Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason YouTube is recommending videos that y’all about the PCV valve in our V6 engines. They say the clogging and small opening is part of the reason for timing chain issues and oil consumption.

Is this true? If so, do I need to modify the valve? Did GM make a bigger one for the 2014 and newer motors? Do I just buy the updated one? Sorry if this is already a topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 SRX4 & 2010 CTS4 sedan / Non-Cadillacs: 2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Chev Cruze LT
558 Posts
The great debate.

Pull it. If it's clogged, do the mod. I modified mine a couple of years ago but mine was bone dry at the time and likely didn't need it. I've pulled mine a few times and there has been more oil over time but, frankly, less since I changed the cam cover gaskets and done some general tightening up of hoses.

It is not a cure-all IMO.

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
2,126 Posts
I believe that GM made a modification to the PCV orifice prior to 2014...had yours been replaced or is this on a different car than your 2008 Bast CTS???...

good luck

Bill

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The great debate.

Pull it. If it's clogged, do the mod. I modified mine a couple of years ago but mine was bone dry at the time and likely didn't need it. I've pulled mine a few times and there has been more oil over time but, frankly, less since I changed the cam cover gaskets and done some general tightening up of hoses.

It is not a cure-all IMO.
How does it look

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe that GM made a modification to the PCV orifice prior to 2014...had yours been replaced or is this on a different car than your 2008 Bast CTS???...

good luck

Bill
It’s for the CTS. Not replaced,never been worked on.

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it's not clogged for sure. I would leave it alone.
I really appreciate ya northern. You are very quick to help and have a lot of knowledge. I’ve never been a good mechanic, but I love cars and detailing. The minor maintenance I’ve been doing recently really is satisfying and I want to learn more.

This CTS was my grandmother’s. She chose for me to have it because I would care for it the best, even though I didn’t need a 3rd car.

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
2,823 Posts
My 2012 with LFX has bigger holes and has no oil usage.

My 2009 had about a quart every 800 miles.. Still was 800 miles after I opened up the holes. Was told if I had installed a catch can it would have taken care of the oil usage problem after the holes were enlarged.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts