Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Performance Shock Absorber Package poll for those that have a CTS-V

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Interested in everyone's take on the Performance Shock Absorber Package. For those of you that got it, was it worth it? Is it too harsh? Is it overkill and not needed, or would you do it again? For those of you that didn't get it, do you wish you did, or are the regular shocks fine, etc.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Since you say the regular FG2, I'm going to assume the stock suspension even though that's not what it's called. The FG2 IS the Performance Shock. That is, inless you're talking about the adjustable QA1? Or the Mallet/Penske coilover?

If you are talking about FG2, I would recommend it if you know how to drive and take the V past 9/10ths. Otherwise, I think you'll be fine. Or if you've ever had in your mind you want a nice riding, all-season tire, don't bother.

·
Registered
2005 Platinum/Ebony CTS-V
12 Posts
Kinda funny...when I was looking for a car, I was checking out all the usuals; BMW, Infiniti, Acura, etc. I knew about the V, but thought for sure it was out of my price range. Well a friend at the Caddy store called and told me about the killer smartbuy they had going on at the time and I could get a V for the same payment as the other, lesser cars I was looking at. I said I WANT IT!!! Well they didn't have the color combo I wanted (platinum/ebony), so they located one for me. I remember the salesperson calling me and saying, "I'm sorry but the only one we could find has the performance shock package on it, so we won't charge you for it." I figured oh well, get it anyway. Hahaha...little did I know I would have been p*ssed had I got one without. Lucky me I guess. :shhh:

·
Registered
Owned 3 V's, now driving a Wrangler and XT5
2,574 Posts
RScanTX said:
Kinda funny...when I was looking for a car, I was checking out all the usuals; BMW, Infiniti, Acura, etc. I knew about the V, but thought for sure it was out of my price range. Well a friend at the Caddy store called and told me about the killer smartbuy they had going on at the time and I could get a V for the same payment as the other, lesser cars I was looking at. I said I WANT IT!!! Well they didn't have the color combo I wanted (platinum/ebony), so they located one for me. I remember the salesperson calling me and saying, "I'm sorry but the only one we could find has the performance shock package on it, so we won't charge you for it." I figured oh well, get it anyway. Hahaha...little did I know I would have been p*ssed had I got one without. Lucky me I guess. :shhh:
Ok..........so why is it so great and does it change the ride much?

I was just about to post this :highfive:

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
If want wanted to "stiffen" up the suspension (i.e. less body roll), what is the "generally accepted" best way?

Anti-roll bar?
FG2 shocks?
Dreamin's mod??

I desire to tighten mine up further, but I'm not sure which one to investigate, so I'm hoping you handling freaks can chime in here.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
160 Posts
I don't know about the rest of these guys but I just put the Hotchkiss bars on my car and am extremely happy with them. The rear bar even helped reduce wheelhop a little.... not sure why but I'm certain it did.

The car handles much flatter and has better turn-in. It feels like it's on rails and really makes the tires work harder. I'm not sure I'd like performance springs on this car...the ones on it are already pretty firm. I suppose shocks could make a big difference but can also make the ride choppier. I love the swaybars...no degradation in ride quality but a huge handling improvement.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
VDiddy said:
I don't know about the rest of these guys but I just put the Hotchkiss bars on my car and am extremely happy with them. The rear bar even helped reduce wheelhop a little.... not sure why but I'm certain it did.

The car handles much flatter and has better turn-in. It feels like it's on rails and really makes the tires work harder. I'm not sure I'd like performance springs on this car...the ones on it are already pretty firm. I suppose shocks could make a big difference but can also make the ride choppier. I love the swaybars...no degradation in ride quality but a huge handling improvement.
Great feedback. I think I might take a serious look at those bars... :thumbsup:

No other thoughts out there?

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
2,271 Posts
Luna. said:
If want wanted to "stiffen" up the suspension (i.e. less body roll), what is the "generally accepted" best way?
Anti-roll bar?
FG2 shocks?
Dreamin's mod??
Luna, what exactly do you want to 'stiffen' up?

Anti-rollbars will reduce the car from leaning on high-G turns and stop the side-to-side sway when on rough pavement / leaving a drive-way. These wont hurt ride quality much.

Stiffer springs will stiffen up the ride all-around...you'll feel rough-pavement, potholes, etc. much more, but the slight 'floatiness' of the car will be reduced, less drive dive, etc.

FG2 shocks will also stiffen up the ride all-around...

Before I post a Suspension Tuning 101 novel... Post exactly what you want to 'fix'... and we can answer further...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good feedback so far, thanks guys! There is a 2006 2006 CTS-V that is Black on Black, and within driving distance, couple hundred miles. However, it doesnt have the FG2 performance shock absorber package, so I appreciate all the feedback so far!

Thanks, keep em coming!

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Dreamin said:
Luna, what exactly do you want to 'stiffen' up?

Anti-rollbars will reduce the car from leaning on high-G turns and stop the side-to-side sway when on rough pavement / leaving a drive-way. These wont hurt ride quality much.

Stiffer springs will stiffen up the ride all-around...you'll feel rough-pavement, potholes, etc. much more, but the slight 'floatiness' of the car will be reduced, less drive dive, etc.

FG2 shocks will also stiffen up the ride all-around...

Before I post a Suspension Tuning 101 novel... Post exactly what you want to 'fix'... and we can answer further...
I knew Dreamin was the man...:)

I want even less body roll, so I believe that is an anti-roll bar kit, but I think the FG2 shocks might also play a role in that.

I'm seriously considering the Hotchkis bar kit, but I just haven't had the time to do a lot of research on these, or alternatives.

And yes, I'm aware of an FG2 search...what, are you kidding me? I didn't really want to read for the next 4 hours... :)

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Luna. said:

Anti-roll bar?
FG2 shocks?
Dreamin's mod??

I desire to tighten mine up further, but I'm not sure which one to investigate, so I'm hoping you handling freaks can chime in here.
Luna,
The bars and GC Kit (dreamin's mod) are relatively new, so there's no real "accepted" way of tightening the V;however, the Hotchkis bars are receiving rave reviews and I can't really see a negative for them.
I ran the stock shocks while my dealer waited for the FG2s to arrive and had them switched out in one week. The difference is very apparent; the damping on the shocks are much stiffer, meaning they don't float like the stockers did...much tighter transitions and slightly harsher hits on bumps-not what I'd call too much but more than the stockers. The handling is much improved with the FG2s, so the very-slight ride difference is non-existant to me. I do feel that the FG2s could use a stiffer spring to better compliment the increased damping, so the Ground Control Coilover kit should be a fantastic addition to FG2s. For the money alone, say 1500 total, it's a great option. Add the Hots bars to the party, say 1850-1900 total with shipping, and you've got yourself a real corner carver, not a vehicle for the meek or hemorroid-cursed luxo-barge floater, but a vehicle that should handle every bit as well as it goes and stops.

I'm fiending for the GC kit and Hots bars....
-ace

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
ace996 said:
Luna,
The bars and GC Kit (dreamin's mod) are relatively new, so there's no real "accepted" way of tightening the V;however, the Hotchkis bars are receiving rave reviews and I can't really see a negative for them.
I ran the stock shocks while my dealer waited for the FG2s to arrive and had them switched out in one week. The difference is very apparent; the damping on the shocks are much stiffer, meaning they don't float like the stockers did...much tighter transitions and slightly harsher hits on bumps-not what I'd call too much but more than the stockers. The handling is much improved with the FG2s, so the very-slight ride difference is non-existant to me. I do feel that the FG2s could use a stiffer spring to better compliment the increased damping, so the Ground Control Coilover kit should be a fantastic addition to FG2s. For the money alone, say 1500 total, it's a great option. Add the Hots bars to the party, say 1850-1900 total with shipping, and you've got yourself a real corner carver, not a vehicle for the meek or hemorroid-cursed luxo-barge floater, but a vehicle that should handle every bit as well as it goes and stops.

I'm fiending for the GC kit and Hots bars....
-ace
Excellent feedback.

Thanks much.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
2,271 Posts
Luna, sounds like your noticing the body lean the most... you should do the Hotkis bars first... these wont hurt the ride and will reduce the lean.

If that's not tight enough... then do FG2 shocks or springs (GC kit).

The suspension mods can be done in stages and build on each other... no need to buy 'everything in the catalog' upfront.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts