Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
2014 ATS
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my hose was crack where it slides on....so i changed it and decided to go ahead and just replace the valves .....i noticed a small amount of oil on both... is that normal?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,531 Posts
PCV - Positive Crankcase Ventilation - moves a LOT of air through the engine interior to carry off condensation moisture and acid vapor caused by blowby. There's a LOT of oil vapor in that air due to the churning action of the engine guts as oil is pumped to various parts for lubrication and cooling. Yes, it's normal to have oily PCV lines. Some engines actually "burn" engine oil through the PCV system due to either oil overfill or interior splash baffles that don't work quite right.

A "catch can" does nothing but trap some of the carryover oil that would otherwise be sucked into the intake manifold and burned. If you periodically dump the catch can into your shop oil bucket or if he engine burns it it's still "oil consumption". 2 or 3 ounces of engine oil in 1,000 miles is nothing - that's 1/2 quart - 16 ounces - in 5,000 miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts