Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is my problem. I have gotten one hell of a deal on a g37x sedan. zero down and 480/month 39 months with 15k miles. This is just SUCH a good deal and the car drives VERY well. The only downside is that 1) I HATE that the rear seats do not fold down and 2) I find the interior only... "ehh".

So my alternatives are:

1)Go with the ex35 (can get an even better deal) but the outside is pretty ugly and interior is still "ehh". Lots more cool "toys" and cargo space is no problem.

2) Go with the cadi cts di awd. I love the interior and exterior BUT no good lease programs, there are MANY complaints of rattles (which I hate), GM service (which I heard is a nightmare), and the car is, at best 8k more then the g37x (although zero percent financing for 48 months does help).

So what do you guys think? I am stuck and need some good advice.

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI RWD
27 Posts
This is exactly the situation I faced last December. I was sold on the G37 sedan, and actually had one on order. Infiniti took so long to bring the 37's in (there was a big backlog of 35's in dealer inventory at the time) that my lease ran out on my old car and I had to make a move. I had originally blown off the CTS based on price, but found myself looking at it again given my situation with Infiniti. GM was offering some sweet deals last December; between red tag pricing, regional incentives, and a further 4k loyalty kicker from GMAC, I walked out with a 2WD CTS DI for $39.5 ... about 10k off sticker. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

Now, here's the part that may actually help you. After driving the CTS for almost 5 months, it just beats the crap out of the G sedan on every conceivable dimension. Its roomier, its got a world class interior, it handles like a BMW (I've had two), has cooled front seats (not available on the G when I ordered), a real back seat, and the panoramic roof is fabulous. It is a tick slower to 60 than the G37, but the 300hp DI motor is a sweetheart. I just got 28+mpg on the highway today on a 120 mile trip between St. Louis and Columbia MO. Lots of grunt for passing ... it is a very smooth and responsive engine. The remote start option is also extremely handy ... not an option on the G if I remember right.

I have had a couple of reasons to return to my dealer for adjustments, but they were little niggles and I'm a fussy buyer. Here's the the full disclosure: I had to replace the iPod cable; I had an interior trim compartment door that wouldn't close properly; the fit of my passenger front door needed adjustment (it slapped a little when I closed it); and I had the infamous "radio always on at start" problem which is so well documented on this forum (a simple software fix corrected this). My dealer was terrific ... no complaints ... and everything that needed to be adjusted was adjusted quickly and under warranty. I've had no other problems what-so-ever with the vehicle. I've studied the automotive industry as a market researcher for 25 years, and believe me, there is no such thing as a zero defect car. This one's been pretty darn good so far.

When I look at the G37 now, I am SOOOO glad it worked out the way it did for me. I believe I am in a much nicer car for not much more money. The styling of the CTS is much more dynamic and contemporary vs. the G. I couldn't be happier.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you are interested in any other specific comparisons between the two cars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is exactly the situation I faced last December. I was sold on the G37 sedan, and actually had one on order. Infiniti took so long to bring the 37's in (there was a big backlog of 35's in dealer inventory at the time) that my lease ran out on my old car and I had to make a move. I had originally blown off the CTS based on price, but found myself looking at it again given my situation with Infiniti. GM was offering some sweet deals last December; between red tag pricing, regional incentives, and a further 4k loyalty kicker from GMAC, I walked out with a 2WD CTS DI for $39.5 ... about 10k off sticker. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

Now, here's the part that may actually help you. After driving the CTS for almost 5 months, it just beats the crap out of the G sedan on every conceivable dimension. Its roomier, its got a world class interior, it handles like a BMW (I've had two), has cooled front seats (not available on the G when I ordered), a real back seat, and the panoramic roof is fabulous. It is a tick slower to 60 than the G37, but the 300hp DI motor is a sweetheart. I just got 28+mpg on the highway today on a 120 mile trip between St. Louis and Columbia MO. Lots of grunt for passing ... it is a very smooth and responsive engine. The remote start option is also extremely handy ... not an option on the G if I remember right.

I have had a couple of reasons to return to my dealer for adjustments, but they were little niggles and I'm a fussy buyer. Here's the the full disclosure: I had to replace the iPod cable; I had an interior trim compartment door that wouldn't close properly; the fit of my passenger front door needed adjustment (it slapped a little when I closed it); and I had the infamous "radio always on at start" problem which is so well documented on this forum (a simple software fix corrected this). My dealer was terrific ... no complaints ... and everything that needed to be adjusted was adjusted quickly and under warranty. I've had no other problems what-so-ever with the vehicle. I've studied the automotive industry as a market researcher for 25 years, and believe me, there is no such thing as a zero defect car. This one's been pretty darn good so far.

When I look at the G37 now, I am SOOOO glad it worked out the way it did for me. I believe I am in a much nicer car for not much more money. The styling of the CTS is much more dynamic and contemporary vs. the G. I couldn't be happier.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you are interested in any other specific comparisons between the two cars.
Wow, such an awesome reply. My only real issues with the cts is the heavy talks of rattles (even from motortrend), the small back window (limited visibility) with no backup camera and the difference in price. If they were both the same price I would grab the cts in a second but is the cts worth 7-8k more? I can get a the g37x for 37k (if I lease or discount finance) where the best price I think i can get on the cts di awd i want is gonna be 45 (maybe 44 if i'm lucky).

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI RWD
27 Posts
I'd try working through an internet manager at another dealer. GM's sales are off 50%, and if the dealer has inventory and knows you're serious, you can probably name your price. The dealer probably has cash in the trunk (dealer incentives, as opposed to consumer incentives) to help move a deal. I'd push hard ... they need the sales and will likely give up more than you think.

FYI, I financed mine through CapOne ... simple online application, then they mail you a "blank check" to write to the dealer. Smooth as silk ...

·
Registered
2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6
950 Posts
My story's similar to DDDaddio's - late last year, was weighing my options. My short list was A6, 528xi, G35x (sedan), and CTS-4 DI/FE2. On the price scale, the Infiniti was the clear winner but, similar to your experience, it struck me as having an "ehh" interior. And, frankly, I was less than smitten with the exterior styling and not impressed by the size and functionality of the interior.

At the end of the day, "ehh" is simply not consistent with a transaction in which I am parting with 40+ large and I went with the car I liked the most. And, yes, I paid more. And, yes, it doesn't accelerate as fast as the G.

I'm at month 4 and a little over 3k miles and don't regret it a bit. So far, no issues other than a vibration in the passenger door that the dealer will check out at my 1st oil change in the next month or so.

·
Registered
Former 2009 CTS owner, back to BMW
187 Posts
My 2 cents - if you are a staunch import owner (past cars) use extreme caution with the CTS. It is a "good" car beautiful too but the quality is so-so. The rattles and some drive line issues that "SOME" of us are having are enough to drive a person mad - especially if you are use to only Asian or European imports. Do a long long test drive as each CTS is very different.

·
Registered
Cadillac
248 Posts
My 2 cents - if you are a staunch import owner (past cars) use extreme caution with the CTS. It is a "good" car beautiful too but the quality is so-so. The rattles and some drive line issues that "SOME" of us are having are enough to drive a person mad - especially if you are use to only Asian or European imports. Do a long long test drive as each CTS is very different.
Same here! CTS is a beautiful car inside out.
However, if you are sensitive(feel your car) and use to drive only Asian or European Lexury imports you possibly think the quality is rant2:

So far, 15 months, 16000 miles, I am happy.

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI RWD
40 Posts

I have to agree with DDDaddio (who appears to be a fellow St. Louisan), the CTS DI is a great ride, both style and fun to drive....especially good on the inside if you get the Premium package or similar options. My suggestion, because I am one that has had significant steering wheel shimmy problems related to the tires/suspension, is to drive the vehicle of choice for a couple days and more than once on a smooth highway at 60-70 to make sure you don't have one of the problems noted on this post (steering wheel shimmy, drivetrain vibration are the big issues). Most CTS owners are perfectly happy.....there's just a small percentage (I'm one of them) that experience problems. The dealers are hurting for sales.....an extended test drive overnight or a weekend would not be out of the question.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
91 Posts
As the owner of a 2008 CTS-4/DI/FE2 and a 2008 G35x, I think I can make a fair assessment.

In my opinion, I don't think that the cars are in the same league with each other...and I really don't think they are intended to be. The CTS goes up against the BMW 5 series and the Infiniti M series. The G35x is significantly more responsive than the CTS and the build quality of the G35x trounces the build quality of the CTS. Dealer service for both cars has always been exceptional. Now...if someone asked me to choose between the two, I'd go with the CTS, primarily beacuse of the feature content of the car. My CTS is FULLY loaded, as is the G35x. The CTS has many more creature comforts than the G35x and the CTS interior, in my opinion, is better than the interior of the G35x. My wife on the other hand, completely disagrees with me. She prefers the "crisper" feeling of the G35x and she thinks the CTS feels "too big". I think the CTS feels much heavier (because it is!) than the G35x and the heaviness shows itself in what I believe is less than stellar handling. I also have an 07 Z06 so I'm somewhat baised when it comes to a car's handling characteristics.

The CTS was considerably more expensive than the G35x. In my case the difference was in the vicinity of $10k. It all comes down to what car make you fell better. Both are exceptional vehicles and both are worth a second look! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
2008 CTS
13 Posts
I think the G37 is a great car but the CTS stands out so much more. I don't think you'd be disappointed with the CTS.

·
Registered
CTS 08
302 Posts
I think the G37 is a great car but the CTS stands out so much more. I don't think you'd be disappointed with the CTS.
If he gets one like many of the members of this forum have (i.e. rattles, creaks, sunroof issues, steering wheel vibration, fritzy ambient lighting, driveline drone, warped rotors, clunking noises, etc.) then he could be quite disappointed indeed.

I know of at least two publications (Motor Trend and Edmunds) who have made remarks about the poor interior quality of the CTS with respect to rattles and creaks and failing components. Even the guy with the most positive review had to have two interior issues dealt with (trim compartment and F/P door).

You get what you pay for, except in the case of the CTS. You'll pay BMW or Audi prices, but you won't get their quality. And you'll quite often be treated like a schmuck when you go to your local CHEVROLET/cadillac dealer.

I'm in a unique situation in that I have two roommates and we all bought our cars when we returned from deployment. I bought the CTS. My roommates bought a BMW 328xi and an Infiniti G37S, respectively. You can guess whose car is the butt of the quality jokes...

If I had to do it again, I'd go with the Infiniti. More car for the money.

·
Registered
04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon
1,803 Posts
Go with the G

1. this forum has enough chronic complainers
2. support Japans economy
3. put a family member/neighbor/me out of work
4. too many people will bother you wanting to talk about your awesome Caddy

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD Premium
585 Posts
I think everyone has brought up some great points. No car can be everything to everybody. I drove the CTS, G37, and TL back to back, three times each, before going with the Caddy. The G37 was light, sure footed but as many mentioned, I couldn't get over the interior. The TL was equally sure footed and I noticed a slightly smooth ride to it, but hated the artificial steering. When I drove the Caddy, I loved the steering and basic handling the most. The FE2 dampening is slightly off, but still a nice mix of stiffness and bump absorb. I did notice that there were slight vibration issues in the one I bought around 45 MPH. But I mean they are slight and they go away when driven for a while, which lead me to believe they were a characteristic of the tires. Anyway, the Caddy ultimately got me with the styling, power, overall handling, and the overall interior with creature comforts. Sure I might get some creaks but someone who gets a TL is going to get that steering and also that annoying exhaust note . . . :)

·
Registered
CTS 08
302 Posts
C'mon GMJim, enough with the melodrama. People with problems aren't allowed to bring them up in a discussion because it makes you feel bad? As for your charge about supporting Japan, all I can tell you is that the US automakers' problems aren't caused by consumers buying imports (most of which are made here now). The buying of imports is a symptom, not the illness.

To the OP: buy what you like, and be thankful that people on this forum will give you honest feedback about the highs AND lows of the CTS.

·
Registered
04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon
1,803 Posts
22, Thanks for choosing GM. I wish I could say you won't be disappointed. I just hope your not.
You seem to understand going in, that there isn't a perfect car. I hope your troubles are minimum.

·
Registered
Cadillac
133 Posts
I've had mine since July '08 and have over 9K miles on it. Its a fully loaded DI with the FE3 performance package. I've taken it on two 500 + mile road trips to Vegas once last summer and another last month. It performed outstanding in both extreme weather conditions and can honestly say I was not fatigued from either trip. I've never had to take it for any warranty work as of yet. I've been trying to make a list of items to be taken care of but all I have is the front facia is slightly out of line. This is so minor no one even notices it so I'm not troubled. I have a free oil change coming so I may bring it in and have them take care of it then. I haven't had any of the problems some on this forum have complained, no rattles, creaks, drones, vibrations, paint problems etc... The car has been a joy. I'm sure if you visit an Infinity, BMW, Mercedes and Audi forums you will see similar posts. I've found these type of forums bring out more complaints then anything else so be careful in what you read.

·
Registered
CTS 08
302 Posts
I agree, the forums do bring out complaints. Why? Because people come here to solve problems and rectify issues and share ideas. You can only do so much back-patting if your car is flawless. If anything, we should be HAPPY that owners bring their problems here and discuss them. It promotes full disclosure about our cars, and helps build a solid community of people who can help each other with an ever-expanding base of knowledge that comes from discussing and troubleshooting our car's collective issues.

I'm sorry if folks feel that discussing the issues of the CTS design with others is a personal. I haven't yet met one owner on here who used his problems as a conduit to attack GM workers or American cars in general. What I have seen is a lot of people who spent big money, are facing problems, and want a sympathetic and knowledgable ear to help them fix the car they love.

·
Registered
Cadillac
53 Posts
I can tell you from past experiences about both a bmw 3 series and a g35 my father had. The bmw 3 series (coupe) handles better than this car b/c its smaller. This engine is siiiiick...I absolutely love the power. I hated my dads g35, yeah it was fast, but the interior build quality wasn't 100% and my dad had to bring it back so many times for the XM radio unit not working. the 3 series had issues of its own, one being an engine replacement after what i think was, the dealer goofed in replacing belts under normal service, and caused a kink in a o-ring in the coolant line which caused the car to overheat and ended up warping the aluminum head...then since that messed up i had o2 sensor issues for a while...also before that i would bring it in all the time for rattles in the door panels from the speakers (which was never fully fixed)...i loved the car, loved the way it drived, and other than the engine issue which was a fluke, didnt have any big problem...then it was stolen, and recoveredd, and fixed, then sold b/c i couldn't deal with knowing it was stolen...this car does have some small issuses of its own...my breaks squeal (which the dealers will fix now that i found the proper TSB for), and i have a thumping coming from rear deck lid over some bumps (its not terrible and most ppl in my car don't notice, but i'm a nut and will get fixed with another TSB put out under warranty)... bottom line, no car is perfect, and this one drives awesomely...i dont have vibration issue (i think, b/c i dont feel it, but i know some ppl do), but who drives at 45-55 mph anyway in this car? i dont! i really enjoy it and its so gorgeous inside and out, and the nav system is awesome! anyway, it's really up to how you feel about the car...if it plays on your emotions when you look and drive it, it may be worth the extra $$..plus if you buy it, you can get a great deal and would be helping GM....

·
Registered
2008 CTS
13 Posts
(knock on wood) my CTS has been great so far. Only thing I'm not happy with is the tranny as it doesn't shift quite as smoothly as I would have hoped for. I find it hunts a lot and is NEVER in the right gear, even in Sport mode. But the looks alone make up for that. I haven't had any other issues, and hope I never do.
As for interior build, I agree that it isn't up to par; on the passenger side tranny tunnel, the "carbon fibre" trim piece is no where close to latching into the "aluminum" trim piece above it, have about a 3-4mm gap that is very noticeable. But that alone hasn't altered my impression of the CTS, still very happy with it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts