Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear bumber has started peeling, had the same problem with the front bumper when i purchased the car. the front had a crappy touch up done to it, and just the clear was peeling. just wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

it looks like there is paint under the peeling part i know the rear could have been repainted as well but its not just the clear that is coming off its the color too.

any help is appreciated

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
If its under warranty still take it in.
They should take care of it so long as it wasnt a respray.

·
Registered
2005 STS V6-1SC
411 Posts
Don't know what year your car is but your problem doesn't sound like a warranty problem sounds like could be possibly be previous owner didn't take care of exterior too well and a quicky and poorly done touch up job was done. Assuming the car is accident free might need to have a really good paint and body man repaint bumpers properly. Peeling paint is sometimes the result of not properly preparing the area before painting, such as removing old paint, cleaning, priming, etc.

·
Registered
05 STS
512 Posts
Got a simular problem and here's what I was told............. due to bad repaint. I had the front bumper repainted to take care of some minor chips. The GM body shop did not strip the old paint down to the base plastic. They painted over the original paint. Lots of chipping and peeling. I have been told to have it redone and make sure they strip it down. Waiting for winter to pass so have not gotten it redone so am not sure this is the solution but sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
Cadillac
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i had the front bumper redone and the grill painted with it too, ill probably get that rear valence done when i get the rear bumper painted

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6 AWD
1,005 Posts
Got a simular problem and here's what I was told............. due to bad repaint. I had the front bumper repainted to take care of some minor chips. The GM body shop did not strip the old paint down to the base plastic. They painted over the original paint. Lots of chipping and peeling. I have been told to have it redone and make sure they strip it down. Waiting for winter to pass so have not gotten it redone so am not sure this is the solution but sounds reasonable.
It's always a good thing to strip all of the old paint off before repainting. Scuffing existing paint before painting is ok but removal of existing paint is a better solution.

·
Registered
2006 SRX
2 Posts
My 06 SRX paint is peeling on the top of the rear bumper, this piece comes around to the back of the wheel wells. Will be taking in to dealer for possible warranty, the car is certified.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts