Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
ATS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, so I have been reading on our motors the LTG and I am seeing that the block is basically the same as a cobalt. The on difference I read was the motor is a 2 pounds more in the cobalt due to a sold block and slightly change in compression.

So with this being said. I know we are rwd drive and the cobalt is FWD.

Shouldn't the turbo headers for a cobalt fit up to the block of the ats? In theory the exhaust manifold should be the same.

I am thinking about stoping by a salvage yard and getting some measurements on the cobalt manifold and the ats.

I am also noticing the odd turbo flange we use is the same on the cobalt. With this being said. I am seeing the adaptor from our manifold to t3 being easier to modify.

Meaning we can open up a huge list of turbos we can upgrade to...

Input?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
none
148 Posts
I've been waiting for someone to do this. Even the k04r which is a rebuilt cobalt turbo can be had for 500$ and they put down around 400hp to the wheels

·
Registered
ATS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so I am looking into the turbo you mentioned. The problem is with this, you would have to use a custom DP.

From what I have read so far the 09 Cobalt manifold and the turbos should bolt right up.

I dont have access to a shop to full test this theory. Reading one thing and experiencing something else are completely different.

----------

Ok so I am looking into the turbo you mentioned. The problem is with this, you would have to use a custom DP.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,029 Posts
So with this being said. I know we are rwd drive and the cobalt is FWD.

Shouldn't the turbo headers for a cobalt fit up to the block of the ats? In theory the exhaust manifold should be the same.
The ATS engine is mounted longitudinally (fore-aft) and the Cobalt (being FWD) has the engine mounted transversely (side-to-side). It's highly unlikely the exhaust manifolds are the same.

·
Registered
2014 ATS
125 Posts
The LTG motor in the ATS is nothing like the LNF or LHU. It is a new motor, designed from scratch. There are a few small parts that interchange, but nothing like you mentioned. The exhaust manifold, for example, does not come close to bolting up.

·
Registered
ATS 2.0 M6 FE3
605 Posts
The ATS engine is mounted longitudinally (fore-aft) and the Cobalt (being FWD) has the engine mounted transversely (side-to-side). It's highly unlikely the exhaust manifolds are the same.
The LNF in the Cobalt/HHR and the Solstice/Sky is the same assembled engine, the longitudinal vs transverse isn't the reason it won't work - its just because the engines are different that they won't work.

That said, any company doing lots of Ecotec turbo work (zzp, bnr, etc) will likely be able to carry over a lot of engineering work to the LTG.

·
Registered
ATS
2 Posts
The exhaust manifold, for example, does not come close to bolting up.
Are you completely sure? I'd like to see the LNF and LTG manifold bolt/exhaust port spacing lined up against each other. I have some plans in the works, and if the manifold pattern is the same, we could have a wide variety of options.

C

·
0 Posts
A friend of my boyfriend does a lot of work on the LSJ/LNF's including the GMHTP cars he has also been doing LTG's since early last year.
When I asked him about stuff like that he told me stuff like the exhaust manifolds have completely different bolt patterns, LTG has less bolts in completely different places.
Along with the valve covers having different layouts and ect.. like the dipstick is a tube on the side of the motor with LSJ/LNF's compared to the LTG's being on and through the valve cover along with a bunch of other stuff I forget about and do not understand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts