Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realized that in the months I've been on the board, I've never posted any pictures of my ETC! I spent the afternoon today with a few bottles of Zaino, and this is the result! I went nuts on it too... even waxed the wheels!

She's a 1997 with 55k. Purchased her in August, and I've been having a great time ever since!

http://community.webshots.com/album/101023964hDRYib

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
BostonETC97 said:
I realized that in the months I've been on the board, I've never posted any pictures of my ETC! I spent the afternoon today with a few bottles of Zaino, and this is the result! I went nuts on it too... even waxed the wheels!

She's a 1997 with 55k. Purchased her in August, and I've been having a great time ever since!

http://community.webshots.com/album/101023964hDRYib

That looks great. What do you think of the stuff do you really like it. Is it that much better than other wax.
That is one pretty car you got can't believe the mileage on it though

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess it looks a bit better than the results of my regular Mother's California Gold wax I've always used. Personally, I think any quality polish works well as long as it's easy to use, and lasts more than one rainstorm or carwash. Living up here in Boston during the winter sure does its job on the surface of the car. I've been told that a coat of Zaino will easily last though the winter. This will be my first year of using Zaino, so I'll be sure to let you know! In the winter I tend to have the car washed after each major snow, since it gets me very uncomfortable to have the salty residue on the car for more than a day or so.

My real concern for the winter is the under-side of the car. I try to avoid driving in the snow whenever possible, but it always seems I'm on the road when the big storms hit. I'm worried about the ride-control system and all it's wiring and tubing. I'm hoping having the wheel-wells jam-packed with snow (which I always try to avoid!) isn't going to take its toll.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
If you keep up on washing the car its fine! My car has been in the salt belt all its life and only has rust on the exhaust nuts/bolts.... none on the frame or body!!!

The key is to keep the underbody well flushed..... Automatic car washes are perfect since they flush the underside! I use a method I devised myself..... I take a lawn sprinkler (the kind that has multiple jets and sprays up like a fan), and put it in various spots under the body!

Plus, my car went with the 3 tone white/gray/crimson pearl metallic..... I waxed it up good not to long ago, so i feel safe over the winter

·
Registered
'06 DTS Performance
204 Posts
Beautiful!

I have a '97 STS. I think Cadillac styling has not been as
attractive since.

Take those silly looking plastic upper front seat belt
retractor casings for example. They look like a cheap
last second add-on vice the builtin design of the pre-'98
models.

I do like some of the electronic luxury enhancements of
'98 and newer models though.

Just my opinion. I realize beauty is in the eye of
the beholder (owner). :)

Once more, like I said above, "Beautiful!"

..rickko..

·
Registered
14 Posts
BostonETC97 said:
I guess it looks a bit better than the results of my regular Mother's California Gold wax I've always used. Personally, I think any quality polish works well as long as it's easy to use, and lasts more than one rainstorm or carwash. Living up here in Boston during the winter sure does its job on the surface of the car. I've been told that a coat of Zaino will easily last though the winter. This will be my first year of using Zaino, so I'll be sure to let you know! In the winter I tend to have the car washed after each major snow, since it gets me very uncomfortable to have the salty residue on the car for more than a day or so.

My real concern for the winter is the under-side of the car. I try to avoid driving in the snow whenever possible, but it always seems I'm on the road when the big storms hit. I'm worried about the ride-control system and all it's wiring and tubing. I'm hoping having the wheel-wells jam-packed with snow (which I always try to avoid!) isn't going to take its toll.
Anyone with experience (and opinions) on Zaino vs Mothers wax or polishes ? I know Mothers products work extremely well, if this Zaino stuff is even better, I'm ready 2 try,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
14 Posts
rickko said:
Beautiful!

I have a '97 STS. I think Cadillac styling has not been as
attractive since.

Take those silly looking plastic upper front seat belt
retractor casings for example. They look like a cheap
last second add-on vice the builtin design of the pre-'98
models.

I do like some of the electronic luxury enhancements of
'98 and newer models though.

Just my opinion. I realize beauty is in the eye of
the beholder (owner). :)

Once more, like I said above, "Beautiful!"

..rickko..
I believe that 98 is the first year with the seat belt tensioners which give you slack, when you want it, for comfort. Some people think they are not functioning properly, when they realize they will give you slack.,,,,,,,

·
Registered
05 SRX (past- 01STS,93STS)
92 Posts
I've been using Zaino for about 1-1/2 years and I think it's Da Bomb. I haven't experienced any wax/polish product that shines as deep and last so long. I gave away almost all my other products.

The downside is the amount of time to get there if you follow the rules...but it's worth it. It's not abrasive, it "layers" over the paint...kinda like the effect when your car is wet, it looks deep and reflective. In my experience, it won't look good if you don't do at least 2 layers. By 5 layers, I think it's diminishing returns. Some people do 20 layers!

It's important to follow their procedure with the proper towels, premium clay bar, etc. Even if you don't use Zaino, read their web page and learn to use the right supplies. 100% cotton is not necessarily 100% cotton!

As an example, my 93 STS has years of water spots burned into paint from allowing beaded water to dry in the sun. A detailer couldn't get them out and I tried other polishes. Two layers of Zaino made about 85% of them invisible.

Mike [:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's funny this topic resurfaced today - I just Zaino'd my car again yesterday!

I do have to say that I'm a bit more impressed with the Zaino than the Mother's, especially after the conditions my Eldorado has been exposed to. This winter has been very salty & slushy, yet even before I re-applied the Zaino yesterday, the car still had a deep gloss to the paint, and the salt would simply rinse off the car with minimal effort. Even before I re-applied the polish yesterday, the water would bead off the car as well as the day I applied the polish in the fall.

Zaino is a bit more complex to use, as it has many steps, and must be done in the proper order. The end result is definately worth the effort!

Mother's is also very good wax. It cleans the paint nicely, and does provide a lasting shine and protection. I still use mother's on my Jeep, since I don't feel that car requires the effort (and cost!) of the Zaino. The paint on the Jeep still looks great, although the shine is not quite as deep or lasting as that of the Cadillac.

I don't feel one brand is particularly better than the other, but they just serve different purposes. If I wasn't willing to put the all-day Zaino effort into the Cadillac, I'm sure I could probably get the same shine & protection from the Mother's, but I'd probably have to re-apply every month or so to compete with the durability of the Zaino.

Just my 2 cents!

PS.... I have a number of friends who are using "Liquid Glass," and claim it is even more impressive than Zaino! Guess there's always something new to be tried!

·
Registered
92 Posts
ScottM6193 said:
Is Zaino good at getting out swirl marks? I have many on my car. Or, do you think a paint polish is the right way to go?
Zaino is completely non-abrasive, which is in contrast to pretty much every other product- Liquid Glass, Ultra Finish, NuFinish, Zymol...anything that says "cleaner wax".... all abrasive and they lightly grind down the finish to remove swirl. Zaino builds layers that fill in the swirl. It it so unabrasive that if you have hard water spots from washing the car, you need to wipe them off with detail mist before applying the Zaino.

FYI swirl is usually caused by the cleaning process. Pretty much everything you touch to your paint- wax applicators, towels, sponges...- will leave swirl marks. Notable exception is MicroFiber. Often you won't see the swirl you are creating because it's "filled in" with the (conventional) product....until it evaps in a few days.

So, in answer to your question, if the swirl is bad you may want to polish it out (abrasively) first. If it's just light swirl, Zaino will "fill" it. Just make sure you used the proper applicator or you will make more as you are fixing it :banghead:

Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks......It does make sense. I like the idea of polishing out the swirls s opposed to filling them. Do you know a good polish for use on late model Caddy finishes? Also, where can I get it and where can I get a microfiber product to apply and remove it with?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've never used Zaino, but I have heard the more layers you do (24 hours apart) The better the finish gets. Personally I never had the time, but I can offer this product RejeX I used it on my 350Z and it's been holding strong for 4 months now, and Removing bugs and tar is as easy as washing it with soap and water. I'm not sure if it improves the shine, but it does protect the paint.

·
Registered
92 Posts
ScottM6193 said:
Thanks......It does make sense. I like the idea of polishing out the swirls s opposed to filling them. Do you know a good polish for use on late model Caddy finishes? Also, where can I get it and where can I get a microfiber product to apply and remove it with?
Glad I could be of help.

Pretty much every manufacturer has something with a little abrasion. Personally I use NuFinish or Ultra Finish, then I wash with Dawn to remove the product and make sure the swirl or offending mark is gone before applying Zaino. I'm sure Meguiars, Mothers... all have something along those lines. The caveat is that you are removing finish...remove too much and there's none left :tisk: The 2 particular products I named are fine abrasion so it takes longer, but less chance of going too far.

I haven't ordered from this place, but they seem to have alot of good info and variety: http://www.autogeek.net/mictow.html I've seen waffle-weave microfiber towels at Bed Bath for like $20, which I guess you could use in a pinch. Whatever applicator you use, make sure it stays clean as you're using it. I often use a few applicators, rotating them out when they lose their "knap" or build up sediment. That's what's grinding swirl into your paint :crying2:

·
Registered
43 Posts
ScottM6193 said:
Is Zaino good at getting out swirl marks? I have many on my car. Or, do you think a paint polish is the right way to go?
I have used Mcquire's (sp) swirl remover after the Dawn & Clay bar with good results. Zaino will remove swirlsb ut takes quite a few applications if your paint is really in bad shape. I'm still amazed how well Zaino stands up to rain mud, etc....

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Zaino is mail order stuff only!!!

·
Registered
94 Seville 2006 STS
149 Posts
Zaino has a web site but you can also get it from this guy. He is a distributor. I found him on this forum. Go here:www.hcvind.com Hope this helps.
Ralph
inmycadillac said:
Can u get Zaino anywhere? Wal-mart? I'm getting some ASAP its almost spring!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts