Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2005 CTS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My faceplate is peeling around my radio/cd player. Can it be repaired or repainted, or does anyone know where I can purchase a new one? Thanks

·
Super Moderator 2003 Deville Base SEMPER PARATUS
4,333 Posts
My faceplate is peeling around my radio/cd player. Can it be repaired or repainted, or does anyone know where I can purchase a new one? Thanks
Welcome to the forums! This is a huge site that covers decades of Cadillac models. You'll need to provide more info about your year/model/trim level etc. Give us that and I'll move your question to the proper page.

·
4,333 Posts
It's a 2005 Cadillac CTS which has absolutely nothing to do with my question at all.
This can happen on any car ever made! Get the picture?
True, it can happen on any car, but we can't give you specific direction on repair or replacement without knowing what car we're looking at.. I've moved your question to the correct forum.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The guys and gals here can tell you what works best for your specific vehicle. Some cars are just plastic, others are wood paneled, some are coated, Vinyl-ed, textured, etc. Peeling coating can mean a lot of things. This is why the clarification was needed.

To answer your question, just like any other car, it can be replaced or painted. The technique is what will need to be defined based off of the car/panel type. For the first gen CTS the panels around the CD player pops out and off, like most other cars. It is plastic held in with clips, like most other cars.

What is common, but not on every car is the rubberized coating on all the paneling giving it that soft touch feel, which is peeling. As mentioned above, buy a replacement or JY/Ebay one with little to no wear, or peel/sand all the stuff off and repaint. Paint with a good plastic paint, or to get the same look and feel back just plasti-dip (or spray) it with matte black.

·
4,333 Posts
The guys and gals here can tell you what works best for your specific vehicle. Some cars are just plastic, others are wood paneled, some are coated, Vinyl-ed, textured, etc. Peeling coating can mean a lot of things. This is why the clarification was needed.

To answer your question, just like any other car, it can be replaced or painted. The technique is what will need to be defined based off of the car/panel type. For the first gen CTS the panels around the CD player pops out and off, like most other cars. It is plastic held in with clips, like most other cars.

What is common, but not on every car is the rubberized coating on all the paneling giving it that soft touch feel, which is peeling. As mentioned above, buy a replacement or JY/Ebay one with little to no wear, or peel/sand all the stuff off and repaint. Paint with a good plastic paint, or to get the same look and feel back just plasti-dip (or spray) it with matte black.
good thought. Plasti-dip might be a good choice for that.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I did the plasti-dip spray on the chrome hood strip in front and the result was a flat black, soft feeling coating. Almost identical to what is the radio and bezels. Is very very nice. I did a side piece panel and you will be hard pressed to find the difference between factory and spray.

·
4,333 Posts
I did the plasti-dip spray on the chrome hood strip in front and the result was a flat black, soft feeling coating. Almost identical to what is the radio and bezels. Is very very nice. I did a side piece panel and you will be hard pressed to find the difference between factory and spray.
I did the same for my grille, and top coated with Plasti dip glossifier. Side benefit--bugs don't stick to it.

·
2005 CTS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks, I appreciate it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts