Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm baffled. My friend pulled out my stock, Bose system while Onstar was working. They tried to plug the stock system back in a few hours later (for whatever reason) and Onstar wouldn't work. They hooked up my aftermarket stereo (Kenwood) and Onstar doesn't work.

I called the dealership. The first one said it's not possible to go to an aftermarket stereo in this vehicle without losing Onstar. The second agreed and added that anytime you un hook a stock stereo from this car, it deletes the vin # of your vehicle from Onstar. In other words, the stereo can no longer be used again. Keep in mind, Onstar did not work after plugging back into the stock stereo. I find this kind of hard to believe. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm desperate for answers! Thanks!

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,803 Posts
They both don't know what they are talking about.

It is possible to keep OnStar after installing an aftermarket. Therefore, the VIN does not get erased from OnStar. Well actually OnStar was never VINed in the first place. As a matter of fact, you don't even need a radio in there. Because OnStar goes directly to the factory amp. All you need are the buttons on the mirror.

But Just remove your rear seat and push the carpet forward on both sides. There you'll find two fuse boxes, one on the driver side and other on the passenger side. I forget which one it's in, but it's in one of those.

KOT

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Check the connections on the OnStar module itself. It's located in the trunk on the passenger side behind the carpet.

KOT

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, having my friend check that as we speak :) Thanks, so much for your help! I hope this gets it!

----------

OMG, you are a HERO! It's fixed! You don't know what I've been through trying to fix this problem! Now I'm going to call the dealerships and fuss!

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
So there was a loose connection on the OnStar module itself?

Just to make sure, what is your set up now? Factory or aftermarket radio?

KOT

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Satellite, as in satellite radio? Yeah, that's gonna require the factory radio for that to work. Because the controls are done through the factory radio for the XM radio.

KOT

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, we were told it only works with the factory radio :) No biggie. I don't use it much anyway. Thanks, so very much for ALL your help! You are da bomb!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts