Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 E92 BMW 335i
10,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does it exactly do with the transmission? I know it adapts to your driving style, but how so?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,114 Posts
:bouncy: A performance algorithm begins to modify the transmission response, shift speeds, line pressures, shift points, and who-knows-what-else when the PCM and its input sensors realize that you are not driving like Grammaw. In the world of microprocessors, instantaneous is slow, so things happen to your entire powertrain - engine, trans, suspension - very quickly. The car literally changes character to accomodate rapid steering changes, acceleration, roll, yaw, braking, and speed. Think of an autopilot that not only blindly holds a set course, speed, and altitude, but also interacts with you as one of its major inputs.

·
Registered
2007 E92 BMW 335i
10,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, really interesting how all that works. If all goes well I'll be looking at an '03 STS on Wednesday (27,258 miles!) and if all goes well, end up trading in my SLS for it soon.

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
For instance, if you enter a curve at high speed, it will either keep the same gear (not upshift) or downshift automatically. This is one of the things that PAS does - support 'spirited' driving.

All this is explained in the STS FSM. Get one. It's several thousand pages of very interesting reading.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,114 Posts
:thumbsup: If you're going from an SLS with Stabilitrak and conventional road sensing suspension to an '03 STS with MagneRide, prepare for a happy shock as you learn to drive a true sports sedan all over again. In town and on the road, floating along at 70, it's a Cadillac. Get it on a country road, push the steering, cornering, and power to the limit, and it becomes scary fast. It is NOT a straight-line 1/4-mile wonder; never will be. It's a fast luxury sedan. (Learn how to use the gear selector and "Traction Off", and you'll be respected in the stoplight contests...)(Save money for H/V tires..what's the driver door sticker say for tire rating?)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts