Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I've just changed all the signal lamp bulbs and brake lamp bulbs to L.E.D.
Now I have a problem. When I turn on my left/right signal lamps, the lights flash just too fast. How am I supposed to fix the problem? Other than this, LEDs work well and they look pretty cool.

BTW, the signal lamps were behaving normal before replacing the bulbs with LEDs so I wouldn't think it's a bad/corroded socket problem.

Please Help!!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I think that this is related to the Seville light socket problem. Check for dark brown spots in the sockets. I'm going to move this to the Seville forums since this problem is common to these cars and someone there should have a better answer.

EDIT: Found the link relating to this problem: http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4469

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Your flasher unit is doing the job GM intended it to do. The lamps "flash too fast" because they are not drawing as much current as GM knows incandescent bulbs are rated to draw. The reduced current draw is used as a trigger that an incandescent bulb is probably burned out and the "rapid flash" is intended as a signal to the driver that something is amiss.

You have several choices.

One: Purchase 4 each 10 ohm, 10 watt wirewound resistors (Radio Shack) and wire one of them in parallel (to ground) with the turn-signal wire of each bulb socket. This "should" increase the current draw through the flasher unit to approximately the same value of the incandescent bulbs. If you choose this fix, be sure the resistor body is firmly contacting metal for the heat-sink affect.

Two: Put the incandescent bulbs back in the sockets.

Three: Locate an after-market supplier of a relay-type flasher unit that does not depend on total current draw. Good luck on this one.

One other consideration. I have found some LED bulbs that allow too much reverse voltage from the tail lamp circuit to be seen by the brake lamp circuitry. This can prevent cruise control operation under certain common situations (the cruise system thinks the brakes are being applied!).

Been there, done that.

Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
JimD