Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something I have noticed, especially at my new job. It baffles me. What is it about car shopping that is SO mystifying and difficult for many consumers? I talk to people with pie-in-the-sky expectations every day. You don't go into Walmart and haggle the price of a new TV, but in the car business, it's practically expected that you're going to haggle and fight for the best price.

So, this got me thinking, and I came up with a list of ways people could become better car shoppers AND save themselves money. If you can't beat the system, fight it, right?

www.autowaffle.com/10-used-car-shopping-tips-to-make-your-life-easier/

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Good points. I think people go car shopping having no idea what is available and general prices creating a nightmare for dealers. A second opinion or the words of wisdom from another can be vital as you said.
I laugh when someone starts complaining about all the fees added on they found after the sale, attention to detail as they will bite you in the arse.

·
Registered
1979 Coupe deVille, 1995 Sedan DeVille (sold)
1,846 Posts
Re: People suck at car shopping.

It's not just the customer that expects to haggle the price. The dealer expects it, too. Therefore, the price is set high to allow for the expected "reduction".

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
Re: People suck at car shopping.

People don't go into Walmart and haggle the price of a new TV because the price of TV is fixed and they know that the prices are not artificially inflated to leave room for future haggling.

Two years ago, while I Was shopping for a car, a black on black 2008 A4 really caught my eyes, and I really wanted to buy the car. The price was high, higher than the KBB or what other local dealers were asking.

I told the salesman: Look, I like this car, and I want to buy this car, but the asking price is not reasonable. Give me a good price and I will give you cash right now and will sign the papers.

He told me pretty much the same thing that you said: When you go to Walmart do you negotiate on the prices, or pay the full asking price? Why do you negotiate here? I disliked his
answer so bad that literally stood up and left and never looked back. I was going to buy the car, but that guy with that line of logic repelled me.

Roo, I know you are in car business, and I understand dealing with people and customers can ve very tricky. But do not blame shoppers for something that has been the norm of your own business for decades.

We all know that in today's car market, prices are not fixed, and there is always room for negotiation (except if you buy from carmax or Tesla). As a customer, actually I prefer the fixed-price shopping experience from Walmart much much more than the tricky shopping experience from car dealers with all of their games and haggling. Tesla is building a model 3. If its price range is going to be similiar to BMW 3 series, and if it is going to be as good as model S, I would be more than happy to leave conventional dealers and the haggling that comes with it behind and go to Tesla and pay the fixed asking price. But till then, I will be haggling with the dealers when I am buying a new or used car.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Transparency. It is widely lacked. And, thus, leaving both sides to battle it out.

This creates a hostile environment that leaves both sides in survival mode.

When I bought my V1, the salesman was very nice. I ordered mine before they were available for sale. I heard CA dealers marking up to the moon. My MA dealer told me they were selling for MSRP. I thought the '04 V was a great value, as is, and we agreed that moment.

My V2 came with some haggling(and a rogue internet salesman for the same dealer throwing every lie to me about the car's worth) but it was not a need. The dealer knew my stance and my top price. After I missed out to another buyer that deal fell through. The dealer came down and I came up. I went home with my demo model V for a fair price.

I never let a new car purchase become a must have that day scenario. That and reasonable expectations of what I should get as a customer, while letting the seller stay in business, keeps things pleasurable for me...

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Transparency. It is widely lacked. And, thus, leaving both sides to battle it out.

This creates a hostile environment that leaves both sides in survival mode.
This, x100,000,000.....000.

That's the thing most people don't get.

Seconded with your last line, too.

·
Registered
2008 SRX V-6 AWD
141 Posts
It seems to be the nature of the beast.
Just picked up a used SRX from a Cadillac dealer who told me the price in the window is their best, lowest, no haggle price.
Nice car, just not my favorite color combo, and they were great about taking care of some issues I found but I wanted to go see a comparable SRX an hour away that was my preferred color.
Within minutes of leaving the dealership they called and magically found another $577 they could cut off the price.

Not to mention Extended Service Plan prices.. called around on those and decided not to go with it until the one company offered bumper to bumper (minus the usual stuff), plus wheel and tire coverage, and if I paid the whole price at one time they would waive the $100 deductible. Told them I had to think about it and magically they dropped almost $900 off their price.

For me, if a dealer will not haggle the price then they better cough up some extras on free services and stuff I am going to buy anyways or I will go to the next dealership.
I have NEVER found a "Best Price, no Haggle" dealership deal that can't be beat with a bit of leg work.

I never expect a salesman to lose money on the sale or commit career suicide, but haggle is part of the job.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Transparency. It is widely lacked. And, thus, leaving both sides to battle it out. This creates a hostile environment that leaves both sides in survival mode.

..... reasonable expectations of what I should get as a customer, while letting the seller stay in business, keeps things pleasurable for me...
Very Zen BigJim. Namaste. :)

·
Registered
90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS
1,173 Posts
This is something I have noticed, especially at my new job. It baffles me. What is it about car shopping that is SO mystifying and difficult for many consumers? I talk to people with pie-in-the-sky expectations every day. You don't go into Walmart and haggle the price of a new TV, but in the car business, it's practically expected that you're going to haggle and fight for the best price.

So, this got me thinking, and I came up with a list of ways people could become better car shoppers AND save themselves money. If you can't beat the system, fight it, right?

www.autowaffle.com/10-used-car-shopping-tips-to-make-your-life-easier/
I heard that! When I worked in used cars I came across my share of different customers. Some are realistic & drama free while others are not from this planet!

Hang in there I know it's a tough line of work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
I always begin a lease negotiation by establishing the price to be paid for the car, not the monthly lease payment.

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
I had a car dealership really work with me to get a good car I could afford. My sister worked there and was one of their top sellers. The actual tip-top best seller handled my sale, and made a few hundred dollars off of it at most. I used to know the actual number, but that was back in 2000.

The sales manager was incredibly honest with me, and told me he'd sell me every car I ever wanted at the bare minimum as long as my sister worked there, and then explained that "If you weren't her brother, we'd treat you like every other customer - we'd gut you like a fish." I was shocked, but glad to be on the same side as the dealer. I always found this an extremely odd experience, and a little disconcerting.

·
Registered
19,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I heard that! When I worked in used cars I came across my share of different customers. Some are realistic & drama free while others are not from this planet!

Hang in there I know it's a tough line of work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Nah. It's honestly easy. I have a lot of fun at my job because I actually approach it as I am helping the people find what they want - not that I'm trying to make money off of them.

I mean, I know that I am, but still.

·
Registered
19,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I'm just the Internet guy. They don't deal with me directly in that respect, so I feel less guilty sharing how not to get ripped off. All I do is get you in the door, lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts