Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Eldorado
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, had my car on jacks to replace the brakes and rotors and noticed some play in the front driver's side wheel. I grabbed the tire and it moved a little back anf forth. Is this the wheel and hub or something else? Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
Where did you grab it? If you grabbed it at 12:00 & 6:00 then it is likely the bearing, but they will usually give you an audible warning before a visual one. If you grabbed it at 3:00 & 9:00, then it is more likely a tie rod.

·
Registered
'93 STS (sold), now looking for a CTS Wagon soon!!
503 Posts
Hey guys, had my car on jacks to replace the brakes and rotors and noticed some play in the front driver's side wheel. I grabbed the tire and it moved a little back anf forth. Is this the wheel and hub or something else? Thanks for the help!
This may be a silly thought, but is your steering wheel moving a bit? Is your other wheel moving a bit, where you are just moving the whole steering assembly?

Check your lug nuts?

·
Registered
'97 Seville '76 Eldorado
67 Posts
Ranger I'm at 104,000 and getting an audible sound. I replaced both half shafts and didn't change much. I get a sound I can't describe under accelaration. It changes and/or goes away by moving the wheel under accelaration. I didn't notice anything loose when I changed the shafts.

·
Registered
97 Eldorado
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope, differnt person. I grabbed it at 3 and 9. Also, while i had the tire off, i could move the hub itself where the other side had no play in it. Pretty sure it is the hub and bearings. Anybody help me on how difficult it is and what I need to do it? Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
Jefholl,
Do it again at 3:00 & 9:00 and watch the tie rod when you do it. Did you do it at 12:00 & 6:00 with the tire on?

Jholland,
Do a series of "S" turns like a Nascar driver warming his tires. Does the sound get louder in one direction and quieter in the other?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Again Ranger has some good advice.
If you hold the tire at 12 and 6 (tire on) and it rocks a bit it is most likely a loose hub.
Sometimes you can tighten the axle nut, but usually it will need replaced soon.
If it is loose at 3 and 9 it could be the tie rod, looking right at it will usually reveal whether or not it is the cause.
They can be loose and not make noise but the sound Ranger is referring to is indicative of a chipped bearing inside the hub, another common failure.
Comparing it to the other side is an excellent idea.
Rarely do they both go bad at the same time.

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Have done all 4 front wheel bearings on both our 2001 Sevilles. Not hard, buy the big socket for the shaft nut,,, and your going to have to smack the driveshaft out of the hub.

Ebay gets $90 for the bearing, or about $110 at Auto Zone.

·
Registered
'97 Seville '76 Eldorado
67 Posts
I get a slight movement when I hold the wheel a 12:00 and 6:00 on the driver's side. When I do S turns it is silent when I move the wheel to the left. I assume based on that its the driver's side. The GM dealer wants 220.00 for the hub. Is there a difference between an aftermarker Timken hub vs GM or is it a timken in a GM box?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts