Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I had the oil changed at Jiffy Lube on my 2000 Catera and realized that the car has true dual exchaust and was tring to figure out the flow. So I came up with an idea to remove the resinators that are between the cats and the muffler. After removing the resinetors the car now has a nice tone to the exchaust and made the car allot faster acceleration. We all know that the Catera is not a sports car but we all want to be able to walk on your local Honda boyz. One other thing I found out about the Catera is shutting off the traction control and turning on the sport shift then, keeping the car in 3rd gear really make the car wake up. Has anyone tries this and had the same results?(Been a Catera owner for 2 weeks)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I dont use sport mode, its inconsistent for me. My car will hold the gear untill redline if the throttle is about 85% or more. These cars have pretty good passing power, especially when it downshifts around 40mph.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Does it have an annoying ricer buzzing sound without the resonators?? I've heard other 3L V6 cars with exhausts and they all sounded like rice.

·
Registered
97 Catera
57 Posts
Sounds like a good idea, but im very new at this so i was wandering how to remove the resonators. Could u help me?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just went to a carx and asked them if they can remove them. they charged me 35.00 for removal and new pipe, the best thing is for one there heavy as hell for one and now u hav made the exchaust more of a free flowwing straight threw exchaust. plus a very sport but not ricer sound

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A little interior noise, nothing ricey sounding i think it sounds pretty dam nice because its a caddy not a ricer:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 1997 Cateras: black&ocean green
698 Posts
I am actually thinking cutting off the last muffler and just doing dual side exhaust. That is supposed to be an easy trick, because we do have dual exhaust 'til last box. I guess, directing the pipes to the sides should be pretty easy. That should increase power :thumbsup: and noise :helpless:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you'll pick up more power by getting rid of the resonators than the muffler because the muffler are a straight threw design and the resonators are not. getting rid of the resonators makes a straight threw exchaust so that eqauls free flowing faster flow and more power:lildevil:

·
Registered
1998 Catera
89 Posts
I agree with Cat. And it's easy to put the resonator back in. BUT I had a bad experience with leaving the shifter in 3rd and "sport' mode. was doing the usuall 120 mph on the county road. The rev limiter cut in and I looked down to see the tach at 6000 rpm. And the shifter in 3rd. Threw the stick ito drive and away I went. ----- for about 5 more seconds. Then there was the unmistakable frap of the timing belt breaking, followed by a series of 'crunch, crunch, ting, dong, dong. And the silence you only know if you've flown a glider. Then the oil that was poring our of the oil pan was sucked back into the passanger compartment. I prayed,, " NO spark, Lord,,, NO spark, PLEASE! As atomized oil will explode as well as dynamite. THe block, apon inspection looked like swish cheese. holes through both sides of the back of block, the bottom of the engine and oil pan. The connecting rod even took out the starting motor. Maybe it was just 'time'. engine had 230,000 km. Destroyed the head as well. rear jounal bearing was hanging from the bolts. Well I'm still here to 'talk' about it.:hammer:

·
Registered
1998 Catera
89 Posts
Dear Santa,:xlol:
I WANT HEADERS!!! For all the Cateras in the world. At least that'll bring the per/unit cost down to something I can afford!
Has anywone run across a reference from Europe of the Opel MV6 being equiped with headers and dual superchargers for police persuit vehicles? I'm sure I read that somewhere. But can't find the link anymore.:banghead:

·
Registered
1998 Catera
89 Posts
While we're making a wish list, how about a better, i.e. shorter, cold air intake mod that we can all make ourselves. I have some ideas but don't have a heated garage to mess around in.:annoyed:

·
Registered
442 Posts
free flowing exhaust will not make that much more power on an N/A car especially with the junk log type manifolds the cat has.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
figgie said:
free flowing exhaust will not make that much more power on an N/A car especially with the junk log type manifolds the cat has.

your wrong it made a noticable difference in my 2000 catera and any car it would help breath on top. what's the poinet to put on a cold air intake to help the car breath better but then choke it on the other end. remember the faster the air goes in and comes out the quicker the car is. :banghead:

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have a 98 catera and i removed the resonator 3-4 months ago. there was not a noticable differance but 98 was the year before the computer reprogram and required premium gas. i did find cams from piper cams thats worth 30HP or more as far as the exaust goes the gto exaust will fit the cateras the 2004 gtos exaust will anyways.:bouncy:

·
Registered
98 Catera
22 Posts
I recently talked to the people at borla, flowmaster, and magnaflow and they said that the kit is not bolt on and even if it was changed to fit a catera it would sound terrible.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts