Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Deville, 1990 Deville
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new Pioneer head unit into my 1998 Deville, and I am having some problems.

If I leave the car for awhile, I lose mileage info, stereo settings, etc... and sometimes the keyless entry will not work.
Also the steering wheel stereo controls do not work at all.

When I bought the stereo, they gave me a module that I installed into the new harness wiring that is suposed to retain the features from the old factory stereo.

I heard somewhere that I have to run another powere line to the stereo to keep memory. Is this true, and how would I go about doing this?

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
There's 12v constant and 12v switched. 12v constant is the wire used to retain memory, settings, and clocks. 12v switched is a line that comes on when you turn the key (turns on and powers the radio).

Check the 12v constant. I THINK its usually yellow on new harness adapters. Check the included diagram.

·
Registered
97 deville
562 Posts
i think it has already been decided around here by a pretty much unanimous decision that your steering wheel controls for the stereo. the keyless entry, that has been an ongoing debate. some lose it, some dont, some have mixed results. i personally dont know cuz mine never worked to begin with.

however, all your memory settings, CAN be saved =] heres how:

your 12v constant and switched wires, which will probably be red and yellow, or yellow and red (it doesnt matter in this case), have to be connected from your head unit to the battery. youll also need a fuse holder for the specific size wire youre working with and a matching fuse. i picked both up at radio shack for just a few bucks. youll also need some extra speaker wire.

-take out your glove box
-connect the extra speaker wires to your + battery terminal
-a foot or so from the battery, cut the wires and connect them to your little fuse holder
-off the other side of the fuse holder, the wires go straight to your HU
-looking at the engine bay, look towards the passenger side, up at the top of the firewall...there should be a black plastic box attached to the firewall, with a mess of wires coming outof it. THIS box is easy access from the engine bay to the dash.
-drill a very small hole through this box, just big enough to get the wires through it. its a good idea to remove this little box before you drill through it just to make sure you dont hit any wires (and to see where youll be pushing the wires through). careful, its plastic, and your bit is going to tear through it REAL quick once it bites.
-put your wires through the box, making sure it snakes through into your dash. this is why youre glove box is out!
-pull the wires over to your HU where you need them, and connect to the 12v red and yellow straight off the HU harness.

oh, and then put your fuse in.

keep in mind your stereo will always have juice. you can turn it on without keys, its kinda cool. when i leave the car i always make it a point to shut it off, and pull the faceplate just for safe measure. although i did leave the face on overnight one time, and i still have 14+ battery volts the next morning.

these directions are probably way too detailed, and way too long, and i apologize. i just wanna be sure you get it right the first time. errr second time! its a lot easier that it seems.

good luck!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx much for the details procedure. (don't apologize, i prefer detailed steps.)

it all seems easy enough, but i was wondering a few things...

has anyone looked at the schematics for the steering wheel controls? they must either interface directly with the factory headunit through the harness, or give the computer commands, which it then sends down through the harness into the head unit. so there should be a way to use these signals to control something. (i guess the head unit would have to be modified to accept wired volume, channel controls. hmm...)

and another thing... the factory head unit keeps its memory, so doesn't that mean that it has power all the time. and the only thing it could get that power from is the original harness. so why is a direct-to-the-battery splice needed?

just wondering. i'm new to this year caddy. have dealt extensively with a 1988, and a 1990 deville in the past, and they do not have these issues.

·
Registered
97 deville
562 Posts
ive also had experience with a 1990 deville, that was too easy to swap a head unit though. childs play!

i too wonder, why on earth does the original tape deck keep its settings, while my cd player dies after 10 minutes. when i took out my factory tape deck, i couldnt help but notice the size of the darn thing. its wide, its tall, and its deep into the dash. i figure there has to be SOMETHING else other than just your typical radio inside the thing. perhaps there is some sort of module for an alarm? door chime? steering wheel controls? adding in the 10 minute accesory power keep-alive thingy that these cars come with...and i guess that would just about explain why its fine until you leave it alone for 10 minutes.

whatever the heck it is, my new head unit doesnt have it. the old deck had to have been designed to receive and send out certain signals that an aftermarket deck cant. GM obviously didnt plan out the audio with anything aftermarket in mind.

ive never heard of any type of adapter or module in order to keep your steering wheel controls. i wouldnt completely rule it out though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i actually would not be surprised if the factory head unit had some sort of persistent memory... meaning power not needed to retain it. that being said, i am going to take it apart to investigate. lol.

anyway, i've recently heard that some people make modified harnesses, which allow you to install a new head unit, and relocate the old one to some other location in the car, like the trunk. this way you still have the features of the factory unit, but the sound output from the new one.

anyone know if there is any truth to this?

i'm kinda hoping i'll find a module that can be seperated from the factory head unit when i open it up. hehe.

·
Registered
97 deville
562 Posts
ive considered opening up the tape deck also, just never had the time for it.

i know theres a guy on here that put his factory deck just resting in the center console and installed a new HU. i cant remember what kind of successes he had from it. i think he ended up moving it into the trunk with a very long harness.

i wanna say it was powerglide or weister? or something like that? theyve both got basically the same car i think, and both have been involved in the 97-99 deville HU discussions so i mix them up =]

·
Registered
1998 Deville D'Elegance
133 Posts
From what I understand the factory HU's store their setting in the cars computer. Along with power seat and HVAC setting if you have the personalization feature. On my 98 DeVille when I turn the car off (and open the door or wait the 10mins) it stores the current HVAC settings and stereo settings so IN THEORY if I put a different factory HU in the car when I turn it on it will have the same station presets, etc. as the old. and I have buttons on the door for memory seat settings.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Weisters wired his factory deck and aftermarket HU in his 98. Do a earch for pics. Chuck is right, this has been discussed at length in here use the serach functon for more threads. The fix Chuck is suggesting is probably the simplest fix as long as you dont need the chime and such. As for me I am too lazy to do either and continue to live with the hassle of lost memory and sleep mode......I consider a securit feature ;-) But one of these days I will wire the HU to the battery once and for all.

·
Registered
68 SDV,04 XLR,97&99 4dr tahoe,67 lincoln,98 jeep xj, 69c10
392 Posts
I retained the steering wheel controls iny DTS, there is a harness that is made by peripheral that weill give you all your steering wheel controls to whatever deck you want (that has an ir recever) the part is the Peswix
http://peripheralelectronics.com/web/steering.asp here is the link
it takes like 45 min from start-finish and only have to connect to like 3 wires... very easy

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thx much for the info.

had no ideas such a product existed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, finally got some time to work on this.

i am following someone's suggestion and putting the factory head unit in the trunk, wired to the front harness using only the power lines, and bus data lines.
the new head unit will wire into the existing harness.
this should let me retain the computer functions in the old head unit.

i just got an old amp/subwoofers and i am installing that as well.
i have most of the wires in place, but i have a couple questions...

where do i connect the positive power cable from the amp? i have side terminals on my battery, and no place to connect the amp. is there a terminal block somewhere that is meant for connecting accessories to?

also, there is a "remote turn on" terminal on my amp in addition to the +/- connections. do i need to use this, and if so, what type of wire, and where do i connect it to?

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan
897 Posts
Zup cad_90, I also own a 98 Deville with standard Delco tape deck radio and like powerglide said I have the same exact problem as you...let me list a few things that I learned from getting it to work...

1. Mine(and your) Deville needs to have the factory deck hooked up to the car for the chime, remote lock and retained memory to work properly.

2. The factory radio itself is the chime, it comes out of your front left speaker. You can get chime by simply hookup a speaker to the front left speaker output of your factory radio, but I don't care about the chime anyway.

3. The "smart" interface from Metra or whatever does not work. I tried two units with the same results...radio only comes on half the time, door chime now sounds horrible, sometimes it jut cuts off power to the CD player.

4. You can get the steering wheel controls to work with a adapter kit, it turns the signal from your wheel controls into wireless infra-red and program it to work with your existing radio. I didn't bother to look for it since I can just use the remote that came with my CD player.

I simply bypassed the factory stereo completely while keep it hooked up to the car. I moved the factory radio to under the ashtray but there's a special harness you can buy so it can be relocated in the trunk, again I don't know where to get them. I ran new wires for everything, pretty much a "piggyback" stereo that is totally seperate from my car's own electrical control system.

Let me know if you would like to go this route and I can give ya the details:thepan:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes, very cool.

what i need to know is how you did the wiring.
the factory radio is piggybacked onto the old harness wires. that i was going to do anyway.

but... since the factory radio would still be connected, do i need to use the special harness that came with my new radio? i am assuming yes, but i do not want to use the "chime box" thing they gave me. it sounds like crap.

thx for the info, i think i can handle doing this now.

any ideas on how to connect the amp power wire to the battery?
and if i need the "remote turn on" line?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok got the new head unit in and working.

wired the factory unit in the trunk, ran wires to the front and piggy-backed into the harness. new radio works fine, no loss of car memory, radio memory, etc...

one thing i had to do was wire the "ACC" switched power line from the new head unit into a fused accessory power line from the large harness under the steering wheel area. according to the service manual, the pin is E5 (white wire on one side, yellow on the other.) it is protected by a fuse in the engine compartment.

this line is only hot when the key is on, or the car is running.

i mounted the old head unit to the cross-member bar in the passenger side rear fender using really big zip-ties.

everything is working superbly.

ow i am workin gon the amp wiring. i have the signal lines, power line, and remote turn on line installled. i do not know however how to connect the power line to the battery, because the battery terminals/cables do not allow other connections.

also i do not know what to do with the "remote turn on" line from the amp.
maybe this should go to the "power antenna" line? since it comes on only when the radio is turned on.

anyone know?

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan
897 Posts
How did u find or make the harness so I can put my radio in the trunk??? Do tell:bouncy: Here's what I did...

First thing is to install the power wires. I have one 8 gauge power wire for my headunit and 1/0 gauge going into my trunk for my amps. I also did the chassis-to-battery upgrade to insure good power flow. I used 12 gauge wire for subs and 14 gauge wire for main speakers, all are high quality oxygen free copper. For my system size I sholud have a bigger alternator, at least a second battery and even more wires, but I'm not that far yet:)

I didn't want to drill holes in my car body so I did this...I carefully cut the plastic off just enough to get the wire through. but I think drilling a hole in the body is still a better solution.

This is my headunit, a Clarion DXZ745MP. The left black switch is connected between the acc/12V so I can turn my stereo on without a key:rolleyes: . The left switches are connected between the remote turn-on wire to 2 amps, I can turn my mid/high and subwoofer amp on and off individually. The bottom two rows are LED voltage meters that I made, they're in .5v increments. the top one monitors the front battery while the bottom one meters my sub amp. right now they're at 12.5v.

Hidden JBL component sets in each door, I maintained the factory look, the only way to tell is by the black tweeter and the beautiful sound haha.

To reduce interference, I ran the RCA wires on the left side of the car while the powerline and remote power are on the right. It also make sense to run the power wire on the right since the battery is on the right side. There are plenty of room in these caddies for huge wires.

MY trunk view without my amps or subs. Notice that I kept everything on even the carpet, I want a clean look so I gave up some bass power.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
very nice! ... except for having the old head unit on the floor :(

thx for the pics. i wanna see the trunk with the amps and subs in though.

it looks like you left the old head unit connected using the factory harness, and then spliced the new stereo into those wires? (noticed the grey tape on the harness.)

i did it a little differently...

i will try to take some pics of the wiring and setup, but here is the description:

got the connector that goes for my car, and spliced it onto the harness from my new stereo. (didnt use the "chime" module thaat came with it. it just causes problems.) into this harness i spliced 4 wires, the ground (black), the positive battery power (always on, yellow), the power antenna power (blue), and the double class-2 serial data bus lines (purple, can by connected together to 1 wire.)

these 4 wires i ran from there to the trunk, on the rigth side of the car. then i got a harness that is identical to the one that comes with the car to plug into the factory head unit. connected th proper wires, (no need to have the illumination wire, or speaker wires).

then i mounted the old head unit to the stabilizer bar inside the passenger side rear fender, (next to the antenna motor). i used a hella lot of LARGE zip ties to secure it firmly so that it will not touch the fender.

oh last thing to do is remove the power/volume knob from the old head unit, so the carpet will not turn it on.

now for the most important step i had to do, (results may vary)...

the harness i have has 2 power lines, (battery always on yellow, and ACC switched red.) the yellow was already taken care of by the factory harness bat line, but the factory harness DOES NOT have an ACC line.

so after extensive reading through the service manuals, i found the pinout for the big harness under the steering column. among the wires it has is a "only on when car or key is on" wire (E5 white wire). i patched a wire into this (soldered and taped of course), and ran that to the ACC line on the new stereo harness.

DONE.

hope this helps anyone trying to put a decent sound system in thier caddy instead of the crappy one it comes with.

cheers!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts