Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,143 Posts
Re: plasti dip grille...

It definitely looks good.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6DI
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Did 6 coats cause it was my first time messing with this stuff...but I think I was good at 3 or 4 lol...

·
Registered
2008 CTS(Pluto)
55 Posts
Did 6 coats cause it was my first time messing with this stuff...but I think I was good at 3 or 4 lol...
Not bad....how do you wash your car? Automatic or hand wash? I watched a couple videos with plasti dipped parts and it seems to hold up well. Just wanted to see how your grille is holding up.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6DI
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

pluto...ive been through the auto car wash 5 or 6 times since doing the grille...no probs...its actually pretty durable so give it a try...they wipe down the car after the wash and theres no sign of breakdown in the pasti-dip...pretty amazing material...

·
Registered
2011 cts premium
66 Posts
I've been through the car wash with my plasti dipped grill and rims twice a week for the last year ! probably 50+ times everything looks the way it did the first day I dipped it ! Just Go for it you'll be glad you did ! After you do plasti dip your grill you'll be looking for things too dip :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Did you remove the grille for the dip ? If not how did you avoid overspray on the inside behind the grille ? I've never used this stuff before and i'm really considerin dipping my grill.

·
Registered
2011 cts premium
66 Posts
eborunda said:
Did you remove the grille for the dip ? If not how did you avoid overspray on the inside behind the grille ? I've never used this stuff before and i'm really considerin dipping my grill.
To plasti dip your grill , first you want to mask off the sides of your grill with about a half inch boarder around your grill . Next step would be to make sure you have a warm can of plasti dip ( goes on better ) I used a piece of cardboard behind my grill to Protect my radiator from over spray . Start off with light coats over entire surface of grill and allow to dry . You should put on at least 4 coats of dip on your grill ! than unmask the tape than take out cardboard !
Should take no longer than 45 min . Use your judgement on your emblem if you want to remove the dip from it !

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6DI
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

what crippler said...

as far as the emblem...i sprayed directly on the emblem and peeled the plasti dip from the emblem when finished...it presents a clean professional appearance and is easier then masking it off and worrying about peeling the dip from the rest of the grille...

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac Black Raven CTS4 3.6 DI, 1992 GTA Trans Am
31 Posts

Thank you for motivating me.... When warmer temps return to Ontario in the spring I will be doing this. :)

·
Registered
CTS Coupe
39 Posts

Looks great. Did you spray over the chrome bezel at the top and sides and then peel it off the chrome?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts