , belts, idler pulley, belt tensioner, plugs, shocks, compressor, battery twice, brakes & rotors& oil& radiator flush (obv) ,master window switch, transmission service, back up sensors , wheel alignment & tires , dented running board, all 4 interior speakers and some miscellaneous small parts like a scratched fuse box cover , I'm sure there's something else I'm forgetting but for the most part she's treated me well

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the kind and fast responses. I got a call back from the dealer who I dropped off my car for diagnosis- they blamed the front end creak when turning on my frond differential. Which they claim has apparently leaked out all of its fluid; despite it *just* having been checked out on a lift 2 days prior. There are also NO symptoms, not even a noise. I wish I could report this dealer, as it is the second time they've tried this BS on me.

I am furious. Anyway, in addition to a new front diff, they claim I need to replace EVERY fuel injector, and all of the shocks and compressor and module. In addition, when I gave them the codes I pulled relating to the throttle body issue, they said it looks like it is doing what it should do, but I should replace it because .... and I quote.... "your vehicle is very high mileage" WTF?!. 100K is very high for an 04? Anyway, the said it is in the ballpark of 6-8 thousand dollars to fix. They even tried to SELL ME A NEW CAR in the same phone call, stating "since your car will be way too much to fix, why don't you trade up to our cts lease blah blah blah..." So in the end, I am both upset, angry, and out hundreds of dollars just for diagnosis- which consisted of a whole Lotta guessing and almost no diagnosis. I plan to keep her though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a trusted non Cadillac service guy who is both thorough and honest. Plus he charges a fair hourly rate. I would look for one of those find of service people and shy away from Cadillac. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
^what he said

I go to a local gmc/Buick dealer to get mine services and have yet to have a problem with them
I know the people by name and they know me
Due to this I have gotten discounts on parts and labor both for my families vehicles and mine

Lately my mom bought a 04 cts through them and the owner threw in a free oil change since I am a good customer with them
Heck they let me test drive a brand new Yukon Denali without anyone riding along(even told me i could have kept it overnight if I wanted to)

It pays it find a good dealer to go to so I would be finding someone else if that dealer is giving you that much hassle over the repairs

FYI the throttle body is not something you want to take a gamble on trust me

----------

Also your truck is low mileage compared to most
Mine has 210,000 miles now that's high mileage(yet the truck runs strong)

·
Registered
2003 Escalade ESV
9 Posts
Service ride control is probably front wheel speed sensors or sensor in steering column. Unless it causing a problem leave it be.

Mine has 210k. I've had to replace top end $1800, tranny $1500, front end $700, two tires $360, alternator $360, battery $99. So I can relate.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
***Update****
I have since found a shop near me that had a grand opening special, where if you bought the parts from them it is free labor.
I have all new tie rods, new bushings, 4 NEW calipers and 4 NEW rotors, all new ceramic brake pads, 8 NEW ac Delco fuel injectors, 2 new front axle seals, new idler arm and bracket, as well as new pitman arm, and even a synthetic high mileage oil change. The shop partnered with auto zone... so they get billed the labor. The total price I paid for all of that was just $2800, which I thought was fair, and the total including labor was $5660, which is about right for my area. They even changed my buddies head gasket for 200 bucks. They wouldn't do free labor on a job like that, especially since the gasket was like 35 bucks, so they only charged him 200 for labor and the rest was free!!! I was actually thinking of buying new crankshaft bearings for a few bucks and having them installed for a few hundred as well, along with every gasket haha. They don't care because they get paid. Anyway, after that work, plus my previous work on the car, it is about 60 percent new parts haha, and running and driving like it just rolled off the factory floor. I am getting new michelin tires next week, along with new 4 arnott shocks and a new aor shock compressor- the front ones, and the rear ones that aren't electric, yet still retain the leveling with the air pump. After all this, I cannot wait to feel this Truck drive like new again, and after a grand total of $11,000 in work alone (not. Counting what I paid), I expect this thing to take me to 200k miles, if not more. Thanks everyone for your help.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why does my car start *too* fast?

Hi everyone, I recently took my 04 6.0 escalade in for some major work, namely a steering system rebuild (new idler arm, new pitman arm, new tie rods), all new brakes/rotors/calipers, and most importantly, all 8 brand new ac Delco fuel injectors. I was hoping this would solve my misfire, as I had no vaccume leaks, and new plugs and wires... so after 2 hrs of diagnosis, cadillac dealer said it was fuel injectors, so I replaced them all. My only question is, why does my car start TOO FAST?
Before this, my car would take a consistent 5 cranks (you knkw, turns of the starter) before it started, like every other one I've seen. Now, however, I barely flick the key. And I do mean barely, as in it doesn't even sound like the starter made one single full rotation. Normally I would be glad, however it isn't consistent.

If the truck has been running and you shut it off, when you go to restart it within a few mins, it cranks over 5 times like it used to. However, if you leave the truck for 30 mins or more, it fires up on the aforementioned one crank. So basically, the longer it sits, the faster it turns on. Now, I just picked up the car today, and the longest it has been off for has been one hour, where as I said, it takes one crank to start up after sitting for that hour. Which makes me wonder, how will it react to sitting overnight? I will obviously find out tomorrow morning when I go to start it, but my question is, why does my car start faster the longer it has been sitting, after getting new fuel injectors?

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,120 Posts
Sounds like the starter is spinning fine but could be ignition or fuel delivery changing with temperature.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts