Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the problems talked about here is the "clunk" that the driveline (I assume) makes. Can anybody tell me what this is actually and what causes it?

Does it just refer to driveline noise? My Z28 makes all kinds of noises in the driveline...completely UNrefined, is this the same deal with the V?

I test drove a V today and I noticed while engaging/disengaging the clutch and downshifting that it made similar mechanical sounds as my Camaro. Kinda annoying for a $50k "luxury" sport sedan.....

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
Edit - I over posted (pre-espresso morning response) 0002S kept it short and sweet and to the point, so I now echo his response.

·
Registered
none
302 Posts
I just reread the TSB for installing the GM Bushings.

UNBELIEVABLE!!

The TSB does not tell the tech how much to torque the cradle bolts. It says..."Reinstall Cradle Bolts and Tighten." WTF!! No wonder so many of our cars clunk.

It is not the tech's fault at all! :banghead:

Time to break out the Torque Wrench!

·
Registered
05 V/corsa/shifter/bushings/stealth tune/cai/19inch hre's
843 Posts
your going in the right direction...try 190 and 145

·
Registered
~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~
1,749 Posts
The main clunk complaint has nothing to do with the cradle bolts (unless yours are loose and thats a differant issue). The clunk is the soft pinion mount bushing bottoming out when you push the clutch in. Some have reported this bushing failing early, and that the dealer changed it out and clunk went away. Some have reported that the dealer re-torqued the pinion mount bolts and that got rid of the clunk. The cradle, its torque, and bushings all have to do with wheelhop... And... for specter bushings 185-fronts and 140 rears are right on the money. The factory cradle bolts (from the service manual) are 195-fronts and 141-rears and thats because they have no spacers. Proper torque of the cradle bolts (when using spectra bushings) will help rid the wheelhop, not stop the drivetrain clunk.

·
Registered
05 V/corsa/shifter/bushings/stealth tune/cai/19inch hre's
843 Posts
i learned to drive around it...let the clutch out slow...you'll should have no clunk then...good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts