Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2019 XT4 Sport, 2020 XT6 Sport
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a new STS V on Saturday from Atlantic Cadillac in Long Island, NY. Dealer swapped cars with another dealer and got it on Friday. Got the car home, figured I'd give it its first coat of was and thats where the fun began. As I'm waxing the passenger front door I notice that the chrome/black moulding under the window was sticky. I get some windex, get the stickiness off but I notice that the black part that should be gloss black is pitted and near flat black...as I am staring at this and beginning to fume I notice that the black pillar post has a stain embedded in it and will not polish out. I check the other side, both have marks or stains on them. As I continue to wax I notice the finish felt rough so I got the clay out and smoothed everything out. As I'm doing the left front fender I notice that the weatherstripping that is between the door and the fender is silver(color of car). I check the other side, its black. I open the door, so that I can access the rubber and as I grab it silver paint starts to flake off....overspray. Upon further inspection I have come to the conclusion that the left front fender and hood were resprayed. Finish is fine, matches perfectly, but it bothers me that it was repainted. I call the dealer up and describe what I am finding and he tells me to let his dealer prep guy look at it. Bring the car there, prep guy says that pillars and moulding on door need to be replaced and I have to go to service for them to order parts. Today I went to service to have them order the parts and ironically I got a call this afternoon from the dealer to ask how everything is with the car. I went nuts, telling them that this is the worst experience I have ever had in getting a new car, that I had to clay the whole thing, that mouldings and trim were defective and that they should have mentioned it to me when I picked it up and that they ordered replacements instead of the other way around. Woman apologizes and says she will speak to her general manager as soon as she hangs up.
She calls back 5 minutes later apologizing again and says the GM is offering me free detailing whenever I want! I told her thats what I did all weekend, there is nothing to detail now.
I just needed to vent. Dont know what else I can really do here. This is my third straight Cadillac lease, first with this dealer, and it really makes me wonder if I would do a fourth!

Other than these issues the car is magnificent.

·
Registered
146 Posts
In OHIO the law is that if a new car has damage over $300.00 it has to be disclosed to the customer. The dealer you purchased it from might not have known because it came on dlr. trade.. I would check you state law regarding prev. dmg.
I once had to have a Mazda RX7 R1-(we don't sell Mazda) same thing happend to me(dlr trade car with a ton of paint work) I ended up with a replacement car. The dealer I purchased it from did not know about the paint work, they had to go back on the dealer they received the trade from.

Good luck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt they knew about the paint work, as it looks like they really didnt do much to prep the car. I just found the window sticker shoved between the driver's seat and the console. It turns out that a different dealer not involved in this transaction originally took delivery of this car. They are now out of business and I guess the other Jersey dealer got ahold of it who, in turn, swapped it with Atlantic.

·
Registered
Owned 3 V's, now driving a Wrangler and XT5
2,574 Posts
Make them replace it. It's not the car they advertised to you. Push for this, it will work.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I were to ask for a replacement the problem will be that there are only 2 others STS V's available in the NY tristate area, both having the tango red interior which I do not want. Finding this car took awhile! I havent bitched to the dealer about the fender and hood being repainted yet. The repaint is fine,matches perfectly, but there are always signs where you can tell it was repainted, when you pop the hood and feel the inner edge of the fender it is rough while the right side is smooth, sort of behind the scenes stuff. If dealer prepped the car properly and I did not have to spend my entire weekend detailing and claying the car it wouldnt bother me as much. For the dealer to offer me free detailing anytime as a token of good faith is sort of insulting after I did the whole car!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I can tell you there is a black on black down here in Eastern PA. At least there was one a few weeks ago. Dealer trade maybe?

General Sales Company, West Chester PA.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Either they sold well or dealers kept as few on hand as possible. Dealer I got the car from had 2 2006's that he was selling (no lease) for 58K.

Spoke to the dealer about the repainted hood and l/f fender, he was shocked. Told him to contact the dealer he traded with to see if they know what happened.

Would a carfax report turn up anything on this car? If damage happens prior to being sold or leased does that get reported?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
No, carfax probably won't find anything since it hasn't even been titled yet.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Good luck with this. I feel for you. This is one of the reasons why I would never get a vehicle through a dealer trade unless I was present before the trade was made so I could inspect the car fully with a microscope.

I wish you the best.

SG

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Man Id get that pile replaced A S A P. I cant even stand repainted *USED* cars, it is my ULTIMATE pet peeve and everyone around hears me bitch about it constantly when I end up with a repainted car. It has to be a DAMN GOOD deal (as my Escalade was) and ONLY certain colors for me to even CONSIDER a drop of paint on my car.

It is absolutely not even within the realm of ACCEPTABILITY to have a NEW car with a repainted or ass sat in ANYTHING. It devalues the whole car and you always wonder what happened to it. I mean hell, your car isnt even a demo!! Ive heard horror stories about NEW cars that have paintwork, alot of times the damage was done in transit and the receiving dealer put in an insurance claim to get the work done at their body shop before it goes out for sale. Most unsuspecting customers never find out.

To put it in perspective, my 2003 Escalade was a theft recovery, and you have more square repainted footage than I do!!

Give me the VIN and Ill check it out for you, I have access to a vehicle history service and Im curious to see what comes up, even if it hasnt been titled yet.

·
Registered
07 CTS-V (Sold)...making room
108 Posts
Under no circumstances would i keep the car. Get a new car with no repaint.....flawless NEW. It would end up driving me crazy knowing that my brand new car was repainted. Personally, I don't want anyone messing with the original factory paint unless it's absolutely necessary and even then i go to the very best body shop in town. I had some paintwork done on my 06 Audi S4 and i took to a shop in LA that only do Porsches, Lambos and Ferraris. Their paint jobs are the best I've ever seen. They do all my cars. I have a Cayenne Turbo so they bend the rules for me. Take it back dude. :rant2:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its not that the repainted hood and fender look bad, its a very good match. If it wasnt for the overspray I had found I probably would not have known that anything was repainted. GM Caddy rep from customer service on their website contacted me and said that I had to contact the dealer that traded with my dealer to see what they can do. I really dont expect that dealer to do anything. He said that the car left the factory intact and therefore it is not a GM issue, but a dealer issue. I told them that the dealer is an agent for GM and that GM was ultimately liable. Dont really think this is going to get anywhere.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Keep us posted. You can not and SHOULD not be expected to keep that car. Moreover, when it gets put back out for sale a disclosure needs to go along with it which Im sure they want to avoid because it will get discounted steeply.

The dealer who traded for the car may not be responsible, but they at the very least need to aide you in dealing with the other dealership.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
If I were to ask for a replacement the problem will be that there are only 2 others STS V's available in the NY tristate area, both having the tango red interior which I do not want. Finding this car took awhile! I havent bitched to the dealer about the fender and hood being repainted yet. The repaint is fine,matches perfectly, but there are always signs where you can tell it was repainted, when you pop the hood and feel the inner edge of the fender it is rough while the right side is smooth, sort of behind the scenes stuff. If dealer prepped the car properly and I did not have to spend my entire weekend detailing and claying the car it wouldnt bother me as much. For the dealer to offer me free detailing anytime as a token of good faith is sort of insulting after I did the whole car!
When you return the car at the end of the lease, either the dealer will inspect the car, or GM will contract with a third party to inspect it. Those inspections take about 45 min, and the inspector will take a picture of everything.

He/she will not the non-factory paint. And charge you to paint it again. If the windshield was replaced with a non-GM glass, you will have to pay again. This kind of inspection is integral with a high end car.

If the car was a Taurus or Impala, I would not worry.

You need to politely negotiate for a new car, or you will pay the price--literally at the end of lease. When you look for orig saleman or mgr, those people will be long gone.

Don't roll over. Don't beat them up. Don't accept a note from dealer stating that car was partially repainted. People at dealership level have not authority to override finance company inspection rules.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I want to thank all of you for your opinions and help. I will communicate once again with my dealer and attempt to come up with some resolution.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts