Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STS V-8 1SF Magneride HUD/ACC
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New wheels I'm about to put on my STS for summer included plastic hub rings. Is it worth spending a few more bucks for aluminum?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
66,971 Posts
If you're asking about centering rings ...........

Most of our wheels center on the hub bore, thus the adapter rings. Once mounted, centered, and properly torqued the lugs and nuts carry all the load, so .............

If the idea of metal centering rings appeals, look through https://www.ezaccessory.com/ - they may have some.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually Sub, my extensive research says that neither the center bore nor the lug studs carry the load. Once properly torqued, friction between the hub and wheel is what carries the load. I would post a link, but I've read so much, I don't remember where that was.

Yes, centering rings. The interweb seems split about 50/50 so I asked my buddy who's mounting the tires. He's been a mechanic at his family's shop for about 25 years. He said he's used both but prefers aluminum - no reason. So I ordered a set off feeBay and plan to see if there's any difference in fit between the two.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
66,971 Posts
I still maintain that the correct centering and lug/nut torque creates​ the wheel/brake disc/hub clamping friction that carries the load. In other words ............ :sneaky:

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
7,829 Posts
Either should work just fine. I had plastic ones for my Subaru for years and they were pretty much trouble-free; I have since sold that set of wheels, and the rings went on to the new owner. I've seen plastic ones that are pretty cheesy and seem kind of brittle / prone to cracking. The ones I had seemed like they were some sort of composite material maybe? The wheels in question were my auto-x / track wheels, so the centering rings had to deal with high temps. One cracked, but it was still functional; that was the only issue I had.

My buddy that I do track days with has aluminum ones for his track wheels. Again, no issues, and he's had the rings for years.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,645 Posts
I prefer the plastic ones. I've used both on a few cars over the years and I've had some issues where the aluminum ones get stuck on the wheel or the hub. Never had that issue with the plastic ones, and I'll admit freely that they were $6 ebay specials. Ran them for 40k miles with no problems on my daily driver LS400.

It's basically preference, in my experience.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a set of each. Had expected to have the new wheels on weeks ago until Winter 2.0 hit my part of the Midwest. I can tell you so far that the aluminum are a snugger fit in the wheels, but can't say yet are tighter on the hubs. I hope to know soon and if I do use the aluminum, I'll use plenty of anti-seize.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went with the plastic. The amount of "play", very limited that it is, was about equal. The aluminum fit the wheel tighter, but the plastic fit the hub tighter. So the decision came down to did I feel like making a mess with anti-seize. I chose not to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts