Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 08 Light Platinum SRX V8, 05 White Diamond STS4 V8 1SG
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a little sad that most of these threads are about issues (admittedly this isn't an enthusiast vehicle as much as it is a luxury/utility vehicle), so I thought I'd post something positive.

Pics (some are mine, some are from the dealer ad before they took it down): http://1drv.ms/1OYucVQ

Specs:
2008 SRX V8, Ultraview Plus, 3rd row, tow pack, 20's/sport package, navigation, rear seat entertainment, rear air - every option actually, aside from an extra cost color (F55 MR shocks not available w/ 20" wheel package)
Light Platinum over Ebony, w/ Burled Walnut

The point of this vehicle was to replace my wife's aging 2000 Chevy Malibu. She's had that thing since 2001 or so and it was getting kind of crusty, especially for driving around with our 3 year old son.

We've been contemplating a replacement vehicle for her, for well over a year, starting with something humble like a Malibu Maxx. Somehow, she never test drove a single car in all that time. Until last weekend.

I pass by this dealer everyday on my commute and sometimes they have interesting vehicles. This time, the following vehicles caught my eye:
2009 HHR SS (don't wince)
2010 CTS wagon
2008 SRX V8

The HHR SS was actually really awesome to drive, but not roomy enough.

The CTS wagon drove awesome. It had the sport package and I think the FE3 suspension, but was RWD and had no extra options. It was also too small for us, but we did really love the way it drove. The salesman let me take both the CTS wagon (last Friday) and SRX (last Saturday) home to my wife, so we could check it out with the child seat and all of that. This was not a Cadillac dealer, btw. They used to be a Nissan/Volvo shop (and owned a big GM dealer down the road) but they're just an independent used car dealer now (times have been tough for dealers).

The SRX really seemed to meet all of our space requirements, was cheaper than the CTS wagon, and I'll be damned if I'm not a sucker for that sport package (wheels, front/rear fasias and apparently the posi diff). I also liked that it was an 08 as it has the most updated interior of all of the years (I assume 09 is the same).

I actually helped my brother in law buy a 2004 SRX about 4 years ago for his wife so I was somewhat familiar with these. I also have a 2005 CTS-V and I know the SRX is built on Sigma, which is cool.

Driving impressions:
It seems to drive like a luxury car. Silky and powerful engine, very smooth ride, comfortable, almost a little boaty in a straight line. But surprisingly athletic in the bends. Very pleasant to steer and to my surprise, there is zero tramline from the steamroller 255/50-20 Goodyear Eagle RS-As (all around). The brake feel is soggy to me but I believe feels like most modern (non-high performance) cars. I will have to get around to some maintenance, including a brake flush.

I love all of the options/toys. Even with the updated interior/nav in 2008, I'm a little surprised there is no bluetooth or backup camera.

Issues noted (during test drive or after delivery):
- 3 out of the 4 dash vents are broken, as seems to be fairly common. I'll have to get to that someday, though it doesn't seem like that big of a hindrance since you can kinda still move the louvers around.
- The ashtray was loose and I managed to put it back in its track while I had the vehicle during the test drive. But it's oddly missing the wood applique piece. Purely cosmetic but it does bug me.
- The third row made a terrible grinding sound when the seat bottom was moving in its track
- Ultraview hopping/reversal on closure
- Rear wiper arm pivot seized up so there was no spring pressure on the blade
- Burned out marker lamp in the driver's side headlight assembly
- Hatch struts getting a little weak but not totally shot
- Engine cover missing
- Mystery wire patch that seems to go to one of the cam phasers. It looks like a GM splice connector but the wire is just laying across the throttle body, not in loom

Some of these I didn't notice until I took the vehicle home but used the ones I did know to negotiate as best I could. I got it for $14,500, which I think is fair but not stellar (between Edmunds private and dealer retail seems fair, which it is).

I have already fixed the following:
- Greased the Ultraview track and tightened the two front hinge bolts (they were loose)
- After much greasing of the track, I realized the noisy 3rd row issue was actually in the cables coming out of the motor. I took that apart and lubed the cables up with white lithium and it sounds like brand new.
- Same white lithium fix on the rear wiper arm (moves and has spring tension again)
- Ordered new hatch struts
- Got the dealer to replace the burnt out marker lamp (didn't feel like removing the headlamp assembly)

I really like this vehicle. It solves the issue of me not wanting to drive my wife's car if we go somewhere on the weekend. Hopefully we can make the 20mpg highway it is rated for.

I'm still trying to track down the service history. I know it was an NH car, then a MA car and the third owner got it as a CPO. I know it won't be as easy/cheap to own and maintain as the Malibu, but I hope it doesn't turn into a big PITA (I do all my own work).

We were not planning on buying a vehicle last weekend but a combination of her still needing a new car, the salesman letting me take it home for her to look at and drive around town, and the look of the sport package put me over the edge, I guess.

Any tips on an updated map DVD, the ashtray applique or the broken vents? I guess I should replace the engine cover, too.

Oh, this is technically my third Cadillac. 95 Fleetwood from 2008-2010 (miss that car), my 05 CTS-V from 2010 to present, and now this. So far they have served me well.

----------

Build sheet, courtesy of Brandon M., Cadillac CSR:
Vehicle Build
Model: 6ED26-2008 CADILLAC SRX V8 Order Number: MNPTW0
Gross Vehicle Weight: 2,728 kg Build Date: 02/14/2008
Build Plant: 0

Option Codes
*IVH is not the definitive source of GM Vehicle RPO information and is intended for service reference only. Should there be any questions about the vehicle's original build or RPO information please refer to the original vehicle invoice or window sticker.

A45 - MULTI-DRIVER MEMORY SETTINGS
AH8 - 8-WAY POWER PASSENGER SEAT (REPLACES STD/OPT ADJUSTER)
AL0 - SENSOR INDICATOR INFLATABLE RESTRAINT, FRT PASS/CHILD PRESENCE DETECTOR
AL2 - POWER ADJUSTABLE LUMBAR
AM0 - THIRD ROW POWER SEAT (REPLACES RECONFIGURABLE STORAGE)
AQ9 - LUXURY FRONT BUCKET SEATS
AT8 - RESTRAINT PROVISIONS CHILD, RR SEAT, RR FACING
AY0 - DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER FRONT SIDE IMPACT AIR BAGS, FRONT TO 2ND ROW HEAD CURTAIN SIDE IMPACT AIR BAGS
B19 - BURLED WALNUT WOOD TRIM
B20 - WOOD ACCENTED STEERING WHEEL AND SHIFT KNOB
B70 - DOOR SILL PLATE COVER
BTV - ADAPTIVE REMOTE VEHICLE START
C3B - ULTRAVIEW PLUS SUNROOF
C4R - GVW RATING 6, 008 LBS
C57 - REAR AIR CONDITIONING
CE4 - WASHER HEADLAMP, HIGH PRESSURE
CJ2 - DUAL ZONE CLIMATE CONTROL
DCP - ONSTAR DIRECTIONS AND CONNECTIONS 1 YR FACTORY PACKAGE
DR2 - AUTO DIMMING OSRV DRIVER MIRROR
FE1 - 4-WHEEL INDEPENDENT SUSPENSION
G80 - LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL
GU5 - AXLE REAR 3.23 RATIO
IL2 - TRIM INTERIOR DESIGN
JE2 - BRAKE LINING PERF DRIVING
JE5 - POWER ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM
JF4 - POWER ADJUST PEDALS
JJB - PT DRESS SUBASSEMBLY NOT INSTALLED
JJD - I/P DRESS SUBASSEMBLY NOT INSTALLED
JJL - SUSPENSION FRONT NOT INSTALLED
JJM - SUSPENSION REAR NOT INSTALLED
K05 - ENGINE BLOCK HEATER
KA1 - HEATED FRONT SEATS
KG4 - 150 AMP GENERATOR
LH2 - 4.6L V8 VVT SFI ENGINE
MX7 - ALL WHEEL DRIVE
MYB - TRANSMISSION, 6-SPD AUTOMATIC
N31 - STEERING WHEEL, HEATED
NC7 - FEDERAL EMISSIONS OVERRIDE
NDB - EXHAUST DUAL, ROUND CHROME
NE1 - 50-STATE EMISSIONS NU1 - EMISSION - CALIFORNIA
PDU - V8 ULTRA LUXURY COLLECTION
* ULTRAVIEW SUNROOF
* REAR AIR CONDITIONING
* WOOD ACCENTED STEERING WHEEL AND SHIFT KNOB
* POWER ADJUST PEDALS
* BOSE 5.1 CABIN SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM, MP3 FORMAT, CD/DVD PLAYER, DVD NAVIGATION SYSTEM (REPLACES STD/OPT RADIO AND DELETES COMPASS FROM INSIDE REARVIEW MIRROR) PDW - V8 ULTRA LUXURY COLLECTION
QUB - P255/50R20 RS TIRES
QW3 - 20" POLISHED ALUMINUM WHEELS
R1T - 20" TIRE/WHEEL SPORT PACKAGE
* DOOR SILL PLATE COVER * SPORT GRILLE
* 20" ALUMINUM POLISHED WHEELS * FRONT/REAR FASCIAS
R6G - MID YEAR CONFIGURATIONS
R9N - PROCESSING CODE - SEAT
SLM - STOCK ORDERS
TB5 - LIFTGATE, POWER, REAR TL4 - SPORT GRILLE
TT6 - HID HEADLAMPS W/WASHERS & TWILIGHT SENTINEL AUTO CNTL
U2K - XM SATELLITE RADIO - SERVICE FEE EXTRA.1ST 3 MONTHS INCL.
U2V - BOSE 5.1 CABIN SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM, MP3 FORMAT, CD/DVD PLAYER, DVD NAVIGATION SYSTEM (REPLACES STD/OPT RADIO AND DELETES COMPASS FROM INSIDE REARVIEW MIRROR)
U30 - CLUSTER INST, TACH, CLOCK
U42 - REAR SEAT ENTERTAINMENT
UE1 - 1 YR ONSTAR DIRECTIONS W/TURN- -BY-TURN NAVIGATION (ASK DEALER ABOUT GEOGRAPHIC COVERAGE)
UG1 - UNIVERSAL HOME REMOTE
UJ6 - TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR
UQS - SOUND SYSTEM
V08 - HEAVY DUTY COOLING SYSTEM
V12 - PWR STEERING COOLING SYS FLUID
V4V - SRX V8 MODEL CONVERSION
V55 - CHROME ROOF RAILS
V73 - VEHICLE STATEMENT
V92 - TRAILERING EQUIPMENT
VD9 - FASCIAS
VH9 - ENVELOPE OWNER INFO MAN
VK3 - LICENSE PLATE FRT MOUNTING PKG
VT7 - OWNERS MANUAL ENGLISH LANGUAGE
Y40 - LUXURY PACKAGE
* RECONFIGURABLE STORAGE
* UNIVERSAL HOME REMOTE
* SAPELE POMMELE WOOD TRIM
* AM/FM STEREO, W/6 DISC CD CHANGER, BOSE SPEAKER SYSTEM (REPLACES SINGLE DISC CD)
Y42 - DRIVER'S PACKAGE
* DIFFERENTIAL, LIMITED SLIP (NOT AVAILABLE WITH ALL-WHEEL DRIVE AND 18" WHEELS)
* 18" MACHINE FINISHED WHEELS
* HEADLAMPS, HIGH INTENSITY DISCHARGE WITH WASHERS
Y44 - PREMIUM SEATING PACKAGE
* HEATED FRONT SEATS
* POWER LUMBAR, FRONT
* PWR SEAT ADJUST-FRONT PASSENGER, 8 WAY
* POWER DRIVER OUTSIDE MIRROR, AUTO DIMMING
* MULTI-DRIVER MEMORY SETTINGS
* HEATED STEERING WHEEL
Y45 - UTILITY PACKAGE
* THIRD ROW POWER SEAT (REPLACES RECONFIGURABLE STORAGE)
* TRAILERING EQUIPMENT
* REAR AIR CONDITIONING
* HEAVY DUTY COOLING SYSTEM
* POWER STEERING FLUID COOLER
Y46 - THEATER PACKAGE
* REAR SEAT ENTERTAINMENT DISPLAY
* BOSE 5.1 CABIN SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM, MP3 FORMAT, CD/DVD PLAYER, DVD NAVIGATION SYSTEM (REPLACES STD/OPT RADIO AND DELETES COMPASS FROM INSIDE REARVIEW MIRROR)
YB6 - AXLE(BASE EQUIP) PROCESSING OPT
YD5 - SPRING FRT BASE EQUIP, PROC OPT
YD6 - SPRING RR, BASE EQUIP, PROC OPT
192 - EBONY W/EBONY ACCENTS
19I - INTERIOR TRIM EBONY
1SB - SRX-V8 STANDARD PACKAGE
1SZ - PREFERRED EQUIPMENT SAVINGS
67U - LIGHT PLATINUM
6NC - COMPONENT FRT LH COMP SEL SUSP
7NC - COMPONENT FRT RH COMP SEL SUSP
8XZ - COMPONENT RR LH COMP SEL SUSP
9XZ - COMPONENT RR RH COMP SEL SUSP

·
Registered
06 v6 SRX
491 Posts
The engine cover is setting under or behind the last tech's workbench or tool box. Sounds like a trip to a salvage yard is needed .

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention that I checked the jack compartment after a rain and it was dry, but I've seen the thread so I think I need more data. It could depend on the slope on which the car is parked...

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.
438 Posts
Sounds like a lot of stuff wrong with the car as it was sitting on the lot. Did your dealer "Safety Check" this thing before you test drove it?
Things like burned out bulbs wav a red flag to me.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was just one burnt out bulb and they probably just missed it. It did get safety checked, yes. I inspect my prospective used cars as if they were new cars, so I have high standards, which always annoys used car salesmen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts