Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Phantom CTS Vsport
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to try this. Doesn't cost much but time. I also had some custom VSport logo decals made. Only did the front for now, I'll get to the rears eventually.

Heat tests tell me the plastidip will hold up in normal driving in my moderate climate. At worst, an over temp will result in oranging of the red. No loss, just peel it off! I'll powder coat some day...

·
Registered
2015 Phantom CTS Vsport
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
5000 miles, 3 autocross sessions and they haven't changed at all. However, I live in a moderate climate. I've never driven in temps below 45 or higher than 85.

I tested plastidip on a piece of sheet metal and heated it with a heat gun from behind to around 380* (I don't remember the exact number anymore) and also put it in the oven at 400* for 15 min. Only pointing the heat gun directly at it caused it to orange and then melt. Otherwise it holds up fine to normal brake temps and is still peelable.

·
Registered
2015 Phantom CTS Vsport
490 Posts
I'm personally not a fan of V decals on a VSport, so I made vector images of the VSport logo. You can find them in this post: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-v-sport-appearance-mods/910673-vsport-logo-vector-images-decals.html

These images are sizeable without distortion, but the link on the post is correct size for VSport calipers. I used vinylstatus.com for decal printing and they have held on for 5000 miles so far and don't look to be peeling. I will say, the rears will not stick unless you grind down the caliper casting lines to make a smooth surface for it to adhere to.

Also, the plastidip will lift in those little cutouts/crevices in the caliper IF you don't clean them REALLY REALLY well. I had some lifting, peeled out and blended those sections with mineral spirits and re-sprayed. Would have saved me a lot of time had a I cleaned those hard to reach areas with a Q-tip first.

·
Registered
none
1,102 Posts
Has anyone used the G2 caliper paint? I've used the brush on kit a couple of times and they held up really well. I'm considering using them again for the vsport.

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,468 Posts
Has anyone used the G2 caliper paint? I've used the brush on kit a couple of times and they held up really well. I'm considering using them again for the vsport.
Ive also used the G2 and had great results. If I paint mine I will use the G2

·
Registered
Had 2009 V, Red/Blk 2016 Now
4,186 Posts
I ordered the Brembo decals, and will also try the brush-on paint. I've used the spray in tha past, and it has held up very well, but the prep of masking takes time.

·
Registered
2015 Phantom CTS Vsport
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can read my original post and another one half way down this thread regarding heat issues.

I've also put 5000 miles and 3 Autocross events on them.

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,468 Posts
I just finished my calipers.
G2 red, with stock-type Brembo decals from ebay.
Done on vehicle, taped and painted, did not remove or loosen calipers.
Yes, it was more work than I thought it would be(of course), but I think it was worth it.
Nice. Looks good.

·
Registered
none
1,102 Posts
I just finished my calipers.
G2 red, with stock-type Brembo decals from ebay.
Done on vehicle, taped and painted, did not remove or loosen calipers.
Yes, it was more work than I thought it would be(of course), but I think it was worth it.
The G2 is a two part system right? Did you do all four at once? Im kind of leaning towards duplicolor because it's not a two part system so I could do one at a time if I have limited time. I really dont like having the entire car on stands so last time I painted calipers I did one side one day, and the other side the next day.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts