Cadillac Owners Forum banner

playing card in bike spokes -- wierd engine noise, vvt?

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  B Hoth 
#1 ·
So ever since I purchased my 04 3.6l, I've heard a rapid clicking noise from the engine bay. It sounds similar to a noise you would've heard as a kid when you stuck a playing card or baseball card in your bike wheel spokes to get a clicking sound.

I have been to two dealers about this; the first didn't "hear" anything and the second said it's just the normal sound of a VVT engine. Now, I've heard other CTS's running and never heard this noise. Anyone with similar problems or a suggestion? Thanks!

Jon

#2 ·
I have the same noice in my 3.2L engine. I haven't had it checked out really, but they do a 20 point inspection when they change my oil, and they haven't said anything being wrong. Unless it starts to be a problem, I'm not going to bother with it because if you take it in they probably won't find anything. But when I get the headers and exhaust put on, it will probably cover it up anyways.

#3 ·
Take a look at the cooling fans, it's possible theirs a slight contact with the fan shroud, but they probably would have caught that. It might be a piece of tape or wire harness that makes contact intermittenly with the fan blades. AC blower motor maybe(this should be when you turn on the blower-turn the air on then off to see if the noise comes and goes that way). I've seen leaves (usually oak leaves) work their way into some place's causing noise when they blow around in a small space. Make sure the whel well trim isn;t coming into contact with the tire. Let us know what it turns out to be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.