Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold the '86 Pontiac Safari wagon to another enthusiast, going to miss it!

I ended up buying a '93 Caprice Classic Wagon with every option including factory cd player, dual power seats, etc. etc.

Not sure if I like this one yet... going to drive it for a bit and might sell it for a WB4 Roadmaster wagon.

I got 28 mpg coming from Indianapolis to Chicago!

Here are a few pictures from when I bought it:

Here are a few pictures as of today, 9C1 wheels with 255/60/15s and some SS treatment. After all, it is Dark Green Grey!

It drives nice, but does not feel as solid as the '86 wagon. The 5.0 liter TBI is a great runner.

We will see how long this one lasts ;)...

Take care,
Elias

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Holy christ, 28 to the gallon! What's the interior like?

·
Registered
None yet!
1,025 Posts
Nice Shamu!
As I understand there was actually a 9C1 wagon... talk about a sleeper; reminds me of a story my dad tells of a guy he knew who ordered up an Impala wagon with all the options that would otherwise make up an Impala SS, but it just looked like a normal Impala station wagon... the guy put an "AMF" decal on it, and the car could back it up!

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It has the top of the line interior, very plush.

:thumbsup:

I think the older style boxy wagons were built better. These newer wagons have too much plastic that squeaks...

I will miss my Safari wagon.. it was so clean....

·
Registered
01 STS, 92 Roadmaster, 01 SLS-sold, 88 Brougham-crushed
1,392 Posts
I really like the looks of the '93 now that you have the 9C1 wheels and the Impala grill. Looks pretty awesome. What are the things that you liked better about the boxy besides the squeaking plastic?

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
The thing I always liked about the 91-93 Caprice Classics were the seats, especially the cloth ones. They just look so soft and comfortable! They definetly had the advantage over the 94-96's in that realm, but the 94-96's had a MUCH better dashboard/instrument panel design.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
I think the older style boxy wagons were built better. These newer wagons have too much plastic that squeaks...

I will miss my Safari wagon.. it was so clean....
Yes!! Though I'm still not a huge fan of the old box models, the Caprice and Roadmaster (at least the '91-93 models of the Buick, which later got much better) just had terrible hard yet flimsy plastic pieces all over inside that do nothing but warp, get looser, and squeak and creak constantly. Yet, at the same time, the Caprice and Roadmaster structures in my experience feel fairly stout. Case in point, my father's '92 Roadmaster feels and sounds like an absolute tank with inch thick steel rolling down the road despite 200k miles, only detracted from by those darn prototyp'ish door panels and such making sounds.

Contrary to the Fleetwood of the same 90's vintage (two here and others test driven and looked at...so...I sort of concluded they're all like this), had much better plastics and such inside that fit together better and were mostly quiet, but have a generally weaker and flimsier feel to the structure than the shorter models. Actually, it's not true, but that's just what it feels like, both from the feel of doors and body noises over bumps, and all the barn-built exterior trim. Despite lower miles, neither of ours has the same structural beefiness feel that the Buick seems to. But that's just me.

Still, great cars, just clearly from some of the bad years at GM as far as build quality and materials. Bring them into modern day, with similar simple mechanicals and performance, but "modern" GM high-end refinement and finish, and they'd be spectacular.

...oh, and I was WONDERING what happened to that pristine Pontiac! All of a sudden I saw the Caprice pop up in yours sigs and had a...:hmm:...moment. Now we know the story.

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i like the FWB better :)

Me too, which is why the Fleetwood stays protected in the garage while the wagon is driven through the jungle called Chicago!

Speaking of the Fleetwood, I got 2nd place in another show today!! :)

The old boxy wagon felt solid but was way underpowered and felt very archaic. The seats were hard unlike the '93 which has very comfortable seats.

I think the boxy wagon had a little more cargo room, but the '93 has the tailgate that swings or lays flat along with the flip up window.

Overall, the newer wagon fits my needs better and I won't have to deal with a carb'd car.

Take care!

-Elias :thumbsup:

·
Registered
01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!
1,815 Posts
My '93 C/C wagon seems to be fine too - there's a thread about it around 3 weeks back when I bought it.. Mine's white with with blue interior and the woody sides. My plastic interior pieces are all fine, with the exception of the right pillar piece at the tailgate - missing a screw so it's loose...guess I'll have to make a trip to Advance for some.

Miles? What did you pay for it? I got mine on eBay for $1625.

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yours looks good! I did not want a "woody" after my '86 wagon. I also jumped on this one because it is a Impala SS color ;)

After I sold the 20 inch wheels it came with... I got it for $1,300 dollars.

It was a 1 owner car and has 122,000 miles. New tranny at 80K miles. Mechanically it is perfect.

I just ordered a new set of Monroe shocks for it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
What's the plan with this one? Use it for a while or flip it for profit?

·
Registered
01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!
1,815 Posts
Nice looking car, Elias, BTW...you got yours for a D/D, I got mine for the occasional weekend Home Depot run, emergency 3rd car, etc etc..only put about 200 miles on it so far, in a month. I'm not looking to make much in the way of mods or anything, just keep it running as long as possible. I'd say we both got good deals.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
Congrats!
Now you have a hearse and a follow car :D

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congrats!
Now you have a hearse and a follow car :D
Actually I am still looking for a '96 Fleetwood Black Hearse.. trust me, if I find one for a reasonable price I am going to buy it and turn it into a Fleetwood Wagon!

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
Actually I am still looking for a '96 Fleetwood Black Hearse.. trust me, if I find one for a reasonable price I am going to buy it and turn it into a Fleetwood Wagon!
That sounds like a cool project! :thumbsup:
Imagine the cruize! :rolleyes:

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That sounds like a cool project! :thumbsup:
Imagine the cruize! :rolleyes:
The nice thing about the Fleetwood hearse is I could easily min tub the rear and fit a set of 17X13 inch wheels in the back... mmmm... one day!

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
I'd like to know what kind of mileage you guys get with the wagons. I'd like to replace my Aerostar with something more comfortable that will still tow my sailboat.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
Nice car , enjoy it

FWB rules the best !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd like to know what kind of mileage you guys get with the wagons. I'd like to replace my Aerostar with something more comfortable that will still tow my sailboat.
I am getting 17-18 in the city and got 28 mpg on the highway from Indy to Chicago (going 60-65 mph). :thumbsup: Then again, I have the 5.0 liter L03 motor in mine.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts