Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!

Now that I know how to post pictures on here, I was asked a week ago when I bought this car to post pictures of it and here they are!

1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance, Colonial Yellow #54 with matching top, gold pinstripes and Burnished Gold interior. 61k miles. Paid $4,500.

It's equipped with illuminated entry, visor vanity mirror, power passenger seat, wire wheel covers, cruise, defogger, twilight sentinel, guide-matic, delay wipers, power trunk/pull down, tilt/tele, right outside mirror, carpet mats, door edge guards, trumpet horn.

The car seems to have been used very irregularly over the years and had ancient Firestone 721's (G78-15 size!) so yesterday I replaced them with a new set of Firestone FR380 whitewalls.

Tomorrow the car is going to the mechanic for everything to make it completely road worthy - - shocks, springs, belts, hoses, exhaust, plugs, wires, filters, oil, lube, and whatever else looks questionable will be repaired or replaced. Hopefully the mechanic can get those darn trailer hitch bolts removed that were pictured in a previous posting.

Also, I am having fitted an electrochromic self dimming inside day/night mirror with compass and outside temp display plus built in Homelink garage door opener and map lights. I've put these in almost every car I've owned that didn't already have one and it's nice to have all the extra features in an older car. Here is a link: http://www.mitocorp.com/flash/homelinkautodimmingmirrors.htm

Then, this coming Friday, my two beagles and I will leave our summer place in Wisconsin for a nice relaxing road trip home to Florida where this big yellow Cad will fit in perfectly!

Happy motoring!

Dave

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
My gosh! if I am not seeing double, then I don't know whats going on!
I swear that is the sister car to mine.... Yours is Colonial Yellow, mine is Laramie Beige... the damn colors look so similar though.
We both have the d'Elegance interior, yours is Burnished Gold, mine is Ceder Red... the only real difference. My pin striping matched the interior, but when I had a door repainted, the guy put all new pin striping on (sides only, not trunk) because he coudln't paint it... so the current pin stripe is darker, but IMO looks better.
It's equipped with illuminated entry, visor vanity mirror, power passenger seat, wire wheel covers, cruise, defogger, twilight sentinel, guide-matic, delay wipers, power trunk/pull down, tilt/tele, right outside mirror, carpet mats, door edge guards, trumpet horn.
Of those mentioned, I do not have the power passenger seat, rear defogger, guide-matic (auto dimming headlights) and trumpet horn. Although I have the Opera lamps. My car origanally camed with AM/FM/8-track, but I put a similar year AM/FM/cassette in, so I can use a cassette adapter for the MP3 player and XM radio.

I also have aftermarket 15" spoked wheels on my car (we had them laying around) The car had 84,288 miles on it when I bought her back in May '04, now she has 91k. When I bought her, she needed some basic work, so I put some effort in to get her looking like she is now... little things still need to tbe done, the power antenna is broke, but I bought a NOS unit never used, so I gotta put that in. The 4 origanal floor mats are in the trunk, I bought a cheap set from Wal Mart (driver side was kinda torn) but for $300, I have no room to complain about the car....anywhere

BTW Sarasota, FL? How far is that form Tampa Bay? I just moved down here, and right now I have the '93 Coupe, but I am going back to NY for the '79... probably over Spring break but *MAYBE* over winter break.... that would be cool if we could meet up for the day!. BTW My car was a FL car, brought to NY in 2000 or so then I bought it in '04 and it'll be coming back down in '06
Anyway, enough rambling... lets unite these 2 sisters

BTW my car isn't very stock, the dash trim and some of the door trim is from an '85 Brougham (along with the radio) because I hated the old burl wood... This car is going to be home to a built 500, so it'll be a hot rod Caddy :)
BTW these were just the winter floor mats... yes I drove the car in the snow a few times

In the picture of the drivers door, I have since cleant he arm rest (kinda black int he pic) and that is a very old picture, so it now has the newer Brougham pattern.

Here is a semi-recent picture of the engine, I have since added a modified 472 intake manifold (no EGR), painted that, removed the volve covers, cleaned them up and painted them, also the carb is getting rebuilt... I am now in FL and my father is (still) finishing it up, so I never got to see how she runs

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Just for poops and giggles... here are a couple pictures of her the day after I brought her home. 3 different sized tires badly worn, lotsa stuff didn't work etc... The wheels were free, I spent $100 on new (literally) tires from a junkyard (all 4) and $260 to have the left rear door repainted as there was alot of surface rust and i hated it. She got a full tune up and some other stuff... so $300 for the car, *including* the tires and repainted door I have probably spent $700 over the last 2 years on making it look and run better.... so $1,000 invested all together (proabbly more then that in gas ) not too shabby

the night I got the car... fadded paint (rubbing compound works wonders ) dirty top (yey for white wall tire cleaner bleech stuff) and the rust on the door (got worse) The vinyl top has a couple decent size rips and alot of small cracks, but it is fine for the time being.

BTW this is how bad the door got.... it made the whole car look like crap, and was the main reason why I never cared all that much about it... I must say though, now, it has changed my way of thought These pics were taken a couple days before I brought it to the shop.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Rick!

Nice car! Love the red interior! It's fun to see these cars in the hands of people who love them!

Sarasota is about 45 miles south of Tampa so we're pretty close. Come and visit any time and you can see the '79 Cad and also my other pimpmobile, a red 1984 RR Silver Spirit.

Talk to you soon!

Dave

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
pfff, 45 miles is nothing! I am actually on the Clearwater/Largo boarder, not exactly Tampa... still close enough ;)

As it is now I only have the '93 Coupe... so I guess I should wait until I get the '79? unite the 2 :)

Wow, the Rolls must be nice! I have seen a couple of them on the roads down here, very nice cars.

Stick around on the forums so I can contact you in the future :)

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Rick!

I'll be here! Just left the '79 at the repair shop and picked up the '81 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe. The Coupe drives great for 236k miles!

Anyway, I'd say let's meet for cocktails except I realized you're 18!

Talk to you soon!

Dave

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
wow your guys's cars are so gorgeous now! Rick, you car looks excellent now, I've never seen the before pics. Your interiors look so comfortable with the thickly padded rich looking velour seats!

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Bro-Ham said:
Hi Rick!
I'll be here! Just left the '79 at the repair shop and picked up the '81 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe. The Coupe drives great for 236k miles!
Anyway, I'd say let's meet for cocktails except I realized you're 18!
Talk to you soon!
Dave
Wow you have a '81 Fleeto also? Coupe...nice. Is the V8-6-4 still working? if so I *HAVE* to witness that sometime, I have been intruiged by that engine since i heard about it... hell I even got some of the parts at the junkyard to do the swap! but it isn't a bolt on to the 425... but I have heard it is a bolt on to the Olds 455.... if I ever acquire an Olds with the 455... its going in.

Yup, 18 here, no cocktails :( I can get a Coca-Cola though :)

Hey, if you would ever like to see the '93 Coupe (in my signature) I wouldn't mind meeting up... I love driving :)

·
Registered
1974 fleetwood 75, 1980 sedan deville, 1970 eldo
319 Posts
both of the cars look great, but night wolf your car pisses me off...it looks 10 times better than any stock caddy just cuz of ur freakin wheels. I think I would stab someone for those wheels and whitewalls

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
sizanjdf said:
both of the cars look great, but night wolf your car pisses me off...it looks 10 times better than any stock caddy just cuz of ur freakin wheels. I think I would stab someone for those wheels and whitewalls
:) Thanks.

Like I said, they were literally laying under our rear porch, they came on my mothers '89 Brougham but they put steelies on... so for years they were there.

They are just 15" standard size wheels... after market definitly, made by "Appliance" who I never heard of before and don't think they are still in business.... the plastic center caps have a stock on crappy wreath and crest... all but 1 have fallen off though, when you look close at them there is some pitting and rust... but only up close... then again the whole car is a 10 footer, as there are alot of little defects like that.

the tires are regular 225/70/15 IIRC... I used to have 235/75 on, they were wider, actually made the car handle better (alot better) and only rubbed a slight when the wheel was turned to lock. These new tires are nothing special, 2 of them are Cooper, the other 2 I forgot... like I said in the junkyard I saw a sweet '94 Fleetwood (such a shame that car.... really) and the tires still had the stubs on them! 1 tire had a scre in it, so we plugged it and I still havn't got them balances, but there are no vibrations at all, though before the trip from NY to FL they are getting balanced.

to clean both the white walls and the wheels I use Turtle Wax F21 tire/wheel cleaner spray... spray it on, then I have a tire/wheel scrubber brush I just brush it all clean, then I use the pressure washer (at the car wash) to blast it all off... when I washed the car at home, a garden hose worked good too, but the pressure washer really gets it clean. I do the same thing to clean the white walls/wire hub caps on my Oldsmobile, and the black walls/16" alloy wheels on the '93 Coupe :)

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
lol, here is a video of a burn out... kinda cool to see spoked wheels and white walls in a burnout :) Of course this was with the old tires.... perhaps thats why the rear tires (especially the right one) there literally bald when I put the new ones on :) I have been easy (somewhat) with the new tires though.

I know it isn't the best burnout, and it did just get done raining, wasn't that long etc... but it was for a movie I made and I only needed about 2.5 seconds of burnout video.... still cool IMO :)

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/'79burnoout.wmv

ah hell... for the rest of the movies on the '79 just go to my website... probably be hard to go through, but you can kinda see what they are from the titles 228 which is 25mb long is just showing the fiber optic lamp monitoring system (someone once asked about it on another forum) so what better way then to take a video :)

http://inoventionseast.com/1979 DeVille/

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
BTW on a more performance note... it'll automatically shift into 2nd at 3,900RPM, that is around 53mph.

when left in drive, it'll shift into 3rd at 3,400RPM... around 80mph,

the redline on the 425 is around 4,200RPM

So it shifts early into 3rd.... if you actually wind 2nd out to 4,200RPM (kinda scary and loud) the car will reach its top speed of 110mph in 2nd gear.... GPS verified. although it'll reach 110 in 3rd also.

to show what I mean, watch "Caddy1-3drive" that is, just that 1st-3rd in drive, and watch the tach and speedo.

then watch "'79speedo" that is when I manually kept it in 2nd, notice by the time I shift into 3rd (at 4,000RPM) the speedo has long been buried?

I guess thats what I like about the 2.28 gears... the abality to accelerate so fast while the engine just slowly climbs in RPM.... all my friends back in high school found that so wierd because at 55, I am shifting into 2nd, and at 55 they were shifting into 4th (manual) :) plus the long wait of first gear with your passenger asking "ummmm.... is it going to shift?" lol... just imagine if the redline was around 5,500RPM... gosh we are talkin 75mph in 1st gear :)

BTW in the movies with sound, all the extra noise is from the 14" Edelbrock open element air filter only. the cat is drained, that helped a bit, and she has a full tune up, other then that, its a stock 91k mile, really ditry inside 425 :)

* "Caddy1stgear" is cool too.... the torque from the engine rocks the whole car so much, and that was only at 900RPM :)

disclaimer.... I do not beat on my cars, but I don't baby them, I do all the work on them myself and take excelent care of them.... but ya gotta open them up every once in a while :) hell I drive my '89 Oldsmobile with 131k miles hard alot.... they like it :)

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Night Wolf said:
Wow you have a '81 Fleeto also? Coupe...nice. Is the V8-6-4 still working? if so I *HAVE* to witness that sometime, I have been intruiged by that engine since i heard about it... hell I even got some of the parts at the junkyard to do the swap! but it isn't a bolt on to the 425... but I have heard it is a bolt on to the Olds 455.... if I ever acquire an Olds with the 455... its going in.

Yup, 18 here, no cocktails :( I can get a Coca-Cola though :)

Hey, if you would ever like to see the '93 Coupe (in my signature) I wouldn't mind meeting up... I love driving :)
Hello Rick!

Yes, it is a working V8-6-4! The car is not so bad for the age and miles. I will try to get some pictures taken today. The operation of the system is not great in my opinion since there is vibration when in 6 cylinder mode. The car will cruise fine on 4 cylinders although there is plenty of shifting around on hills which is annoying because of the 6 cyl mode. The car is awesome with all 8 cylinders and I wish I could remove all the 6-4 stuff. My advice is to not torture yourself with this ancient technology!

By the way, the Fleetwood Coupe will be staying in Wisconsin for the winter and going into storage sometime this week along with my other two non-Cad cars.

If the '79 gets me to Florida without trouble I'm planning to be in Sarasota by this Sunday. Of course I'd love to see your car so zip down any time!

Dave

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Wow, that is cool!

The V6/V4 feature can be disabled by cutting 1 wire underneath the car :)

Personally what I would do is cut that wire, then wire the 4 12v selonoids up to a simple on/off rocker switch that is mounted to the dash, so it is V8 all the time, but then on the highway when you have cruise control set, you can knock it down to V4 and get much better fuel mileage :) Being a car nut, this system has always intrested me.

cross country in the '79.... gosh, that is so cool, I am looking forward to making the NY-FL trip again, this time with the '79 :)

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts