Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
CTS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way back from work I noticed the car developed like a tapping or ticking sound coming from the engine, the car only has 116k miles runs fine,But Im worried it could serious! its amlost like comming from the front somewhere. can anyone please help me out with what this could be. Thanks guys! Here is a YOUTUBE video of the noise http://youtu.be/YOOT8ED9EZI

-Ryan

·
Registered
2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2
526 Posts
Sounds like lifter noise. Did you check the oil level? Thankfully you have the 3.2 so you don't have to worry about timing chains.

·
Registered
CTS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did add some bottle of lucas engine oil thinking it would help quite the noise but it didn't help, I know the oil was changed out less then a year ago in July when I bought the car so I felt good about it. Someone told me to use a thicker oil like 10w30, I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
CTS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
last it was about 70% on the car DIC. I bought the car 3 months ago with 114k miles and about 92% on the oil life meter, and the guy said he did an oil change recent. Since then i'v put around 2000 miles on it and oil life meter was at 70%

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thats the oil LIFE monitor. Not OIL LEVEL. You still have to get out and check the oil level by looking at the dip stick under the hood. I can 100% tell you, you ran the car way too low on oil. You might be able to fix this by draining the oil and changing it and the filter numerous times to get any possible metal fragments out but your car will never be the same until you do a full rebuild.

·
Registered
CTS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats the oil LIFE monitor. Not OIL LEVEL. You still have to get out and check the oil level by looking at the dip stick under the hood. I can 100% tell you, you ran the car way too low on oil. You might be able to fix this by draining the oil and changing it and the filter numerous times to get any possible metal fragments out but your car will never be the same until you do a full rebuild.
Thanks for the reply. Here's the thing though, when I pulled out the dipstick last night the car's oil was nice and clear and look pretty much full, only thing I added was a bottle of luscas and that doesnt add much to the oil level.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Here's the thing though, when I pulled out the dipstick last night the car's oil was nice and clear and look pretty much full, only thing I added was a bottle of luscas and that doesnt add much to the oil level.
How much is pretty much full? Were all 3 holes filled with oil or no? When you mentioned oil life, I was worried you were using that as a oil level monitor which it does not do.

I would not use oil stabilizer. Thicker oil is a big no no. Others on this forum will say it's okay but in reality it's not. You are just making it more difficult for the oil to work it's way into all the oil journals and path ways.

At first I thought it might of been the evap solenoid because it can make a ticking noise but it honestly sounds way too loud in that video to be that. Hopefully more knowledgeable 3.2 owners can chime in here.

·
Registered
CTS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How much is pretty much full? Were all 3 holes filled with oil or no? When you mentioned oil life, I was worried you were using that as a oil level monitor which it does not do.

I would not use oil stabilizer. Thicker oil is a big no no. Others on this forum will say it's okay but in reality it's not. You are just making it more difficult for the oil to work it's way into all the oil journals and path ways.

At first I thought it might of been the evap solenoid because it can make a ticking noise but it honestly sounds way too loud in that video to be that. Hopefully more knowledgeable 3.2 owners can chime in here.
Thanks DopeEffect, my stick doesnt have the 3 holes it in, it looks more like this one http://www.caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/uploads/monthly_04_2009/post-11178-1240959278.jpg but it seems like its to the top, I was thinking like you said do a complete oil change just in case something did go wrong with the oil, but the oil did look really clear

·
Registered
2003 CTS
147 Posts
My advice is not to drive it or you could do more damage. Which would be a pity because it looks like a real nice 03. If like you said the oil level is ok , I would say its not internal. It could be a bad bearing in a pulley maybe tensioner pulley, or it could be a torn timming belt hitting the plastic cover, or even a hockey card stuck in the fan. Thats why its better to get it to a professional before more damage is done. Just saying...

·
Registered
CTS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay guys, here's some updated info on my situation. I took it to a mechanic, he said he didn't know what's wrong and it would cost me a lot of money for him to figure it out, then it would cost me a lot of money for me to fix it. I wanted him to do an oil change but he didn't want to do it due to the fact the car didn't have its original drain plug and had one of those emergency/expansion plugs type's. He said it would cost me $1000 for a new oil pan as well. I asked about oil level and he said the oil level actually looked over full, probably due to the Lucas I put in. So im back to square one, but now I found something interesting, the car itself doesn't make the sound anymore while idling and its a lot more quite now. only time it makes the sound is when the RPM's go high and the sound itself only last's about 10 mins then go's away again back to being quite. Update # 2, This morning Iv been driving all around town even stepping on the gas alittle and the sound is completely gone! Its almost like the car fixed itself!

·
Registered
526 Posts
okay guys, here's some updated info on my situation. I took it to a mechanic, he said he didn't know what's wrong and it would cost me a lot of money for him to figure it out, then it would cost me a lot of money for me to fix it. I wanted him to do an oil change but he didn't want to do it due to the fact the car didn't have its original drain plug and had one of those emergency/expansion plugs type's. He said it would cost me $1000 for a new oil pan as well. I asked about oil level and he said the oil level actually looked over full, probably due to the Lucas I put in. So im back to square one, but now I found something interesting, the car itself doesn't make the sound anymore while idling and its a lot more quite now. only time it makes the sound is when the RPM's go high and the sound itself only last's about 10 mins then go's away again back to being quite. Update # 2, This morning Iv been driving all around town even stepping on the gas alittle and the sound is completely gone! Its almost like the car fixed itself!
You may have put too much oil, which can equally be as destructive as running your car with to little oil. However, that depends on how much was actually in there. Most new cars get overfilled at the factory/dealership for the first time. Your best bet would just to change the oil and inspect it for metal fragments as well as your oil filter. If it all checks out then replace the filter and fill her up with some fresh oil. Just be careful in the future.

·
Registered
CTS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You may have put too much oil, which can equally be as destructive as running your car with to little oil. However, that depends on how much was actually in there. Most new cars get overfilled at the factory/dealership for the first time. Your best bet would just to change the oil and inspect it for metal fragments as well as your oil filter. If it all checks out then replace the filter and fill her up with some fresh oil. Just be careful in the future.
How destructive can over filling oil be? But yea i think changing the oil would be the best thing. Today I bought some Mobil 1 5w-30 high mile Advanced full synthetic (5 quart bottle), Fram oil filter CH9447, and 32oz Marvel Mystery oil. I'm thinking about throwing that in with the oil change cause I heard of good things. Does this all sound good?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts