Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Cadillac Seville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my Seville started flooding out last year and the local mechanic couldn't diagnose the problem, I decided to do an EFI to carb. conversion.
I found a ten page manual posted on this website back in December of 2004 that was very helpful. At the Iola swap meet, an Edelbrock RPM
Performer intake was found along with an Edelbrock 146 carb.

It took me several weeks (I also have a business to run) and the mechanic finished up the A/C bracket modification (which sucks on this car)
and setting up the carb. and throttle bracket assembly. It is back on the road and running great!

All the old parts were saved, so if you need anything let me know! Not sure what if anything these parts are worth, but I won't be needing
them again.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Registered
Eldorado
446 Posts
Hope that works out for you. Guess you added a mechanical Olds fuel pump to the engine? As I remember the charcoal
canister needs an extra port for the carb vent. Did you put in a regular Old 5.7L HEI? The original had a rather special
ESS internal module and another component connected to it, you probably don't want now. The car should have more
power with the larger 4 barrel, though now a stock exhaust will be limiting it. Some of the after market intakes don't
allow for an AC compressor; one off an Olds would. Your original ECU and HEI/ESS could probably bring some $
on E+ay; so could the intake temp sensors if still good. I don't care for the 78-79 aluminum intake & smaller
throttle body, but the 8 injectors & fuel rail with pressure reg could be worth something. Bruce Roe

·
Registered
1979 Cadillac Seville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Olds 350 Rocket

----------

Thanks for the info. No extra fuel pump, it's just running off the in tank electric unit. I went with an Accel HEI distributor, only because the factory unit wouldn't clear the back of the new intake manifold. Power seems decent,
but I have to take it back to the mechanic so we can see if the transmission is getting enough vacuum--my shift points are way higher than before the conversion.
Chris.

06/21/15 Update--I rearranged some vacuum lines. Now the transmission shift modulator is running off the intake, and it shifts perfect! The problem with
the Edelbrock carb. is it doesn't have all the vacuum ports of the old throttle body. I noticed the HVAC system doesn't want to switch from other settings to defrost.
And the cruise control is lazy. Possibly these are vacuum-related as well? Another project for another day!

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
684 Posts
Is that a fuel pressure gauge on there? How much pressure does that stock pump put out? I went with the mechanical pump on my conversion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts