Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'11 CTS V Coupe
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered some Percy's dead soft gaskets for the Kooks headers that are 'in production'. The gaskets arrived and they are thicker than I expected. Will I be needing longer header bolts? I'm trying to get all my parts together before the headers arrive so I can jump on the install the moment they arrive.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
The Carbon gaskets that Kooks will send you with your headers are also made by Percy's, and in my opinion a better gasket than the aluminum ones. The only real advantage to the "dead soft" aluminum is the fact that they're reusable, but unless you plan on taking your headers off a lot, I'd go with the carbons. Oh wait- I did! :D

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,042 Posts
I would replace the header bolts with ARP stuff.

They make a stainless stud (use anti-sieze) with a 12 point nut and washer set for the LS series for a little over $100.00.

part #434-1301

Don't lose a washer or a nut, cuz you will be bummin.:eek:

Tighten to 18 ft lbs........
Heavy,

Do you have enough room to work the headers over the studs? Having not installed headers (yet) on my V, I'm having flashbacks to a previous project car where I had difficulty sliping the headers over the studs due to tight spaces.

·
Registered
05 maggied CTS-V, 2017 NSX Whoo Hoo!
8,810 Posts
Actually it gives you something to "hang" the header on. :thumbsup:

Remove the coil pacs, the battery and the spark plugs and you end with enough room (I did anyway).

I put the headers in from the bottom up (underneath the car).

I suggest you retighten everything after burning a tank of gas.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
Anybody else have an opinion on the gaskets, I was about to order the dead soft percy gaskets.

I don't plan to pull the headers on and off but I don't want any leaks either and $40 for the gaskets seems like cheap insurance if they do help to not have any leaks. I will need to pull these headers off in another four years to get the V smogged but I could just buy the Percy dead soft aluminum gaskets then.

I have seen a torque spec of 15 and 18lbs. Which is the correct number and is it different for the 2 gasket types?

I'm not sure if I'm in Mod Hell yet but I feel like I am at the gates looking in...:bouncy:

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
If you're not switching to the ARP studs, definitely reuse the stock manifold bolts instead of the ones Kooks sends with the headers. While they look nice and shiny, they are a lower grade bolt than the factory ones and therefore more likely to strip, seize or snap off.

CTSV_Rob: I'm using the Carbon Percy's gaskets that are included in the Kooks kit, and have no leaks whatsoever. My techs torqued the bolts to 17 ft/lbs, then went to 18 after 100 miles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts