Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want this posted in the lounge because it sounds like gloating. Here's the deal. I can get a smoking deal on a Vette. GMS (yes I'm eligible) from dealer (yes they're willing), minus $1,000 GM card rebates = New 2006 C6 6speed and Z51 package for $38,766. Add another $6,000 for a magna charger and were talking near Z06 performance for $44,766.

So why wait? My hope is that within a year Z06's will be available at GMS pricing. That would put their price at $55,000 to me. Still $10,000 over the Z51 with S/C but probably a better overall package and better resale.

And before anyone asks me to buy a Vette for them and resell, GM has a strict policy on Vette sales at GMS. The owner must hold the car for 2 years.

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
I'd do the C6 and supercharge it. There is a vette place out here in CA (yeah I know, across the country--I'm very confident that a great place(s) exists on the East coast) that makes his living modifying vettes. For a very reasonable price, I'm quite certain that he would produce a C6 vette that would dwarf (with considerable ease) the ~420 rwhp that a new Z06 has---and you'd pay much less...

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
There's a "little" place on Long Island called VetteDoctors that has done some pretty interesting stuff with the C6. IIRC, they Procharged a C6 in GMHighTech magazine. Numbers were very impressive.
Chris, the C6 is beautiful but the LS7 is the deal. If you can wait, I'm sure it'd be a little sweeter than "the settle". And you really wouldn't need to do a damn thing to the Z06, as it is beyond performance box-stock. And it'll come with a warrantee....surely an easier warrantee to use than the V's...
-ace

·
Registered
753 Posts
That C6 deal is almost too good to pass up. Whether you leave the LS2 stock, supercharge it, or do heads and cam, you still have a tremendous performance bargain. The new Z06 is a beast, but having a C6 that can equal its performance and still have $10-12K in your pocket is an attractive alternative.

Tony's Corvettes in Gaithersburg, MD did some great work on my Z06 and I recommend them highly.

CR

·
Registered
523 Posts
WHAT IS GMS????
pardon the question.
Thats a heck of a deal on an 06 vette, awesome car with lots of potential but the z06 will hold better resale.

·
Registered
300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!
8,189 Posts
It'll never be a Z06, you'll always Jones for the Z06, everytime you see a Z06 you'll be just a little green with envy. You'll have to tell people "it's supercharged, it's badder than the Z06" but nobody will believe you. Every time I see a C4 with the top center light I look to see if it's a ZR1 if it's not it doesn't get a second glance.

I guess I could've gotten the base CTS and put a blower in that, but then I'd always be Jonesin' for a V.

Get the Z06 and supercharge it. :sneaky:

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
CVP33 -

Simply put - if you don't need the 4 doors why wait for two? While I won't argue that simply supercharging a C6 makes a Z06 (because it doesn't, save for HP numbers) I'd still take a C6 over my V if I didn't need the back seats - supercharged or not!

Go for it so those of us that can't can drool over your purchase :thumbsup:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have already faced that dilemma.

My answer was to place an order for a Black/Black 2LZ /nav z06 (back in June) which is currently at event code 3000. I should have it by the end of January.

It is just my opinion but a C6 will never be a z06. Why ?

Aluminum frame, magnesium engine cradle and roof support, carbon fiber fenders and bumpers, lighter weight, better handling, 427 from the factory, etc.

Not to mention better resale than the V. ( Don't get me started)

Go for the z06 ! It will be worth the wait and worth the cost.

I waited a year to get my CTS-V as soon as they came out and I paid MSRP. Even though I have taken a huge hit, I still love the CTS-V and enjoy every single minute I drive the car and would not have bought anything else.

My .02 cents,

Jonathan

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
koop said:
You'll have to tell people "it's supercharged, it's badder than the Z06" but nobody will believe you.
Yeah, until you blow their doors off...ESPECIALLY the Z06...:xsmile:

This guy out here (and I'm sure many places across the country) hits 525+ rwhp without even trying (some of his "projects" go up and over 800 rwhp, but I'm sorry--that is TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING, but that is another story...). That is going to smoke the Z06 with ease. Sure I'm only referring to HP, but the stock vette handles pretty damn well on its own. It's not like you are going from a vette to a double-dutch bus. It's still a vette. And, he'll have dinero in his pocket to do other mods, if so desired.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
aren't the z06 getting somewhere in 440rwhp stock? with a simple exhaust/header they're hitting 500rwhp. That's crazy. You should wait for the z06. There is a lot more stuff in the car than regular c6

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
agreed get the z06 man.

the comparison of the regular cts with a blower vs a v is a good one
same as reg vette with a blower vs z06

the cts would prob be faster than the V, but what would you rather have, - easy the V.

the reg vette s/c would prob be faster than the z06, but its still aint no z06 - easy get the z06. Plus all the new technology is really in the z06 not the reg c6. as someone already said...Aluminum frame, magnesium engine cradle and roof support, carbon fiber fenders and bumpers, lighter weight, better handling, 427 from the factory, etc <<<------| THESE ARE THE IMPORTANT THINGS IMHO

·
Registered
753 Posts
IMO, the "CTS with a blower" comparison just doesn't fly. An accurate comparison would be if Caddie offered two variants of the V: a "base" LS2 model and a Super-V with an LS7. Afterall, the Z51 C6 is a highly desireable, world class performance car in its own right. Bone stock, it carves the corners, runs the 1/4 mile in the 12s, and with a simple $3k mod package (airbox, headers and exhaust) can be turned into an absolute screamer. The base CTS is a very nice sedan with unique styling, but it is not a desireable high performance car until it is in V trim.

Sure the C6 Z06 is an icon, but how much deeper one digs into one's pocket to get one is a very personal choice. A deal like this one is hard to dismiss.

CR

PS. Can you buy one and sell it to me after you hook up Urb?:cool2:

·
0 Posts
The shop LUNA is talking about just got their donor c6 to use for their vortech kit. Their usual STOCK ls6 Z06 results with 7psi is well over 500 rwhp. That is the base kit on a bone stock car, blower and tune. They know their stuff to put it mildly. The maggie is a nice system, but for the money, you can do better.

C6 vs. C6Z06.... tuff call. You need to ask yourself how long you plan on keeping the car. Resale.... it's a g.m., and yes it will hold for the short term, but it will fall like all the rest.

My opinion, regular c6 and modd that thing to how you want it. Flip side, the ls7 heads are awesome, simple cam and exhaust will add a ton of power, but the entry fee is high, and do you want to crack open the engine on a $60+k car.

·
Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
12,007 Posts
10secvette said:
and do you want to crack open the engine on a $60+k car.
LOL, what a question on this forum! (I know watcha mean, though.)

Chris: all I can tell you is what I would do, which shouldn't matter much to you. If I could afford the C6, I'd stretch and get the Z06. I know this sounds wierd, but the analogy that works for me is the Mustang vs. Mustang GT. Sure the Mustang's performance is reasonable in that league, but for a bit more money... I don't see how so many people can be happy driving the lesser choice. But that's me.

I think you're like me, though, just 'cause you're asking the question. C'mon, if you thought you'd be happy with the C6, you'd just pull the trigger and get one. Nah, deep down you already know what you want. If you get the C6 you'll be kicking yourself a little for as long as you drive it.

·
0 Posts
lawfive said:
LOL, what a question on this forum! (I know watcha mean, though.)

quote]

Has anyone done H/C yet on this board? Taking the plactic intake off and slapping a maggie on is not opening up the engine.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Devil_concours said:
aren't the z06 getting somewhere in 440rwhp stock? with a simple exhaust/header they're hitting 500rwhp. That's crazy. You should wait for the z06. There is a lot more stuff in the car than regular c6
Based on what I hear from the aforementioned shop here in Ventura county, I'd say that 440 rwhp would be one of the (much) "better" running Z06s...

10secvette said:
The shop LUNA is talking about just got their donor c6 to use for their vortech kit. Their usual STOCK ls6 Z06 results with 7psi is well over 500 rwhp. That is the base kit on a bone stock car, blower and tune. They know their stuff to put it mildly. The maggie is a nice system, but for the money, you can do better.
I would have to agree based on what I have seen at their shop.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts