Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STS, 3.6 V-6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I want to say how great this forum is. I've had my wonderful 2005 STS for 1.5 yrs now and this forum has been a huge help.

My rear diff bushing is bad, and believe me, I have read reams of pages on the forum about this issue. My car only had 63,000 miles on it
and besides the bushing and some leather wear on the dirver seat it is pretty cherry and I want to keep the car for a long time.

Thing is, most of the comments about the bushing are now a few years old.

I wanted to get your opinions on where you all stand today on the rear diff bushing, if you were in my shoes.

My Dealer will charge $600 and put in an OEM bushing.

However, I've read how the OEM bushing is lousy and iIwill be right back with a clunk in short order.

Then I read about the 80a and the 95 level bushings from CS and Rev. I'm 50 yrs old and drive pretty sedately so I was looking at an 80a.

I'm not sure I have the skills ot do this repair myself. The dealer said if I gave them a bushing they would put in in.

What do you all recommend???

Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SF N* RWD NAV F55
705 Posts
And I mean this in the nicest way, Look at the post just above this one !
Titled: Differential Mount part number, and scroll down a little,
to the link to Creative Steel, and get one, for your mechanic to put it
for you. AS I am about to do,as I have the same problem,@ 90,000 miles.
Happy Motoring :):stirpot::highfive:

·
Registered
2005 STS, 3.6 V-6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes I read, and even replied to that post. Revshift lists a CTS bushing and I was wondering if that is the same as the STS bushing.

Thanks for telling me what your plans are. It seems most of the Creative Steel buyers are pretty happy.

That is what I was really wondering about.

The Revshift comes in different hardness and it looks like you dont have to get the extra tool.

I also wonder how many people are just driving/shifting more carefully,as I can keep the clunk from occuring if I am careful :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SF N* RWD NAV F55
705 Posts
I don't know about Revshift, I was referring to the Creative Steel one.
I don't do ANY racing, so maybe 80
Mine Clunks when changing gear at a standstill,
Do NOT hear it when running.
You COULD do it yourself, BUT, You need to rent their tool,
to get the OLD one out.From what I have read in this forum.
Happy Motoring, Get Her Done.....
P.S. IF you hand them the bushing, as I am,
IT Should NOT cost $600.00 to put it in.

·
Registered
2005 STS 1SG
322 Posts
Hi, 3.5 years since I replaced mine (using the "black" daily driver one from CS), and no problems or regrets, also didn't notice any additional vibration or anything so I don't really know what the point of GM's OEM weak version is really. 144k miles on the car now and going strong.

Should you just drive careful? No - it's worth it to repair, you can be as careful as you want and it will still give you some hellacious thunks that you can't avoid. Plus driving "careful" is no fun and probably unsafe compared to driving naturally.

Should you DIY? Depends. It's not a technically challenging job, but it's physically challenging. Easier probably if you have a lift. Money well spent if you don't spend a lot of weekends wrenching under a car.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
2005 STS, 3.6 V-6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to talk to my regular shop and see if they feel comfortable doing the change out and see what

they charge. I'm still not sure if I will get the revshift or the creative steel bushing though.

I appreciate the feed back. As I mentioned before this forum has a ton of great/info and knowledge.

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
215 Posts
I'm very happy with creative steel's bushing. The first one I replaced took me maybe 2.5 Hrs. The second in a friends car took 1.5hrs. Both times using the rented tool. I'm very pleased with the bushing.

·
Registered
'11 CTS-V Coupe M6, '05 1SG STS4 V8
377 Posts
I have the creative steel one and it didn't fix my clunk shifting from drive to reverse and vise versa. Stock bushing actually looked pretty good. Pretty positive I need a new trans mount which is a b*tch to do.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
I have the Creative Steel Bushing & Tool in hand and my local mechanic will be installing it on Wednesday. It arrived 2 days after ordering.

If you live near Cedarburg, WI, Scotty might be willing to do yours, too. I'd split the tool rental with you; that brings it down to $15!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts