Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone-

I just got back from the mechanic with quite a hefty estimate.

SO i have a few codes popping up on their scanner and want to crosscheck with you guys to see if any of these repairs make sense.

So here are the codes:
P0036 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2
P0523 Engine Oil Pressure Sensor Circuit High Voltage
P0522 Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit Low Voltage
P0521 Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/Performance

I plan on fixing these things for my 100k service and this what they are telling me I need:
-Sparkplugs $8.99 (x6)
-Coil Boot $16.99 (x6)
-Manifold Set $79.99
-Labor $300
-Fuel Induction $169.99
-EPR? $69.99

All for a total of $755.85

Also, I went in and I had no oil on my dipstick. I got it changed at 96k and Im a 99k. My computers say that I am at 73%, so they put 3 qts in today. Any ideas whats going on there?

TIA

·
Registered
2005 CTS/ 2008 DTS/ 2008 STS V8 N*/ 2011 CTS4 ALL W/D Pearl
688 Posts
You must check you're oil every week. Keep it topped up right at the top circle on the dip stick ALWAYS.

I would drive it for a few days with the oil topped up and see if the codes go away before you spend a dime. If you are getting no miss codes P0300 I would not change the coils.

You could do the plugs later yourself if they need changing, easy but time consuming because you have to lift the manifold.

Drive for a while and report back if you still have any codes showing.

·
Registered
2005 CTS
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom-

Do those other repairs look reasonable?

Any idea why I'd be burning 3 quarts of oil in less than 5k miles? Is that normal?

Im just a 17yo freaked out by high maintenance prices

Thank you so much

·
Registered
2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum
374 Posts
No they don't seem reasonable. You don't need coil boots, that's super high for plugs, and my guess is that's a fuel system cleaning, epr???., what a rip off. You do probably need an o2 sensor for that heater circuit and I would throw on an oil pressure sensor for the others. Remember the oil life monitor is not oil level, just the condition of the oil that's in there based on miles driven, temp, load etc.. It could say 90% and be empty.

·
Registered
2005 CTS
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes me feel a lot better Matt.

Im actually thinking about doing my Spark Plugs with a buddy of mine, have you ever done it? Is it easy?

I see them on amazon for like 4 bucks a pop, which would you say is the best to get?

Also, they are saying that I need manifold gaskets, is that a must?

Just trying to get my shopping list together.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 CTS/ 2008 DTS/ 2008 STS V8 N*/ 2011 CTS4 ALL W/D Pearl
688 Posts
Only put in OEM plugs #12565996 or #41-988.

The gasket is reusable if it is the metal kind, mine was but I put in a new one in any way and kept the old one for a spare it's only $15-$20.

There is a great thread on this forum on how to with great pics it might be under 2.8 plug change but is exactly the same engine just different displacement, everything part wise is exactly the same look for it.

·
Registered
CTS
256 Posts
Not sure for the 3.6L but I know on the 3.2L the plugs are fairly easy to change, just slightly harder than most cars I've seen and if I remember correctly the 3.6 ones are even easier. The oil pressure sensor codes are just for your low oil, add more oil, don't pay for a shop to do it and then see if you can see it leaking somewhere. Otherwise just keep a close eye on it and keep filling it. As for the O2 sensor that too is very easy to change, the part is like $70 but can easily be fixed yourself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts