Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cadillac's conceit is getting annoying. They seem very proud of nailing certain aspects of this car, and neglecting/ignoring others.

Looks like the PDR was a last minute addition, and they had the guys at Best Buy rig it up for them.

Jump to 2:35 in this video to see the glory of Cadillac's integrated camera.
http://youtu.be/YcQM8QdEMyM

You can see it in a pic here too:
http://www.motorward.com/wp-content/images/2015/02/Cadillac-ATS-V-price-3.jpg

All this talk about gunning for BMW and the MB and wondering why no one gives them credit.

This is why.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Conceit? Look in the mirror, buddy. This is the most boastful yet, least noteworthy, complaint I may have ever seen about anything.

If you don't like the plastic, great. But to proclaim Cadillac as a failure or a poseur because the precious PDR isn't wrapped in alligator foreskin, or whatever your precious Germans use, is utterly ridiculous.

Why don't you go take your money to the place where image and superiority reign supreme. Just make sure to wave as that ATS-V is flying past you.

Seriously, the dumbest rant I've ever seen is from you...

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
Everyone is entitled to their opinion......but to make an opinion on something you haven't experienced yourself about a pre production show car that won't really exist until June is akin to saying your pregnant relatives unborn child is a conceited jerk....DO YOU REALLY KNOW FOR SURE?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Conceit? Look in the mirror, buddy. This is the most boastful yet, least noteworthy, complaint I may have ever seen about anything.

If you don't like the plastic, great. But to proclaim Cadillac as a failure or a poseur because the precious PDR isn't wrapped in alligator foreskin, or whatever your precious Germans use, is utterly ridiculous.

Why don't you go take your money to the place where image and superiority reign supreme. Just make sure to wave as that ATS-V is flying past you.

Seriously, the dumbest rant I've ever seen is from you...
How is this boastful at all?

Come on man - if Cadillac wants to play in the league that everyone says they want to play in, they're going to need to accept the same criticisms as the rest. Everyone is pitching me that this car is best in it's class. Did you see that PDR stuck on there? Take a look at the one in the Corvette, it's integrated into the mirror mount?

This has nothing to do with image or superiority, and I'm a firm believer that Cadillac doesn't need to discount a dime just because of the badge. But they are going to need to provide a good enough product.

I know this is the Cadillac forum (and you see the same type of resistance to criticism on any one else's forum), but I'm trying to be realistic here. Optioned up, this thing's going to be closing in on 70k. To me, that's a ton of money, and when I cut that check I'd expect to get something back commensurate for that worth.

----------

Everyone is entitled to their opinion......but to make an opinion on something you haven't experienced yourself about a pre production show car that won't really exist until June is akin to saying your pregnant relatives unborn child is a conceited jerk....DO YOU REALLY KNOW FOR SURE?
With all due respect, you've been a helpful guy here and answered some good questions for me, but I think you're off here. I am fully qualified to make an opinion on how that thing looks, because I've seen the pictures. I saw it in that video. If it's going to look different when it shows up in stores then DON'T SEND IT TO THE AUTO SHOW LOOKING LIKE THAT. It's in the press photo too!! How am I not qualified to comment on that.

PLUS, this board is FULL of people saying that this car is now the class leader. So everyone else who's never driven the car is qualified to say that, but I can't say that tacking on a camera like an afterthought looks cheap? Just like everyone saying the 8 speed Auto is as good as a dual clutch? DO YOU REALLY KNOW FOR SURE?

Do I really know for sure? YES. I know it as well as I know anything else about how this car looks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, but it's the details that make the differences. Stuff like this in the past is why Cadillac has a reputation hurdle to overcome (that seems to be much-maligned on this forum), and by continuing to not pay attention to those details, they won't overcome that hurdle.

I guess the thing that's disappointing about it, is that about 3 inches away sits this 'frameless' rear view mirror that shows some incredible attention to detail. It is a really, really sweet touch. I'm sure it would have been easier to grab a typical old homelink-enabled mirror like anyone else has, but this thing showed that SOMEONE cared about the impression this car casts. And then they just hang that camera off there like they forgot about it.

The camera itself is a big plus for GM here. They beat the market with that and I'd expect to see others copy later (it would be cool if they would also enable it as an always-on dash cam. Maybe it already is, I don't know).

But hey, if these kinds of criticisms are unwelcome here, I get it. I'll get back to cheerleader mode and just repeat what the brass says in the press releases.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
How is this boastful at all?

Come on man - if Cadillac wants to play in the league that everyone says they want to play in, they're going to need to accept the same criticisms as the rest. Everyone is pitching me that this car is best in it's class. Did you see that PDR stuck on there? Take a look at the one in the Corvette, it's integrated into the mirror mount?

This has nothing to do with image or superiority, and I'm a firm believer that Cadillac doesn't need to discount a dime just because of the badge. But they are going to need to provide a good enough product.

I know this is the Cadillac forum (and you see the same type of resistance to criticism on any one else's forum), but I'm trying to be realistic here. Optioned up, this thing's going to be closing in on 70k. To me, that's a ton of money, and when I cut that check I'd expect to get something back commensurate for that worth.

----------

With all due respect, you've been a helpful guy here and answered some good questions for me, but I think you're off here. I am fully qualified to make an opinion on how that thing looks, because I've seen the pictures. I saw it in that video. If it's going to look different when it shows up in stores then DON'T SEND IT TO THE AUTO SHOW LOOKING LIKE THAT. It's in the press photo too!! How am I not qualified to comment on that.

PLUS, this board is FULL of people saying that this car is now the class leader. So everyone else who's never driven the car is qualified to say that, but I can't say that tacking on a camera like an afterthought looks cheap? Just like everyone saying the 8 speed Auto is as good as a dual clutch? DO YOU REALLY KNOW FOR SURE?

Do I really know for sure? YES. I know it as well as I know anything else about how this car looks.
i acknowledge that you are entitled to your opinion, i'm merely suggesting that you might be premature in doing so ...you could be correct and they show up on lots tacky or they could be fine.....pre production/show cars are often different from the ones on the street and they are often unfinished when they are on the show circuit and are still being engineered and refined, thus I won't say until I see it...I've already ordered 3 so it won't be long, and I will likely attend a Cadillac behind the wheel event prior to their arrival

one thing i'm curious about THIS IS THE CORVETTE PDR and the camera on CURRENT ATS already looks similiar to this ...so I'm curious whether Cadillac production PDR will use the existing camera position or have two cameras

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What does the forward camera on the current ATS do? Seems like a no-brainer location for the PDR...

Also, re: drive events - are there any public drive-type events coming up? (I gather you're a dealer and thus the event you're going to may or may not be open to the public). My dealer thought there *might* be. Wasnt' very certain. They said they had several cars on order and would likely see them in May, but couldn't promise a drive, in the event some buyers come in with deposits and speak for those cars.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
plant startup is May 11th so no way that dealer is going to see any before june

don't know about any public showings

the existing camera is there for the intellibeam automatic high beam headlights, the anti collision warning and the lane departure warning, i'm guessing it's the same for corvette as well....the sensor next to the camera is for rain sensing wipers these sensors are in addition to the proximity sensors on the bumper and if equipped with adaptive cruise control/auto collision braking you get an additional radar in the grill

·
Registered
NONE
30 Posts
I looked at the jpg and the video. I have no problem with the execution of this item. Obviously everyone has their own opinion. I suspect I could drive this car happily day in and day out and not give a flying fig that it's execution might be less than some might expect from a german rival.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Cadillac's conceit is getting annoying. They seem very proud of nailing certain aspects of this car, and neglecting/ignoring others.

Looks like the PDR was a last minute addition, and they had the guys at Best Buy rig it up for them.

Jump to 2:35 in this video to see the glory of Cadillac's integrated camera.
http://youtu.be/YcQM8QdEMyM

You can see it in a pic here too:
http://www.motorward.com/wp-content/images/2015/02/Cadillac-ATS-V-price-3.jpg

All this talk about gunning for BMW and the MB and wondering why no one gives them credit.

This is why.
If the objection is it is not integrated and looked like an add on, because of its small size, I actually like the fact it is visible and a potential conversational piece, better than a "well conceited" hidden item. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
CTS-V (Black 2014), CTS-V (Red obsession 2014)
776 Posts
Yeah, but it's the details that make the differences. Stuff like this in the past is why Cadillac has a reputation hurdle to overcome (that seems to be much-maligned on this forum), and by continuing to not pay attention to those details, they won't overcome that hurdle.

I guess the thing that's disappointing about it, is that about 3 inches away sits this 'frameless' rear view mirror that shows some incredible attention to detail. It is a really, really sweet touch. I'm sure it would have been easier to grab a typical old homelink-enabled mirror like anyone else has, but this thing showed that SOMEONE cared about the impression this car casts. And then they just hang that camera off there like they forgot about it.

The camera itself is a big plus for GM here. They beat the market with that and I'd expect to see others copy later (it would be cool if they would also enable it as an always-on dash cam. Maybe it already is, I don't know).

But hey, if these kinds of criticisms are unwelcome here, I get it. I'll get back to cheerleader mode and just repeat what the brass says in the press releases.
Criticize all you want, but with such strong feelings about Cadillac's continued "inferiority", we assume your next car will be another brand that you are happier with. Don't put yourself through this misery. And don't expect everyone on the "cadillac enthisiasts forum" to agree with your hypercritical assessments. Most of us decided this is the car we wanted, because it was the best choice for our personal automotive desires and needs, and many of us are excited about the next generations because we are happy with our current cars. Your purchasing dollars speak louder than typing to the cadillac enthusiasts. Be sure you next car is one that is perfect for you, and let the rest of us suffer in piece with our inferior American cars.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
this reminds me...he mentions the frameless mirror as incredible...i actually dislike it a lot and find it ironic this is pointed out as a positive and the camera as a negative

the mirror is beautiful and is nice in the lower trims....in my premium however it has autodimming and the problem is auto dimming does not cover dim the whole mirror is leaves an eighth of an inch border undimmed and this border blinds you all the time if the road crests or dips causing the headlights behind to drift toward the edge of the mirror ...you are just driving along and you get these dazzling flashes aimed at you

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T RWD FE3
4,561 Posts
A camera.
This is a thread, about how a camera, that records lap times; something that no other competitor has, is somehow slightly unsightly to one person.

I'm suddenly reminded of why I stopped posting in here. At least Audizine is entertaining in it's stupidity.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is a thread, about how a camera, that records lap times; something that no other competitor has, is somehow slightly unsightly to one person.

I'm suddenly reminded of why I stopped posting in here. At least Audizine is entertaining in it's stupidity.
Yeah, it's about a camera. It's also about Cadillac's inability to execute all the way. If you don't care how it looks, why don't you just duct tape a GoPro to the hood? (would also be a great conversation starter for the guy who noted it above). Looks matter. Execution matters. Quality matters. From all appearances Cadillac has the engineering and drivetrain sorted quite well. But if that all that they've sorted quite well, I hope they're selling at a serious discount to your competitors.

I know, I know - everyone's just going to point to the horsepower and the steering and assure me that this is a far better car than the M3. And that stuff matters. My cars do see regular track days. But most of the time they drive me to work and my kids to school. So other stuff matters too.

And yeah, I get all the stuff about how you're all happy with Cadillac how it is, and it's good enough for you, but that flies in the face of what Cadillac says they're trying to do here. They keep saying they want to compete with (or outcompete) the Germans with this car. This is not going to get so-called conquest sales.

Obviously, I'm here because I'm shopping for my next car. I hope the ATS-V has a nicer interior than the base ATS. The fact is, I'm currently driving a 6 year old M3, and it has a better quality interior and nav/infotainment system than a brand new ATS Premium I sat in. I'm not sure how amazingly fast this car can possibly be, but it had better be insane.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts