Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My radio wll occasionally drop a song midway as its playing or just stop and display no device connected. Also doesnt recognize all the music on the drive. Anybody else have similar issues or know of a fix? I have a '20 CT5 premium luxury with the Bose upgraded audio

· Registered
Prev: 2018 ATS 2.0T NOW: 2020 CT4-V JR
2,953 Posts
I format the USB with Fat32, rip with Flac and about 275 songs.
No problems in my CT4V, which is most likely the same stereo.
I keep it simple with only songs, no playlists or albums.

I am not saying that is the only way. The owners manual usually has a list of
formats supported and max size of the USB files.

If you have a huge USB drive, try testing with a smaller amount of songs.

· Registered
98 Posts
It's possible you have a USB port malfunction, they aren't uncommon. It's most likely a file format issue though. as mentioned FAT32 is the preferred format (although NTFS and HFS+ should also be supported.) Playlist file extensions other than .m3u and .pls aren't supported. PCM, WMA,M4A, WAV, AIF, AIFF, ALAC, DSD, DSF and DSDIFF audio formats are not supported either. (Though WMA, M4A, and AIF were on some previous radios and this is the most likely issue)

· Registered
2020 CT6 Premium Luxury; 2009 DTS Premium Luxury; 2009 STS V6 AWD & 2002/2000 Eldorado ETC (traded)
758 Posts
So you can't browse your USB while driving?

:mad:
I think you can but I will have to check on my CT6 which has the same CUE version I believe. Also, some of the information above is incorrect from other posts as the current generation CUE can play ALAC and AAC which use the m4a extension. FAT 32 is limited to 32GB drives so not too useful if you have a lot of files or larger ones like ALAC or FLAC.

· Registered
2010 DTS Premium 2010 Escalade EXT
695 Posts
Old thread, but good read. (y) I also have been having issues with USB (2010 Escalade EXT) and was wondering if the USB's format might have something to do with it.

· Registered
2020 CT6 Premium Luxury; 2009 DTS Premium Luxury; 2009 STS V6 AWD & 2002/2000 Eldorado ETC (traded)
758 Posts
Old thread, but good read. (y) I also have been having issues with USB (2010 Escalade EXT) and was wondering if the USB's format might have something to do with it.
Which format and what are the issues? Your manual should indicate which formats are usable for that CUE system but it seems that FAT32 and NTFS have been used for some time as well as HFS.

· Registered
758 Posts
Sometimes the USB gets corrupted and can be fixed by reformatting the USB drive and reloading the songs to it.
If the drive is truly corrupted it won't even be recognized. You can always connect it to a computer and run a drive utlility like Disk Utility on Mac and then run First Aid.

· Super Moderator
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
4,512 Posts
If the drive is truly corrupted it won't even be recognized. You can always connect it to a computer and run a drive utlility like Disk Utility on Mac and then run First Aid.
Yes, has happened to mine more than a few times now where I have a heck of a time getting my computer to recognize the USB thumb drive. I can always tell when the drive needs to be reformatted when I use VC to bring up an song, get a confirmation but the same song that was playing continues playing. Reformatting and reloading has always corrected it so far. This has happened with two different USB thumb drives. I don't know why it happens but I'm glad I know what the fix is. Is this the problem the poster is having - I don't know, but put this forth in case it might work for him.

· Registered
758 Posts
Yes, has happened to mine more than a few times now where I have a heck of a time getting my computer to recognize the USB thumb drive. I can always tell when the drive needs to be reformatted when I use VC to bring up an song, get a confirmation but the same song that was playing continues playing. Reformatting and reloading has always corrected it so far. This has happened with two different USB thumb drives. I don't know why it happens but I'm glad I know what the fix is. Is this the problem the poster is having - I don't know, but put this forth in case it might work for him.
That's unfortunate that it's happened in the first place and with different drives. So far, I've not experienced that issue using the Samsung SSD but it's not like I drive the car every day so maybe it's going to happen sooner than later. SSD's are supposed to be more robust than flash drives but I think the chip technology is not that different. Something in the CUE system must be causing your issues but since we don't know how it really works, it's difficult to pinpoint. But it reminds me of when you don't eject a drive properly and the computer will let you know that you didn't. It's possible that the CUE system does that improper eject when the car is shut down and you find out later that your drive has an issue.

· Registered
2010 DTS Premium 2010 Escalade EXT
695 Posts
What's the very best method to format?? I'm still using Windows 7 on my home computer, and I can easily format a USB stick using the Windows utility. Below is the command window for formatting a USB stick that I inserted. Are there any options that are better than others (besides FAT32)??? Does "Allocation unit size" affect anything?

Thanks
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

· Registered
758 Posts
What's the very best method to format?? I'm still using Windows 7 on my home computer, and I can easily format a USB stick using the Windows utility. Below is the command window for formatting a USB stick that I inserted. Are there any options that are better than others (besides FAT32)??? Does "Allocation unit size" affect anything?

Thanks
View attachment 626312
I don't use Windows as much as Mac and I can format common Windows format on the Mac also so I don't recall if I just used the defaults listed for allocation size but FAT32 is OK or try NTFS which is a newer format if you find that the USB is having issues. I use NTFS with a Samsung SSD but my car has a newer CUE system so I don't know if NTFS works on yours that's why I said to check the manual but FAT32 has been used for years so that is probably the safer choice.

What issues are you having with the USB drive?

· Super Moderator
4,512 Posts

Thanks
View attachment 626312
Usually best to use the default for Allocation Unit Size - which will change based on the size (GB) of the flash drive USB. It is more applicable to NTFS format that FAT32.
So all you have to do is click start for quick format to begin the process, or uncheck quick format and click start for the longer version format which does a better job at checking for errors but depending on the size of the thumb drive can take well over an hour or more.

· Super Moderator
4,512 Posts
That's unfortunate that it's happened in the first place and with different drives. So far, I've not experienced that issue using the Samsung SSD but it's not like I drive the car every day so maybe it's going to happen sooner than later. SSD's are supposed to be more robust than flash drives but I think the chip technology is not that different. Something in the CUE system must be causing your issues but since we don't know how it really works, it's difficult to pinpoint. But it reminds me of when you don't eject a drive properly and the computer will let you know that you didn't. It's possible that the CUE system does that improper eject when the car is shut down and you find out later that your drive has an issue.
It only happens once or twice a year...bit of a pain but not too bad.

· Registered
758 Posts
If this is true, my order for a 2023 CT5-V has just been cancelled. I will try my thumb drive that I use in my 2018 CT6 in 2023 CT5-V when/if it ever shows up on my Dealer's lot.
If you look at the first couple of posts, these are older ones and have some misinformation I mentioned before. The OP never stated what audio format was being used so it sounds like it was a flash drive problem. The CUE system will just ignore the files it cannot play such as AIFF ones so that fact that the OP was playing some files indicates the system recognized those. SSD's are better than flash drives anyway if for nothing else than indexing speed.

· Registered
758 Posts
So you can't browse your USB while driving?

:mad:
Sorry I forgot to reply earlier. But yes, you can browse your USB tracks on the CUE system while driving at least on my CT6. Album art will only show in album view if it's properly embedded. I rarely use CarPlay so I can't comment on browsing using that feature.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts