Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Harvey Blankenship and I just purchased my 87 Allante Sept. 6th. As with other specialty cars I have owned in the past I realize that the smartest move a new owner of one of these classic's is to get into a Forum if you ever want to fix something on your car or need a part, so here I am. Thankyou everyone.

·
...Reloaded
'05 XLR
1,698 Posts
Permission granted - Welcome to the CadillacForums! We have some knowledgeable Allante owners here so you're in good shape. Tell us a little more about your Caddy - color, condition, mileage... Any pictures?

Thanks for registering.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the Sandman said:
Permission granted - Welcome to the CadillacForums! We have some knowledgeable Allante owners here so you're in good shape. Tell us a little more about your Caddy - color, condition, mileage... Any pictures?

Thanks for registering.
Hello Sandman,

I am really IMPRESSED!! A GMC SYCLONE, WOW!! Anyway, I have a 1987, Silver with the Polished wheels and both tops. The car looked so good inside and out that when the owner told me that everything worked except the tape player I beleived him. While driving the car home 130 miles the car kept wanting to change lane's (by itself!) Come to find out both of the lower ball joint's were toast and beleive me when you change those lower ball joints the first time it's a real pain because they are riveted in, the new kit comes with bolts and lock washer's so that in the future it is not quite as much of a job. Also the cruise, Horn, A/C, 6 out of the 8 pwr. seat controls on the driver's side do not work, the passenger's window doe's not work and the idle control mtr doe's not work. So far I have fixed the horn and cruise and of course the ball joints. I need to replace the map light assembly as it appears that the previous owner got fed up with the visors not staying up and got a tad bit rough with them and I need to replace the drivers side taillight because it is broken. I have been watching ebay for both of these parts and no luck. I refuse to pay $400.00 for the map light assembly and I have only seen the passenger side taillight so far. The problem with the horn and cruise was in the steering column where a plastic clip was broke off of the cancel cam.
But other than this I love the car, I have wanted an Allante since I retired from the military. I will get these other item's fixed if I can ever locate them for a reasonable price (any ideas?) I do not have any picture's yet but I will get some soon.
OK, I feel a lot better now that I have gotten all that off of my mind. Also Sandman do you have any cure's for the sunvisors that refuse to stay up where they belong? Is there an adjustment where you can tighten them up? I would appreciate any help that I can get from all the expert's out there.

Thanks,
Harvey

·
Registered
8 Posts
Where are the horns???

Harvey - I have worked through many of the problems you describe, on my 1991 Allante. The door switches suffer from getting wet if the top is down and it rains. Disassembly and a good cleaning usually fixes them. A little tricky getting the switch assembly back into the door, be careful not to bust the plastic. Also the switch can pop out of the electrical socket from pressure when tightening it all down.

The visor lights are broken in many Allantes because they can get slammed by the top if they are 'flipped' when you pull the top up. I didn't want to pay for new ones either, so I built a frame from hobby plastic sheet and glued the original light parts to it. It bolted in cleanly and is invisible, has worked for 3 years so far...

I recently had the horns go out. The horn relay works fine so it is between the relay and the horn. But I cannot find the horns anywhere!! Thought they would be in front of the radiator, or somewhere up front, but noooo. I tried to trace the wiring from the relay but it goes into a huge harness.

Can you tell me where to find the horns? Any hints appreciated.

Regards - jim boak

·
Banned
1993 Triple Black Allante
701 Posts
Welcome fellow Allante owners. I can help you with some of your concerns. Membership in the AAG (AAllante Appreciation Group) would worth the price of membership just in contacts for Allante parts and advice. I am active there and here and would be glad to help you with you quest for information. Give there site a look see and as I mentioned before, the membership pays for itself just in information and contacts. Give these links a look see and see for yourself. The Allante section here is still in growing pains, but I'm around to help any way I can. Lets see some pictures of your Allantes in the picture gallery.

http://66.34.30.72/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

I think Chris Kucia's site has the most links for Allante related items.
http://my.core.com/~ckucia/

http://allante.com/home.html

http://www.allantestore.com/page_display_home.asp?page=1

Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts