Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
STS-V
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading a thread and I was surprised to see that you guys are sticking the boost gauge in the ashtray. Hasn't anyone fabricated a pillar gauge yet? If there is any way of getting an auxillary input to the navigation, perhaps electronic gauges would be a slick way to go. It would take some poking around the internet, but I'm sure you can find a monitoring program for linux and maybe windows (given that windows couldnt run at 320 non interlaced).

I know that when I get my V I'll be exploring many ways of integrating a computer to handle basic functions. If only the web browser built into the nav had some way of reaching other computers (aka networked server in car).. Then a java based boost gauge would be amazing.. Imagine that, your car's very own web page served off a server in the trunk which gathers the data YOU want.. Its all very realistic. I'm sure there are some techies in here that might want to chime in.

Excuse me if am getting too picky, but seemless integration is top priority when I mod.

·
Registered
Owned 3 V's, now driving a Wrangler and XT5
2,574 Posts
Yeah, that would be ricey.

·
Registered
STS-V
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hahaha.. I hear ya, i never thought about the airbags. As previously stated, I am going to do digital, one way or another... Excuse me if I sound rude, but wouldn't the ashtray thing look kinda hacked? And pillar gauges are not ricey.. Pillar gauges that have a ****ing voltmeter and other bs are, but when they serve a purpose.. ie boost, pyrometer.. thats all business

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I looked into the pod thing. They have a minimum to make them ,like 25 peices.
Most cars have the A pillar painted, so no issue. The V is covered with cloth. It would be hard to dup and cover with those protrusions and look nice. I did the ashtray and have 2 guages in it. It was ver difficult to do. Took me 2 months to get it right but it looks factory.

As far as the airbag, that plastic cover would blow off in a flash.

T

·
0 Posts
Do you guys remember the V owner that put a pod on top of the Radio/Nav? I wish I could find a picture of that. Now that was rice all the way!

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
1,690 Posts
I agree, it would be sweet for the Nav to interupt with a boost gauge but a real looking one not like the cheesey stabitrak symbol. You'd think if it could play DVD quality they could have a biatchin' computer generated boost gauge.
HAL where are you??

Need a 15 year old computer wiz to hack in.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
2004ctsv said:
M

Nice set up. It looks like it came w/ the car.

How did you put those gauges in?

Thanks

Tony
I bought a new mask from cadillac. Totally disassemled it. I had a guy mold an angled gage holder, bonded it in, painted it flat black. A lot of chopping, cutting & fiddling around. Gauges are VDO vision. In my opinion the finest analog gages going. This is a job for someone who has done some modeling or prototyping. I have way too much time and expense in it. Realistically it would cost someone $600 to duplicate..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts