Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Sedan Deville
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend drove to my job to pick me up today. He got out of the car with the keys still in the ignition, he is not sure if he got out before or after he turned the hazard lights on, but he knows that the radio was on. We got into the car to leave, and when he tried to start it a security light flashed on the dash, but it still didnt start. The light came on on the dash, but it would not turn over. We called my manager to see if we needed a jump, we tried to give it a jump, but once again, it still didn't start. He unhooked the battery for about five minutes and reconnnected it, and still no luck. Under the hood we also noticed there was a loose red wire, it looks like a security wire, but we are not for sure. We think that the security system may have lock us out, if so is there anyway we can disable it, woithout taking it in to be serviced or is this something we we have to have looked at. If someone would be so kind as to help us out, we would greatly appreciate it. Thank You.:helpless:

·
Registered
1972 Deville, 2006 DTS
54 Posts
also might wanna try placing key in ign turning to the on postion and let set for 15 min then try to start it. sometimes also you can reset alarm by using the key to open the door.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,585 Posts
One other thing to try, and I forget exactly what this does, resets modules or something) but pull both battery cables and touch them together.

·
Registered
1994 Sedan Deville
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You so much, Ranger and jjack79, We tried putting the key and and setting for fifteen minutes, still nothing. We are going to unhook the cables and see if that works, if not we will have it towed in where we bought it. I hope we find out what it is so, maybe we can prevent this from happening again. We are thinking about gettting another alarm installed and disabling the theft system. I guess we will know more, after we get it start. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
It sounds to me like a VATS problem. VATS is the little chip in your key that prevents theft. Do you have a spare key that you could try? The chip in the main key may have gone bad.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,585 Posts
The "chip" (resistor) almost never goes bad, but the very thin wire in the column does. If that is the problem, you can fix it or bypass it.

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,688 Posts
We are thinking about getting another alarm installed and disabling the theft system.
I would not put an aftermarket alarm on a caddy...it will just end up causing you more headaches. Ranger's right it's usually not the key that causes the Vats problem but I have seen an old worn key cause the problem (not making contact). Bypassing the Vats is not that hard to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts