Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking here for about a week since we purchased our '04 early build SRX with Nav/Bose/No XM. This one has the analog squiggly antenna and no XM module, so from everything I read here adding fun stuff like the ipod and xm or sirius is next to impossible without taking it to GM for the scan tool treatment, an expensive XM emulator, blah blah blah.

:lies: What the heck guys? It's freakin' simple!!!!!

The 20 pin connector plugged into the CD changer is taking low level audio from the AM/FM/CD/DVD/NAV sources to the Bose amplifier. Check this out: take a stereo cable with an 1/8" plug on one end. Plug that into an Ipod. Strip the wires on the other end so you have L positive, L neg, R pos, and R neg. Pull the 20 pin connector out of the back of the CD changer. Turn on the ipod, and push the L pos bare wire into the pin on the top row and 5th from the right (pin 5?) Push the L neg bare wire into the bottom row and 5th from the right (pin 15?).

Turn the radio on and you should hear your ipod. Turn the volume up and down on the radio using your steering wheel controls. Bueno! Fade it front and back, balance it left and right. Mucho gusto! Play with the fancy DSP. Simona!

So there's where I'm at . . . I'm going to cut into this feed to the BOSE amp and probably go with a A/B/C switch so I can select between the AM/FM/CD/DVD/NAV sources, the iPod, and the XM radio I have. The only problem I can think of is when I'm using the iPod or XM I won't be able to hear NAV guidance or Onstar.

Anyway, the Bose systems in these cars are way too nice to be used with a crappy FM modulator. Apologies if this is really old news to you guys, but I was pretty happy when I figured it out, and try as I might, I COULD NOT come up with this in numerous searches of this forum, searches of the web, and consultation with several shops.

Chris

·
Registered
2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320
2,623 Posts
The Sirius is just about as easy as what you did, mine works great and I don't own an Ipod so I stopped at Sirius.

·
Registered
Cadillac
17 Posts
OK - so if I am reading this correctly, I could simply take a stereo cable with a female connector (see below) at one end and bare wires at the other, pull the 20 PIN connector to the CD Changer, splice in the correct bare ends of the stereo cable to the correct PINs, then connect my Ipod using a Male/male stereo cable?

The idea would be to drill a small hole on the side of the dash (beside Stereo) for placement of the female stereo connector to allow easy plug / unplug of the Ipod.

Am I thinking this out correctly or what? It sounds WAAAY too simple.

·
Registered
05' SRX V6 2WD
13 Posts
push the L pos bare wire into the pin on the top row and 5th from the right (pin 5?) Push the L neg bare wire into the bottom row and 5th from the right (pin 15?).

Chris
What do you do with R pos and R neg wires? Where do you connect those?

also... do you have to switch your deck to CD changer or XM... cause I dont really get how can you change DSP, bass, mid, hi, volume and others after the signal already leaves to the amp..

let us know..

regards, Bart.

·
Registered
2013 ATS Premium 3.6, 1989 Allanté
4,513 Posts
someone mentioned something similar to this and said to put a cd with silent audio in slot #6.

he also said, tap into the cd player lines but wasnt super specific.

if the op could provide pictures that would be excellent

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
What do you do with R pos and R neg wires? Where do you connect those?

also... do you have to switch your deck to CD changer or XM... cause I dont really get how can you change DSP, bass, mid, hi, volume and others after the signal already leaves to the amp..

let us know..

regards, Bart.
o wait i re-read and i get it now haha.

youre adding the ipod in on the headunit side. the head unit takes all the digital info and turns it into audio, then send it to an amp or signal processing unit to be processed. the equalizer functions, volume functions fade dsp etc are all handled at the processing unit.

since youre tapping in at the cable AFTER the head unit. the ipod audio will play ALONG with any audio you currently have chosen, because you are adding it in. then it will be processed like any other audio coming from the head unit.

so again, i would LOVE a picture of the connector you are talkin about along with a pin diagram pleeeeaaase

·
Registered
4,513 Posts

the big blue one is 16 pin per side, so 32 pin, and ive tried most of those with no success. by counting in the pic the other white connector has 8 per side so 16 total, the only one left is the one directly below the big blue one but i could have sworn that was a 16 pin as well. o well iguess ill rip it open tonight and find out

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
THANKS,

ok so do we want low level signal radio or amplifier

and if we use the amplifier + should i assume we use the bose - ?

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
Im going to work on a little project testing on my Sisters 05 SRX with nav xm rse and such as well as a members SRX with nav xm an no rse to see if I can build a harness which will allow an aux input which can be switched on through the cars stock touch screen, no need for an AB switch or anything, it will be activated through the screen and act as a true aux input.

If theres enough interest I may make a few extras.

·
Registered
2004 SRX N* AWD
27 Posts
Im going to work on a little project testing on my Sisters 05 SRX with nav xm rse and such as well as a members SRX with nav xm an no rse to see if I can build a harness which will allow an aux input which can be switched on through the cars stock touch screen, no need for an AB switch or anything, it will be activated through the screen and act as a true aux input.

If theres enough interest I may make a few extras.
I'm definitely interested.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts