Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a wheelskins cover (got it on eBay), and a woodgrain shifter with metal button. The shifter required quite a bit of modification to work, and the cover took almost an hour to stitch into place. The end result is near-OEM, or better because it increases the thickness of the wheel, and is quite pleasing to the touch (nice quality leather).

The wood strip on the passenger side, was replaced because it had a few hairline cracks.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
Nice wallpaper on your cell phone. Color match on the steering wheel is excellent. What year is your eldo?

·
Registered
2004 Escalade, 07 Road King, 08 Challenger SRT8
712 Posts
I love the steering wheel & the shift knob....

May I ask who made the shift knob, and how hard was it to get it to fit???:xsmile:

Very nice.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shift knob is to a Buick LaCrosse, I believe. I had to grind the interior so that it could fit far enough that the button would engage the mechanism.

I also had to shorten the neck (the chrome at the bottom).

It's a 98 ETC with 85K.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Seville STS
535 Posts
Maaayn eff the cover, where'd you get the shifter!?!?! I've been looking everywhere for one, that thing is beautiful!!

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SL1CK said:
Maaayn eff the cover, where'd you get the shifter!?!?! I've been looking everywhere for one, that thing is beautiful!!
I got it from a Cadillac dealer parts dept (any GM parts counter should be able to order it for you). It is for a Buick LaCrosse (called the "shift handle.") It retails for ~$100. I thought it would be a direct fit, but I actually had to open the inside with a Dremel so that the stalk could go all the way in to mate with the button mechanism (it was narrower at the top).

Not only that, but the chrome collar on that thing was too long as well, so I had to cautiously grind it down with a Dremel as well (probably close to an inch).

It does not feel substantial because it's hollow (the button mechanism is in there, chrome button on the front), but it sure does look nice. I like the look especially on an ETC or pre 98STS (as you may know they have the wood trim around the shifter/on the ashtray where as the base Eldo and SLS didn't).

While modifying it I was thinking "damn, I just ruined $80," but luckily it worked out fine in the end.

·
Registered
2004 Escalade, 07 Road King, 08 Challenger SRT8
712 Posts
Thanks mtflight... that is sharp.

Nice job. I may consider that myself...

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stitch it in tight. Be patient and thorough because once it's on--it's a keeper. The middle seam is a little off on mine (not perfectly center), for not being careful.

·
Registered
327 Posts
mtflight said:
This is a wheelskins cover (got it on eBay), and a woodgrain shifter with metal button. The shifter required quite a bit of modification to work, and the cover took almost an hour to stitch into place. The end result is near-OEM, or better because it increases the thickness of the wheel, and is quite pleasing to the touch (nice quality leather).

The wood strip on the passenger side, was replaced because it had a few hairline cracks.
I highly recommend this upgrade. I did it over the weekend and it looks GREAT!!! I was blown away by the results. It took me about an hour and a half. I took my time with it because I didn't want it to come out sloppy. I'm very pleased. In total, it cost me (on eBay) 24.98 + 9.00 for shipping. Not bad at all!

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I highly recommend this upgrade. I did it over the weekend and it looks GREAT!!! I was blown away by the results. It took me about an hour and a half. I took my time with it because I didn't want it to come out sloppy. I'm very pleased. In total, it cost me (on eBay) 24.98 + 9.00 for shipping. Not bad at all!
I was wondering what took so long :confused: . I'm very pleased with my steering wheel cover and how it doesn't really look like a cover--looks like it's part of the steering wheel itself.

So much better than most tacky steering wheel covers--especially those vinyl ones that just slide on--or the ones with fake wood print, or knubs in my opinion.

So how was that color match?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts