Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Cadillac Seville 4.1
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1985 Cadillac Seville 4.1 has been my daily driver for almost 3 years no major problems till now! It will not shift out of first it goes in gear easy takes off good just wont shift? I ran trouble code test and the codes I get are 19, 27, 39, 52. When the test first starts what looks like -1.8.8 shows on the screen then the codes start I cant find what it means or what the codes actually mean plese any advice,ideas,suggestions, pointers, tips, are all appreciated thanks

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,867 Posts
I have a 1985 Cadillac Seville 4.1 has been my daily driver for almost 3 years no major problems till now! It will not shift out of first it goes in gear easy takes off good just wont shift? I ran trouble code test and the codes I get are 19, 27, 39, 52. When the test first starts what looks like -1.8.8 shows on the screen then the codes start I cant find what it means or what the codes actually mean plese any advice,ideas,suggestions, pointers, tips, are all appreciated thanks
=====================
19. Crankshaft sensor – Sensor/circuit/timing error
27. QDM A ( Quad-driver module ) – 2nd gear circuit
39. Clutch input ( Clutch sensor ) – Circuit fault
52. Engine oil temperature circuit – Low temperature indicated / circuit error

interesting that ALL of these codes are pointing to various CIRCUIT issues -
I would look around for a faulty ground - or plug - or chewed wiring harness -

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS-4 1SG V8 PREM PERF V8
11 Posts
Hey bud you can email me directly and I can send diagnostics and flow/trouble charts over via text or email
But i have all the info you should need .. these cars have a scanner built right in
Jut leave me your contact info
EBD9C3EE-4095-4BBE-8BE0-653E8A96062E.png

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
=====================

I was thinking that also I caught my oldest son 5 y/0 trying to pull fuses under the steering wheel but think I got there before he could but not sure about where everything is supposed to be either

Hey bud you can email me directly and I can send diagnostics and flow/trouble charts over via text or email
But i have all the info you should need .. these cars have a scanner built right in
View attachment 584528 View attachment 584528
My email is [email protected] and text is 17316165069 thanks

I was thinking that also I caught my oldest son 5 y/0 trying to pull fuses under the steering wheel but think I got there before he could but not sure about where everything is supposed to be either
Could it be a relay EMC

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
=====================

Any ideas on how to fix any of the codes or why my transmission will not shift out of first it goes In reverse and drive shifts easy thanks

Email is [email protected] and text is 17316165069

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,900 Posts
Foster2, Welcome to CF!!!

I strongly recommend that you don't post personal contact info in CF. It's a HUGE (279,000) members) worldwide site and, of that member number, 2700 are logged in as well as over 4,000 "guests". Of those numbers 15% to 20% are spammers and scammers just waiting for a perfect target like you.

Good idea to edit out your personal contact info. Yesterday.

Please become familiar with our in-house message system - Conversations. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I strongly recommend that you don't post personal contact info in CF. It's a HUGE (279,000) members) worldwide site and, of that member number 2700 are logged in as well as over 4,000 "guests" Of those numbers 15% to 20% are spammers and scammers just waiting for a perfect target like you.

Please become familiar with our in-house message system - Conversations. Thanks.
It was only a work email and a burner phone # if u cant help me with my question y r you replying????

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok when I tested again third time around it only shows 27 then -1.8.8 and stays on .7.0??? I appreciate the help this is our only vehicle at the moment

He is replying due to his years of experience here and he is trying to help you. Don't be a smart ass.
I am not I dont have time to waste playing

I strongly recommend that you don't post personal contact info in CF. It's a HUGE (279,000) members) worldwide site and, of that member number 2700 are logged in as well as over 4,000 "guests" Of those numbers 15% to 20% are spammers and scammers just waiting for a perfect target like you.

What a welcome

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
981 Posts
Sounds like the 2nd gear solonoid in the tranny has gone bad or the wiring to it has failed. The pcm monitors switches via the qdm.

When pulling codes, the diagnostics will cycle thru the codes and then show 7.0 indicating end of cycle with no more codes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like the 2nd gear solonoid in the tranny has gone bad or the wiring to it has failed. The pcm monitors switches via the qdm.

When pulling codes, the diagnostics will cycle thru the codes and then show 7.0 indicating end of cycle with no more codes.
Thanks so much is there any way to test for it?

·
Registered
1985 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible, Sable Black, HT4100
1,084 Posts
Hi, two of the forum members who have responded above are volunteer moderators of the forum. Since they're the administrators they will tell you things about the forum even if it's not a fix for your problem, especially if you're new. One of the best practices of the forum is don't post your personal contact info. That's why they told you about that; to protect you from scammers and spammers. It also helps keep the forum safe for others because people don't want the forum to become known as a good place to find people's contact information for scamming. And they're the most knowledgable and helpful guys on here, so arguing with the guys who run this forum won't help you.

This online trouble code chart matches my paper copy of the official 85 Factory Service Manual for Brougham, Eldorado and Seville: http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0900c152/80/1c/85/85/large/0900c152801c8585.gif

I've had #39 "TCC Engagement Problem" ... in my case it was a dead TCC solenoid that needed replacement. I couldn't shift out of overdrive and the car would stall when slowing from highway speed. Your Seville has the same trans as my Eldorado, a THM 325-4L. I'm guessing, but if your TC is somehow locked up in first gear/all the time, that might be your problem. I'm not even sure that's possible... But something's evidently wrong with your TCC solenoid, and they can fail quick. I haven't replaced it personally, but my understanding is that it's easily accessible if you drain the trans and remove the pan. You'd need a new gasket, filter, and new ATF (Dexron VI, try Wal-Mart). Pan is fragile, torque for pan bolts is just 7-10 ft lbs.

Read this thread for general info and about which brand to buy (you'd want a Teckpak/Fitzall Model K84856U, not the Rostra/NAPA: Replacing the TCC solenoid on an 85 Eldo THM 325-4L

This is the right TCC solenoid on ebay for $10: Teckpak K84856U Transmission Solenoid (Torque Converter Clutch - TCC) 3 Wire | eBay

If your wiring is bad, then replacing the TCC solenoid won't help.

#52 happens anytime you disconnect the battery. As you'll see the other two relate to the fuel pump and throttle switch circuits.

If you're worried about fuses, easiest way to check them is with a multimeter's continuity setting. If this is your daily driver, you want the official 1985 Factory Service Manual for Brougham, Eldorado and Seville. It's basically essential. You can normally find a used paper copy on eBay for about $20 or you can subscribe to www.alldatadiy.com for like $30/year.

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
981 Posts
Thanks so much is there any way to test for it?
You'll need to find the pinour for the car for the plugs at the tranny, main harness connector and ecu.

I believe the solenoid resistance is 22ohm. The valve body uses the same solenoid for 1-2, 3-4 and TCC. You can compare the 3 solenoids using a meter where the harness plugs into the tranny. If good, then go back to the main harness and the ecu pigtail to measure again. Any change at these 2 places indicates a wire problem.

The ecu controls the solenoids by switching the ground leg. You'll need to check the common grounds at the ecu too verify they are good B cHecKing continuity between the pigtail and a known good ground.

·
Registered
2000 SLS, 2004 SLS
18 Posts
I rebuild 200-4R transmissions for Buick Grand Nationals. I'm not that familiar with the 325-4l but from my experience when the transmission will not come out of first gear it may be caused by several issues. 1) stuck 1-2 shift valve in the valve body. (the 325-4l transmissions are hydraulic controlled. They don't have shift solenoids) 2) low pump pressure 3) Stuck T.V. valve or miss adjusted T.V. cable 4) missing governor spring. In the 200-4R it's common for them to throw the spring under one of the weights causing a no 1-2 shift or a shift at a very high rpm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How would I diagnose those symptoms what would I need to test to find out if one of them is the problem? Thanks so much

1 - 15 of 15 Posts